Japanese Novel and Light Novel Book Club discussion

Recommendations > Do you listen to anything while reading?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shintaro (last edited Aug 07, 2018 08:36PM) (new)

Shintaro Mofujin (shinmofu) | 22 comments Hey everyone, this is Mofujin! I was wondering what everyone typically finds themselves listening to (if you do that is) while reading or writing! If you don't, it'd be nice to know why, but I'd imagine it's so you can focus easier.

For me, I usually read without listening to anything at all, but from time to time, I like to spice things up with some classical music or game BGMS (Like Phoenix Wright and Cave Story) as background noise.

Please share your own personal preference and reasoning here, I'd love to know what others do!

message 2: by Junkomi (new)

Junkomi Eno | 5 comments I love metal music, but oddly enough when writing out yuri romance scenes I listen to metal (Rings of Saturn, Infant Annihilator, Inferi, Winter Nightmare), J-Metal (Broken By The Scream,) or J-Pop (Konomi Suzuki) it is pretty funny, you would think that writing a romantic BDSM scene it would be to like some love song, not a song about people dying, space and whatever else.

As for my reason...well, I have just always loved metal music ^-^; I guess for most people it would be hard to focus with loud screaming, fast drum blast beats and insane guitar riffs but for me I find that I focus and write quite well.

message 3: by Selena (new)

Selena (sailorstar165) | 1521 comments Mod
I'll usually have youtube running in the background just so I have some background noise.

I also like listening to orchestra music while reading.

message 4: by Shintaro (last edited Aug 07, 2018 06:31PM) (new)

Shintaro Mofujin (shinmofu) | 22 comments Wolfy wrote: "I love metal music, but oddly enough when writing out yuri romance scenes I listen to metal (Rings of Saturn, Infant Annihilator, Inferi, Winter Nightmare), J-Metal (Broken By The Scream,) or J-Pop..."

That's really interesting, Wolfy! Listening to metal while reading/writing might be a bit much for me lol, but if it works for you then that's great! Inspiration comes to everyone in different ways.

So the light novel you talked about in your intro post was a Yuri romance story? Sounds neat! I'd love to hear about it when you're finished!

Selena wrote: "I'll usually have youtube running in the background just so I have some background noise.

I also like listening to orchestra music while reading."

Thank you for sharing, Selena! Nice to know it isn't just me haha, Pachelbel's Canon in D is a personal favorite of mine.

message 5: by Junkomi (new)

Junkomi Eno | 5 comments Shintaro wrote: "Wolfy wrote: "I love metal music, but oddly enough when writing out yuri romance scenes I listen to metal (Rings of Saturn, Infant Annihilator, Inferi, Winter Nightmare), J-Metal (Broken By The Scr..."

Yeah, everyone is different ^-^ As for the light novel, I can PM you about it if you like but I do have volume one of it done (minus trying to fix mistakes and all.)

message 6: by Shintaro (last edited Aug 07, 2018 06:38PM) (new)

Shintaro Mofujin (shinmofu) | 22 comments Wolfy wrote: "Shintaro wrote: "Wolfy wrote: "I love metal music, but oddly enough when writing out yuri romance scenes I listen to metal (Rings of Saturn, Infant Annihilator, Inferi, Winter Nightmare), J-Metal (..."

So, true, everyone has their quirks. Sure, that'd be great! Good luck with the editing, as someone who has to do all of it myself due to my millions getting isekaied into another world with cheat codes every time I wake up, it truly feels never-ending!

message 7: by Junkomi (new)

Junkomi Eno | 5 comments So...I would add you but it seems I cannot ^-^; haha. (really didn't want to post an off-topic comment >.<)

message 8: by Shintaro (new)

Shintaro Mofujin (shinmofu) | 22 comments Wolfy wrote: "So...I would add you but it seems I cannot ^-^; haha. (really didn't want to post an off-topic comment >.<)"

Ah, my bad! I actually filled in that question thingy thinking it was a password security question and I don't know how to turn it off lol! My apologies to the group at large for moving the discussion off-topic, but does anyone know how to take the question out?

message 9: by Selena (last edited Aug 07, 2018 06:54PM) (new)

Shintaro wrote: "My apologies to the group at large for moving the discussion off-topic, but does anyone know how to take the question out?"

Your thread, your rules. :) Long as they don't break the main rules of the group, you're good.

To get rid of the challenge question's required answer, you go to Account Settings, and under the Settings tab, there's a section for Friend Requests near the bottom. You'll see an option under the Challenge Answer box that says "Don’t require a challenge answer". If you click that and save, you should be good.

You can leave your challenge question if you like (for example, mine's "How do you know me?" and I don't require a specific answer).

message 10: by Junkomi (new)

Junkomi Eno | 5 comments You could just add me haha.

I believe you can remove it from clicking on profile > account settings and it should be somewhere in one of the tabs. No idea which one though.

message 11: by Shintaro (last edited Aug 07, 2018 06:58PM) (new)

Shintaro Mofujin (shinmofu) | 22 comments Wolfy wrote: "You could just add me haha.

I believe you can remove it from clicking on profile > account settings and it should be somewhere in one of the tabs. No idea which one though."

Yup that works too! Sent!

Selena wrote: "Shintaro wrote: "My apologies to the group at large for moving the discussion off-topic, but does anyone know how to take the question out?"

Your thread, your rules. :) Long as they don't break th..."

Thank you, Selena, you're the best! Found it and now it no longer asks "Is the Order a Rabbit?" lol

message 12: by Terrence (new)

Terrence (grnkrby) | 347 comments I listen to a lot of light novels read aloud text to speech. So I don't usually keep any separate tracks on. But I definitely used to. I read Beowulf's paperback with LOTRs soundtrack. I've read Part-Timer while listening to the anime OST. Anything creepy is good with Shiki's OST. One for peaceful background music? Try Yuru Camp's soundtrack.

message 13: by Selena (new)

Terrence wrote: "I read Beowulf's paperback with LOTRs soundtrack."

That sounds like an epic way to read Beowulf. :) May have to try this some day in the future

message 14: by Shintaro (new)

Shintaro Mofujin (shinmofu) | 22 comments Selena's right, that does sound pretty epic! Listening to the anime OST (if it exists) while reading is also interesting, maybe I should try that out sometime.

message 15: by Peter (new)

Peter Buckmaster | 10 comments Hi there. Classical music or some light BGM (Celtic, those Sleep Music vids on YouTube etc.) is the only thing I can listen to while reading. Songs, soundtracks etc. just bring too much imagery and I find myself getting to the bottom of a page and thinking "I have no idea what I just read".
Writing on the other hand is where I need the music. The Witcher soundtrack gets my creative juices flowing, as does Loreena McKennit, Steeleye Span, Julie Fowlis and GoT soundtrack.
I like that Beowulf with LOTR though! Great idea! I guess if I could find the right soundtrack for the book, I could really lose myself in the world.
Kind of a tangent but has anyone ever listened to music and it skewed the book in some way? For example, I was listening to Jihae (sp?), watching a YouTube video, then read Celeste Ng's latest and one of the characters resembled Jihae in my mind, Don't think the character was Asian in ethnicity though.
Anyway, sorry, I'm droning o now. First thing in the morning and I haven't had a coffee shot yet.
Regards, Peter

message 16: by Shintaro (last edited Sep 30, 2018 04:46PM) (new)

Shintaro Mofujin (shinmofu) | 22 comments That sounds relaxing with the classical and BGM stuff, Peter! I agree that lyrical stuff can drown out your immersion and comprehension, so I avoid them too. As for your question, I can't say that I personally have, but I'd love to hear if anyone else has had such an experience.

message 17: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Alexander | 13 comments It depends on my day. some times I'm on my break at work and am listening to music while reading, other times I'm in a room where some one is watching TV and I just don't want to move so I deal with it. Other times, no I'm not listening to anything.