Book Bloggers of Goodreads discussion

All Things Book Blogging > Blog Hosting Preference?

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amber (new)

Amber (rieslingandreviews) | 2 comments Hey, y'all!

I've decided to come back to book blogging after a year-long hiatus; because of the length of time I've been away, I'm at a bit of a crossroads. My old blog is still technically live on Wordpress, but I don't know if it's worth picking that back up or just starting from scratch elsewhere. I'm curious about trying other blogging platforms like Weebly, Blogger, Blogspot, etc. What are folks' experiences with them? Should I switch or just return to my old blog?

Thanks so much!

message 2: by Sophia (new)

Sophia (Bookwyrming Thoughts) (hannahsophialin) | 25 comments It really depends on what you want... I know a lot of people once started on Blogger but eventually moved to Wordpress... including myself.

Blogger/Blogspot is a great starting platform, especially if you're on a budget and can't spend anything at all at the moment but want to freely customize without spending anything. At the most, you might be spending money on the domain, which if you're in the US is $12 a year (no email hosting, but there is a free one called Zoho, which I use and love).

Weebly and Wix some people do start out with but eventually move to Wordpress or Blogger - those I notice tend to be more portfolio or regular website based rather than a blog. I'm currently working on my portfolio on Wix but the mobile site sucks horribly if you let it do it automatically.

Free WordPress I don't know much of simply because I hated it due to the limitations that Blogger doesn't have (mainly the customization). It can also be a bit confusing, but it is a lot more interactive and engaging in my opinion compared to Blogger. Blogger has a shitty commenting system and I never know when someone linked my post. If you don't care about being able to freely customize or plan on eventually moving to self-hosted, I would stay with WordPress.

Self-Hosted I love personally because it's basically Blogger and WordPress combined (the free version) and then some, so if you do have the money for it and intend on blogging for long-term (don't go down this path if you're not sure), then I would highly recommend as you can do everything Free Wordpress never allowed you to do. You also own the content that the free platforms don't exactly let you have the option to with self-hosted - since you're a paying customer, they can't take down your blog posts at any time.

That's just a nutshell, but feel free to message me if you want me to go into full details. ^_^