Horror Aficionados discussion

Buddy Reads > Before You Sleep/Some Will Not Sleep by Adam Nevill

Comments Showing 1-50 of 80 (80 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Ginger (last edited Aug 22, 2018 08:12AM) (new)

Ginger | 3246 comments Lisa and I are going to do a buddy read on some short stories by Adam Nevill at the beginning of September.
We're keeping the Adam Nevill BR train going. :)

Please join us if you want to read either Before You Sleep or Some Will Not Sleep: Selected Horrors!
"Before you Sleep" has three short stories in it and those stories are in "Some Will Not Sleep" so this is up to the reader on what type of commitment you want.

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 460 comments Thanks for setting this up, Ginger! Looking forward to it :)

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 460 comments I just bought these for Kindle. Before You Sleep is free :)

message 4: by Vickie (new)

Vickie (bookfan4ever) | 693 comments I enjoy Adam Nevill and would love to join you. :-) Just wanted to double check though... you guys know that the three stories in Before You Sleep are from his short story collection in Some Will Not Sleep, right? That's the copy I have that's been on my "to read" list, so I'm ready to go. ;-)

message 5: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 3246 comments Vickie wrote: "you guys know that the three stories in Before You Sleep are from his short story collection in Some Will Not Sleep, right?"

So the three stories in Before You Sleep are actually in Some Will Not Sleep: Selected Horrors Vickie? So I can read only that one?
I would love it if you would join!

message 6: by Ginger (last edited Aug 22, 2018 08:13AM) (new)

Ginger | 3246 comments Just did some research. You are correct Vickie!

So if you only want to read Before You Sleep by Adam Nevill or Some Will Not Sleep Selected Horrors by Adam Nevill , it's totally up to the reader.
I will be doing "Some Will Not Sleep" so that I can get all the stories.

Just make sure to use spoilers when talking about the short story.
Happy reading and let's try to start this on September 1st! :D

message 7: by Vickie (new)

Vickie (bookfan4ever) | 693 comments Sounds good, looking forward to it!

message 8: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 3246 comments Vickie wrote: "Sounds good, looking forward to it!"

Great! Glad to have you join the BR Vickie. :D

message 9: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 1656 comments I've got Before You Wake: Three Horrors! trust me to get the wrong one :P
I think I'll just do Before you sleep.

message 10: by Ginger (last edited Aug 22, 2018 12:26PM) (new)

Ginger | 3246 comments Melanie wrote: "I've got Before You Wake: Three Horrors! trust me to get the wrong one :P
I think I'll just do Before you sleep."

Ha! I got both books last month so no worries there. I'm glad Vickie popped up in this BR and explained on this.

That's fine Melanie. Those three stories in "Before You Sleep" are in the bigger book so we'll still be able to chat about Adam Nevill's crazy mind. The book is free right now through Kindle from what Lisa said.

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 460 comments Yay, looking forward to it!

message 12: by Ginger (last edited Sep 01, 2018 07:49PM) (new)

Ginger | 3246 comments It might be another day or two before I actually start this. I was hoping to start it today but I haven't had any time to finish my current reads or READ!
I had to buy a new car in the last couple of days because my 20 year old truck finally went off into junkyard heaven. haha
Buying a new car is an extremely time consuming and exhausting thing to do! Ugh
But hoping to get down to a couple of books by Monday or Tuesday and then I'll get going on this!
Looking forward to it as well!!

message 13: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 460 comments Sounds good! Car buying is indeed a chore... What'd you buy?

message 14: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 3246 comments Lisa wrote: "Sounds good! Car buying is indeed a chore... What'd you buy?"

I got a 2016 Hyundai Santa Fe. I didn’t want a huge SUV and also didn’t want a sedan since we camp and hike.
It’s so nice driving something new. I don’t know how to act! 🤣

message 15: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 460 comments Congratulations!

message 16: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 3246 comments Lisa wrote: "Congratulations!"

Thank you Lisa!

message 17: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 460 comments I read the first story in Before You Sleep last night. A nice, scary start 😊

message 18: by Ginger (last edited Sep 07, 2018 10:12AM) (new)

Ginger | 3246 comments Lisa wrote: "I read the first story in Before You Sleep last night. A nice, scary start 😊"

Which story? I'm reading Some Will Not Sleep. I believe the three stories in Before You Sleep are in my collection.
I read "Where Angels Come in" the other day. It was so damn creepy!!

message 19: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 460 comments That's the one I read! Yikes.

message 20: by Ginger (last edited Sep 07, 2018 10:41AM) (new)

Ginger | 3246 comments Lisa wrote: "That's the one I read! Yikes."

I agree! (view spoiler) That's some scary shit! :D

message 21: by Ginger (last edited Sep 11, 2018 12:36PM) (new)

Ginger | 3246 comments Just finished up Mother's Milk!
I'm not sure if you have this story in your book but this was so fucked up. And weird. And disgusting. And strange.
And I don't know if I want to drink milk again. LMAO

WTF? hahaha

message 22: by Lisa (last edited Sep 11, 2018 12:29PM) (new)

Lisa | 460 comments I finished Ancestors and have started Florrie. Mother's Milk is in Some Will Not Sleep - I can only imagine what that entails. It looks like all 3 of the stories in Before You Sleep are actually in SWNS...good thing BYS was free ;) And hells yes to the people in the mansion in "Angels" being so scary...yow.

message 23: by Ginger (last edited Sep 11, 2018 12:35PM) (new)

Ginger | 3246 comments Lisa wrote: "I finished Ancestors and have started Florrie. Mother's Milk is in Some Will Not Sleep - I can only imagine what that entails. It looks like all 3 of the stories in Before You Sleep are actually in..."

I have Ancestors and Florrie but later in the book.
I'll have to get to those eventually and see what you think about them.

I'm digging his short stories though!

message 24: by Vickie (new)

Vickie (bookfan4ever) | 693 comments Ginger wrote: "Just finished up Mother's Milk!
I'm not sure if you have this story in your book but this was so fucked up. And weird. And disgusting. And strange.
And I don't know if I want to drink milk again. L..."

Finally had a chance to read Where Angels Come In, and yes, good and creepy. Loved it! And Ginger you made me laugh out loud about Mother's Milk, so I'm going to have to skip ahead and read that one now, lol. :-)

message 25: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 3246 comments Vickie wrote: "Finally had a chance to read Where Angels Come In, and yes, good and creepy. Loved it! And Ginger you made me laugh out loud about Mother's Milk, so I'm going to have to skip ahead and read that one now, lol. :-) "

I'm on to "Yellow Teeth" now after "Mother's Milk" and I swear Nevill writes to make you feel uncomfortable, spooked and uneasy. LOL
He's the master at it. :D

message 26: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 460 comments Just finished Mother's Milk. Good grief! What in the world was going on there? Some sort of metaphor for addiction? Gross! Lol.

message 27: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 3246 comments Lisa wrote: "Just finished Mother's Milk. Good grief! What in the world was going on there? Some sort of metaphor for addiction? Gross! Lol."

That's a good guess!! Did you end up getting the long book with all the short stories?

message 28: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 3246 comments I just finished up Yellow Teeth and I got so disgusted and repulsed by Ewan. Where does Nevill come up with these ideas?!
His writing is so descriptive that I literally could smell the piss and unclean, unwashed body. UGH!!!
Ha! Bravo Adam Nevill!

message 29: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 460 comments I did get Some Will Not Sleep, which contains the three stories that are in Before You Sleep. I'm glad I didn't have to pay for it 😏

message 30: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 3246 comments Lisa wrote: "I did get Some Will Not Sleep, which contains the three stories that are in Before You Sleep. I'm glad I didn't have to pay for it 😏"

That's great!! I'm glad you're reading the rest with me.

message 31: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 460 comments Me too! Going to start Yellow Teeth now...

message 32: by Vickie (new)

Vickie (bookfan4ever) | 693 comments UGH, Mother's Milk! Just... EWWW! No, no, no...blech!

message 33: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 3246 comments Vickie wrote: "UGH, Mother's Milk! Just... EWWW! No, no, no...blech!"

EXACTLY! hahaha!!

message 34: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 460 comments Yes, just so, so gross. And Yellow Teeth! (view spoiler) Nevill's works, both books and short stories, always evoke in me an urgent desire to escape something. Flee a village, get out of a house, get out of the woods. In this case it was escaping one's own home, or maybe a person.

message 35: by Ginger (last edited Sep 14, 2018 08:23AM) (new)

Ginger | 3246 comments Lisa wrote: "Yes, just so, so gross. And Yellow Teeth! [spoilers removed] Nevill's works, both books and short stories, always evoke in me an urgent desire to escape something. Flee a village, get out of a hous..."

YOU AND ME BOTH! I was so mad at the main character. (view spoiler)

I totally agree Lisa. Nevill has a way of bringing out my worse fears and in this case it was (view spoiler) LMAO

message 36: by Vickie (new)

Vickie (bookfan4ever) | 693 comments Totally agree Lisa and Ginger. I keep shivering from disgust every time I think about it! I thought Mother's Milk was gross, but Yellow Teeth, UGH, I want to vomit, lol!

message 37: by Ginger (last edited Sep 14, 2018 10:16AM) (new)

Ginger | 3246 comments Vickie wrote: "Totally agree Lisa and Ginger. I keep shivering from disgust every time I think about it! I thought Mother's Milk was gross, but Yellow Teeth, UGH, I want to vomit, lol!"

If you vomit Vickie, you wouldn't even know that you did if you're living in that flat. hahaha!!

message 38: by Vickie (new)

Vickie (bookfan4ever) | 693 comments Ginger wrote: "Vickie wrote: "Totally agree Lisa and Ginger. I keep shivering from disgust every time I think about it! I thought Mother's Milk was gross, but Yellow Teeth, UGH, I want to vomit, lol!"

If you vom..."

TOUCHE! :-P

message 39: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 460 comments Lol!

message 40: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 460 comments The Pig Thing...good grief.

message 41: by Vickie (new)

Vickie (bookfan4ever) | 693 comments Umm...yeah, The Pig Thing, a little weird.

message 42: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 3246 comments Yeah, I just read it. WTF? 🤣🤷‍♀️

message 43: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 460 comments I couldn't really get into What God Hath Wrought, and just skimmed it. If either of you really love it, I'll go back and try again. Starting Doll Hands tonight...

message 44: by Ginger (last edited Sep 17, 2018 12:22PM) (new)

Ginger | 3246 comments Lisa wrote: "I couldn't really get into What God Hath Wrought, and just skimmed it. If either of you really love it, I'll go back and try again. Starting Doll Hands tonight..."

I decided to start it at lunch. I'm liking it so far but I like anything dealing with the Wild West and the gold rush. I do hope it gets to the point though and the bullshitting between the two men wraps up. ha!

My theory is Brother Lehi (view spoiler)
The soldier keeps mentioning "fair-skinned" so it's just a guess.

message 45: by Vickie (new)

Vickie (bookfan4ever) | 693 comments Yeah, that one didn't do much for me either. It was too depressing, lol. And I agree Ginger, I'm thinking some sort of vampire too. I hope these stories get better!

message 46: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 460 comments Aha, I'll bet you are right. I'll try it again.

message 47: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 3246 comments What God Hath Wrought
Meh...moving on! 🤣 I don’t think you’re missing much Lisa.

message 48: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 3246 comments Just finished up Doll Hands. Some of these stories are strange as hell. What is going on in Nevill’s brain?! 🤣😂

message 49: by Vickie (new)

Vickie (bookfan4ever) | 693 comments Just finished that one too and my thoughts exactly! Instead of being scary, they are just freakishly weird and sometimes very gross. ;-) I can't wrap my head around what kind of brain thinks these things up, lol. Have to give it to Nevill, he certainly is creative. :-)

message 50: by Ginger (last edited Sep 18, 2018 10:49AM) (new)

Ginger | 3246 comments Vickie wrote: "Just finished that one too and my thoughts exactly! Instead of being scary, they are just freakishly weird and sometimes very gross. ;-) I can't wrap my head around what kind of brain thinks these ..."

Yes, I felt the same Vickie! Weird and grossed out.
(view spoiler). Did you get that? Or maybe he just made people have “animal” like qualities.
He definitely has a creative mind! I’ll give him that. 😂👍

« previous 1