Play Book Tag discussion

Deep Shadow (Caribbean Dive Adventures #1)
This topic is about Deep Shadow
Archive: Other Books > Deep Shadow by Nick Sullivan--3 stars + lots of nostalgia

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments Deep Shadow by Nick Sullivan
3 stars

This was a wildly entertaining book in one of my favorite genres that I have not visited in way too long: trashy underwater fiction. The requirement for this very specific genre, you may ask? Well, it is typically some kind of thriller, set in the Caribbean or other tropical locale, and involves scuba diving or in-the-water investigations. Bonus if it is one of those that is only published in inexpensive paperback form.

Boone is a divemaster at a shop on Bonaire, just off the coast from the drug cartel-dominated Venezuela. While out on a dive, he and his colleague/dive buddy Emily see a sub. But, not just any sub. It seems to be slapped together from mismatched parts. Perhaps a drug sub? Perhaps. But there is more to it than meets the eye.

Look, this was not brilliant literature. It is not intended to be. But, what it is is pure fun. You have to completely suspend disbelieve and assume that two 20-something divers would fling themselves into a multijurisdictional fray peppered with violent cartels and terrorists. You have to just roll with the crazy coincidences that allow for the random crossing of paths in an ocean. You have the forgive the thriller author for a pretty cheesy attempt at romance.

And perhaps I connect with these books more than the average reader. I used to live in the Bahamas, working at a tourist resort and spending my days diving and living in a small, remote community much like the one described on Bonaire. The author describes diving and I have gone through each and every one of those steps. The authors names fish and marine life and I vividly picture them because I have seen them in real life. The nostalgia factor in these books is high for me. And I love it.

I read the whole things in a single sitting and enjoyed every page. It hit the summertime reading spot and will have me reaching for more of Sullivan's Caribbean Dive Adventures in the future.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments *Note: This could very very loosely be considered espionage, and it does involve some US military surveillance, but I personally did not think it was nearly enough to tag it as such.

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8878 comments Fabulous review, but as importantly I really enjoy hearing about your life experiences and to get to know more about you Nicole.

message 4: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2505 comments This sounds such fun! I’ll definitely try it. I had a phase of underwater archaeological thrillers (‘Atlantis’, and the like) - total disbelief suspense required but thoroughly entertaining. I’ve never been allowed to dive (asthma, grr!) so this is a vicarious way of getting there.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments KateNZ wrote: "This sounds such fun! I’ll definitely try it. I had a phase of underwater archaeological thrillers (‘Atlantis’, and the like) - total disbelief suspense required but thoroughly entertaining. I’ve n..."

Underwater archaeological thrillers are great! I have read some that feature the discovery of sunken treasure and the like. They are just wonderful fun set in beautiful locations!

message 6: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2505 comments Any particular recommendations, Nicole? I’m always out for new authors in that genre

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments Let me take a look at my bookshelf when I get home. I know I have read some entertaining ones but titles escape me....

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments Ugh! I think I lost many of my books in the transfer from GR!

I remember a couple though:
The Ark—not TOTALLY underwater, but a good water theme. I think Boyd Morrison writes EXCELLENT thrillers. They are like modern day Indy Jones.

Jaws—The. Best.

Sphere—less trashy, but so so good.

Deception Point—not your typical Dan Brown. Most of it takes place in the Arctic, but it includes on of my all time favorite shark scenes.

I have read some Clive Cussler, which I like. And, while I don't generally like the whole partner writing thing, his recent books have been co-written by Graham Brown and I really like Brown's stuff.

I know there are others, but those are the ones that come to mind!

There is a new movie coming out this week, Meg, based on the book of the same name and I REALLY want to go see it! Maybe even read the book!

message 9: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2505 comments Neat, thanks. Ark sounds particularly excellent for those ‘meh’ days when I just want a pick-me-up.

I’ve read Jaws. Terrified the living daylights out of me and I have barely swum in the sea since (and I *like* sharks).

I vowed I’d never go near Dan Brown again after Angels and Demons, but I trust you. I think 😉

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments Deception Point is way different! No Robert Langdon, no religious conspiracies, and no general feeling of meh 😉