The BOOK/MOVIE Club discussion

Ice Breakers/Activities > Question 11: How fast do you read?

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rohit (new)

Rohit (rohitraut) | 58 comments I was wondering how fast people read. Since there are a lot of avid readers here who read like 50 books a year! I cant even imagine reading so many years books myself. I feel it would be difficult to even complete my 12 books challenge this year. So my question is, about how many pages do you read an hour or a day? How many books do you read a month?

message 2: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) | 64 comments That is a very difficult question to answer Rohit! If it’s a book I really have to reflect on, like for work, I’ll read about 15/20 pages per hour. If it’s an easy fantasy read (with big letters) I’ll read up to 50/60 pages per hour. So 15-60 pages and everything in between. But I know there are people who read like 100 pages an hour or more....
There are days I don’t read at all (although my goal is to read at least 10 pages per day but when I get home tired after work, I usually don’t even manage to read 1 page...). Other days I’ll read up to 6 hours or more. When I’m doing a readathon I can read up to 12 hours. So 0-12 hours and everything in between.
In June I read 3 books, in April on the other hand I read 9.5 books (thanks in part to the readathon I participated in).

message 3: by Rohit (last edited Aug 06, 2018 09:01AM) (new)

Rohit (rohitraut) | 58 comments Susy wrote: "That is a very difficult question to answer Rohit! If it’s a book I really have to reflect on, like for work, I’ll read about 15/20 pages per hour. If it’s an easy fantasy read (with big letters) I..."

Thanx for the reply Susy. Ya i was talking about novels or non-fiction books which are unrelated to work/study. Wow, 50-60 pages per hour sound great. Currently my speed is 50-60 pages in 2 hours. I read every night from 11pm - 1am and I read total 50-60 pages. It takes me around 10 days to complete a 500 page book. Even I have days when I don't read at all because I have to get up early next day.

On weekends when I have holiday I utilize my time watching movies/series and playing games....on those days I just cannot bring myself to sacrifice my gaming/movie time to read a book lol.

message 4: by Rabia (new)

Rabia Khan | 4 comments For me it depends on how gripping the book is and how into it I am. So for example the last book I read was around 350 pages and I read it in 4 hours, so around 85ish pages an hour.. but that was because I found it impossible to put the book down and wanted to find out what happens. But with more difficult to understand books, where I may need a dictionary with me to look words up or if it’s a book that I’ve been recommended but I’ve put off for a while, I only really managed 10-15 pages an hour! It’s an interesting question though that I have wondered about before.

message 5: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) | 64 comments Rohit wrote: "Susy wrote: "That is a very difficult question to answer Rohit! If it’s a book I really have to reflect on, like for work, I’ll read about 15/20 pages per hour. If it’s an easy fantasy read (with b..."

Don’t get me wrong, 50-60 an hour is my absolute MAX! More often it will be 30-40 I think.
Reading at 11pm! I’d fall right asleep, especially after a day’s work lol
I try and take the Friday off as often as I can to watch movies (check out my member corner: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...), tv shows I watch before and after work 1 episode. When I go to the movies I have my iPhone with me so I can read in between movies. I try and reserve 1 day (usually Sunday) to read. But then, I don’t really game so I think that’s the extra time that I read.

message 6: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) | 64 comments Rabia wrote: "For me it depends on how gripping the book is and how into it I am. So for example the last book I read was around 350 pages and I read it in 4 hours, so around 85ish pages an hour.. but that was b..."

Wow, 85 pages an hour, that’s amazing. It doesn’t matter how gripping the book is, my eyes/brains just don’t go that fast hahaha

message 7: by Rohit (new)

Rohit (rohitraut) | 58 comments Susy wrote: "Rohit wrote: "Susy wrote: "That is a very difficult question to answer Rohit! If it’s a book I really have to reflect on, like for work, I’ll read about 15/20 pages per hour. If it’s an easy fantas..."

Oh ok. 30-40 seems good. I only get time to read at 11 PM when nobody disturbs me as everyone else is in their bedrooms. I sit alone on sofa in the living room and read peacefully. 1 am is a lil bit late to sleep but now I am used to it.

So if you take friday off, then you get total fri-sat-sun holiday? I cant do anything (movies, books etc.) in the morning before my office as my mind wont enjoy it because of upcoming office stress. Lol you really read in between while watching a movie? Do you guys also have interval between a movie like here in India?

message 8: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) | 64 comments Rohit wrote: "Oh ok. 30-40 seems good. I only get time to read at 11 PM when nobody disturbs me as everyone else is in their bedrooms. I sit alone on sofa in the living room and read peacefully. 1 am is a lil bit late to sleep but now I am used to it."

It would wear me down eventually. I get up at 6 am the latest, more often 5 am and sometimes even 4 am, depending on how busy it is at work, so that would mean I would get 3-5 hours sleep at night...

"So if you take friday off, then you get total fri-sat-sun holiday? I cant do anything (movies, books etc.) in the morning before my office as my mind wont enjoy it because of upcoming office stress. Lol you really read in between while watching a movie? Do you guys also have interval between a movie like here in India?"

Yes, I usually make long days monday-thursday and then have friday-sunday off. Usually friday is my movie day. I have an unlimited pass and watch about 4 movies a day. There's no interval but I usually have some time before the next movie starts and will read then.
I feel I start my working day way more relaxed now that I get up early and have time to watch a series and take time to have breakfast calmly in stead of hurrying off to work.

message 9: by Rohit (new)

Rohit (rohitraut) | 58 comments Rabia wrote: "For me it depends on how gripping the book is and how into it I am. So for example the last book I read was around 350 pages and I read it in 4 hours, so around 85ish pages an hour.. but that was b..."

350 pages and I read it in 4 hours :O WOW! thats really fast. Excitement can make us read faster when we truly want to know what happens next. And as Susy said "It doesn’t matter how gripping the book is, my eyes/brains just don’t go that fast". It takes time to visualize things in your mind especially when reading historical books.

message 10: by Rohit (last edited Aug 06, 2018 11:40PM) (new)

Rohit (rohitraut) | 58 comments Susy wrote: "It would wear me down eventually. I get up at 6 am the latest, more often 5 am and sometimes even 4 am, depending on how busy it is at work, so that would mean I would get 3-5 hours sleep at night..."

My god! you wake up very early. 4am is like my midnight. The last time i woke up at 6am was 10 years back when i was in school :P Nowadays i wake up at around 8:30 am because I work from home and so don't have to travel.

"Yes, I usually make long days monday-thursday and then have friday-sunday off. Usually friday is my movie day. I have an unlimited pass and watch about 4 movies a day. There's no interval but I usually have some time before the next movie starts and will read then.
I feel I start my working day way more relaxed now that I get up early and have time to watch a series and take time to have breakfast calmly in stead of hurrying off to work.",

Its good if you can read and concentrate between films. So your weekend time is mainly divided into series, movies and books. Mine is divided into 4 which consists of gaming as well :D This is why 'reading' becomes sidelined and gets pushed to the late night time slot :p

message 11: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) | 64 comments Rohit wrote: "My god! you wake up very early. 4am is like my midnight. The last time i woke up at 6am was 10 years back when i was in school :P Nowadays i wake up at around 8:30 am because I work from home and so don't have to travel. "

Ah ok, then I understand you can read until 1 am :)
Well, I don't want to make it a habit waking up at 4 am, but before my vacation it was extremely busy so.... 6 am is regular though.

Rohit wrote: "Its good if you can read and concentrate between films. So your weekend time is mainly divided into series, movies and books. Mine is divided into 4 which consists of gaming as well :D This is why 'reading' becomes sidelined and gets pushed to the late night time slot :p "

Series, movies, books, house hold chores, visiting my parents and meeting up with friends and I really want to get back to going to the gym as well....
Yes, gaming can take up quite some time lol

message 12: by Rohit (last edited Aug 07, 2018 04:40AM) (new)

Rohit (rohitraut) | 58 comments Susy wrote: "Rohit wrote: "My god! you wake up very early. 4am is like my midnight. The last time i woke up at 6am was 10 years back when i was in school :P Nowadays i wake up at around 8:30 am because I work f..."

6 am is actually the perfect time to get up. 7 am is normal too. Anything after 8 am is late. Even I try to get up early but.... i lose my battle against sleep :/

Oh great, so you not a total introvert :D Gaming takes time and its also very interesting. No offence, but gaming is more interesting than watching a movie as you can interact with the characters, make your own decisions and control the story :)

message 13: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) | 64 comments But that’s just it, I love watching movies and series cause I don’t have to be active myself. That’s why I can watch a series when I get home tired after work but read not so much. And also gaming can become very addictive, I see myself not getting any sleep (or losing all my friends) wanting to game all the time lol

message 14: by Rohit (last edited Aug 07, 2018 10:40PM) (new)

Rohit (rohitraut) | 58 comments Ya movies and series have their own fun. You just have to sit, relax and watch.

And also gaming can become very addictive, I see myself not getting any sleep (or losing all my friends) wanting to game all the time lol

That sounds like me from 6 years back when I was in college :D I would play games 6-8 hours a day and would come out of my room only for meals. Yea it can be addictive, but so can series be too. I know people who have binge-watched a whole season in a day or two.

message 15: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) | 64 comments Rohit wrote: "That sounds like me from 6 years back when I was in college :D I would play games 6-8 hours a day and would come out of my room only for meals.”

That’s me and books when I was young. I completely “disappeared” into the story. My mother would call and call and I wouldn’t hear her. She used to think I did that on purpose but I actually just didn’t hear her!

“Yea it can be addictive, but so can series be too. I know people who have binge-watched a whole season in a day or two."

You’ve got me there!

message 16: by Erin (new)

Erin It depends on my mood. Sometimes I can finish a book in 4 hours and sometimes it takes months to read a book.

This year I read 135 books.

message 17: by Chris (new)

Chris S | 46 comments Wow, Erin! That's amazing! I thought 27 was pretty good til I read your post.

message 18: by Erin (new)

Erin 27 is great Chris! As long as you're reading.