Play Book Tag discussion

Warlight
This topic is about Warlight
August 2018: Espionage > Warlight - Michael Ondaatje - 4 stars - Decathalon and Listopia

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susie | 4488 comments I am ashamed to admit that I had not, until Warlight, read any Michael Ondaatje. This is something that I must remedy, as I thoroughly enjoyed this novel. I listened to the audio which in my opinion was very well done, although some of the Audible reviews suggest otherwise. The writing the writing! I could listen to his writing for days. Vivid and wonderfully atmospheric, I felt as though I was being transported to the pages of the book. I found the subtle mystery as told through the memory of Nathaniel quite mesmerising, particularly in the first half. I didn't feel as though the second half was as strong, although still thoroughly entertaining. I feel as though this one is going to make the shortlist, and believe it could be a contender, despite the fact that it didn't quite make it to a five for me.

Interestingly, in my Facebook memories today I spied a post whereby I had asked my friends what their favourite book ever was, and a conversation ensued that centred on the fact that Michael Ondaatje was definitely NOT the favourite for two of my friends who had studied The English Patient in secondary school. It led me to thinking about how reading tastes mature over our lives. If I had read Warlight as a 16-17 year old I suspect that it would have bored me to tears, and yet the older I am the more I appreciated nuanced writing that doesn't belt me over the head. In the post on Facebook I had listed several of my favourite books at the time, and they are not books that I would choose if I was asked the same question right now.

Anyway, I digress. Warlight. Loved it. I'll definitely be seeking our more Ondaatje, and believe the Golden Man Booker needs to be near the top of my TBR.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments I have the audio of this one downloaded and ready to go at some point. It seems like a fall book to me....

I also have not read anything by Ondaatje, so we have that in common!

KateNZ | 2503 comments Half way through and loving it!

Susie | 4488 comments I hope you like the audio Nicole. Kate, I thought it might be your kind of book based on your previous experience with Ondaatje. I’m glad I was right!

Nicole D. | 1490 comments I thought the audio was perfectly suited to the writing and story.

Susie | 4488 comments Same here Nicole. A perfect match.

message 7: by Sara (last edited Aug 16, 2018 07:43PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sara (mootastic1) | 770 comments I hadnt read Ondaatje before either. Definitely going to read some more. Maybe we can do The English Patient as a buddy read later in the year.

Susie | 4488 comments I’d love to Sara.