Space Opera Fans discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book and Author of the Month > Oct 2018 INDIE Nominations

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (last edited Aug 22, 2018 10:13AM) (new)

Teresa Carrigan | 2462 comments Mod
This thread is for nominations for INDIE category for October 2018.

INDIE books are newer, edgier books where the author has to do it all. Books that have been published by a micropress that helps you upload the thing, but YOU otherwise do the work and marketing are okay, or if you got your backlist back, still qualify. They need to be currently in print on more than a single platform. That is, not exclusively on Amazon, but it's ok if they are only available as ebooks. They must be Space Opera, which means a spaceship has to be involved in the story somewhere. If it is part of a series, it needs to be suitable to being read without having read other books in the series.

RULES:
* you may nominate one book on this thread.
* you may second as many nominations as you like on this thread.
* it is okay to nominate the same book on more than one nomination thread, as long as it meets the criteria
* don't nominate a book we already have on our bookshelf
* If a book you nominate or second is selected, you are expected to post at least one comment about it on the thread about the book.
* In about two weeks I will draw a book randomly, with each second being one raffle ticket for the book. That is, a book with three seconds (so four of us want it) will get three chances in the pool.

It is likely helpful if you know something about a book that has been nominated if you mention it in this thread, whether it is for or against the book.

Recent nominations that were seconded, so it would be good to nominate again:
Temporary Duty by Ric Locke
The Marann by Christie Meierz
A.I. Insurrection by Michael Poeltl
Aye, Robot by Robert Kroese

message 5: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Summary so far:
Aye, Robot (pre-release) by Robert Kroese Aye, Robot by Robert Kroese. Nominated by Mary. Awaiting seconds.

Ancient Treasure (Lost Sols #1) by James Kirk Bisceglia Ancient Treasure by James Kirk Bisceglia . Nominated by James. Awaiting seconds.

A.I. Insurrection by Michael Poeltl A.I. Insurrection Michael Poeltl . Nominated by Michael. Awaiting seconds.

Nominations will close on or about the 22nd. If no book gets a second, this category will have no pick next month.

message 6: by L.E. (new)

L.E. Doggett (ldwriter2) | 60 comments Rats, my two space opera still ned revising, maybe next year.

message 7: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Nominations will close in three days. If none of the books gets a second, then we won’t have an Indie pick for September. I may just leave the thread open for October nominations though.

message 8: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Since none of the nominations were seconded, we will not have an Indie pick for September. This thread is being kept for October. If you made a nomination and want to change to a different book just say so. The existing nominations will be kept otherwise.

message 9: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Bumping to put it above the locked threads

message 10: by Troy (new)

Troy D. Wymer | 28 comments I nominate Lightyears Trilogy, by Troy D. Wymer

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

message 11: by Chong (new)

Chong Go | 22 comments I nominate The North Star: Galactic Sentinel Book One. Lots of action, good writing, and a solid mystery.

Space Deputy by Jenny Schwartz is also a great great read. Much more laid back, but again good story telling, a couple of mysteries, a romantic thread, and AIs.

message 12: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Chong wrote: "I nominate The North Star: Galactic Sentinel Book One. Lots of action, good writing, and a solid mystery.

Space Deputy by Jenny Schwartz is also a great great read...."

Those two books appear to only be available on Kindle. No paperback, no Nook, etc. This category requires multiple platforms, so we can’t use either of these. If they ever fit the THEMED topic, they can be nominated for that category.

message 13: by Chong (new)

Chong Go | 22 comments Whoops, sorry. I'd thought ebook only was okay for the Indie category.

message 14: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (last edited Sep 12, 2018 03:28AM) (new)

Ebook only is fine, but ebook sold only on Amazon isn’t. Some of our members use Nook, some use Kobo, etc.

From top post:
They need to be currently in print on more than a single platform. That is, not exclusively on Amazon, but it's ok if they are only available as ebooks.

message 15: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Summary so far:
Aye, Robot (pre-release) by Robert Kroese Aye, Robot by Robert Kroese. Nominated by Mary. Awaiting seconds.

Ancient Treasure (Lost Sols #1) by James Kirk Bisceglia Ancient Treasure by James Kirk Bisceglia . Nominated by James. Awaiting seconds.

A.I. Insurrection by Michael Poeltl A.I. Insurrection Michael Poeltl . Nominated by Michael. Awaiting seconds.

Lightyears Trilogy by Troy D. Wymer Lightyears Trilogy by Troy D. Wymer. Nominated by Troy. Awaiting seconds.

Nominations will close on or about the 22nd. If no book is seconded, we won’t have an Indie pick for October.

message 16: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Three days until nominations close. We still have no seconds. Please check the nominations and see if there is one that you are willing to discuss if it is chosen.

message 17: by Rick (new)

Rick Allen | 15 comments Aye, Robot seems like a good pick. Reviews look good, and a little comedy would be nice. One of the reviewers compared it to Hitchhiker's Guide.

I'm not real active here, but would my vote count as a second?

message 18: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Seconding means you promise to comment about the book in the discussion thread if that book is the one chosen. Anybody can second a book.

message 19: by Rick (new)

Rick Allen | 15 comments I second it, then. And will be sure to comment.

Thanks!

message 20: by Brendan (new)

Brendan | 1 comments I second Lightyears Trilogy

message 21: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Thanks to both of you for the seconds!

message 22: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

I count one second each for Aye Robot and Lightyears Trilogy. Rolling random numbers now.

message 23: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Our Indie pick for October is Aye, Robot (pre-release) by Robert Kroese Aye, Robot by Robert Kroese

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.