Caldecott Books discussion

How many Caldecott's in total?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany (caligirl9905) | 5 comments Does anyone know how many Caldecott's (Honors and Medals) there are in total?

message 2: by Robert (new)

Robert Davis (robert_davis) | 9 comments 81 winners and as for Honor books, well, too many to count. Approximately 400

message 3: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany (caligirl9905) | 5 comments Yeah, I started to count and kept losing track.. lol I am trying to gt through the whole list.. Any ideas of where to find the out of print books without spending too much $$$??

message 4: by Ed (new)

Ed (yedotter) | 1 comments According to my spreadsheet that I use to keep track of reading them all, there are 342 total winners and honor books, which would mean 261 honor books. I was lucky enough to collect all of them in hardback, but it took close to five years, and meant a lot of digging through used book stores and shopping on eBay. Some of them can get pretty expensive, but be patient. Some of the rare out of print ones eventually showed up on eBay with low prices, or I stumbled across them in a used book store for cheap. I don't think I ever had to pay more than $10 for any of them, but it took a lot of work to find them.

message 5: by Linds (new)

Linds I finished reading every Caldecott winner and honor this year (finally!). Currently, there are 81 winners and 261 honors -making 342 in total. I was able to find all the books without shelling out any money. Most I got through my library or openlibrary.org, but for perhaps ten of the earlier ones I went through interlibrary loan. The loans showed up pretty quickly, so I assume there's a decent amount in circulation.

message 6: by Robert (new)

Robert Davis (robert_davis) | 9 comments Yes, I am close to having read all of the Caldecotts, aside from ones unavailable from my library. Linda makes a good point about inter-library loans. I have had books from all across the country made available to me, but I do it rarely because there is a cost factor involved. The library will do it for free and pick up the shipping costs.