2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

The Once and Future King (The Once and Future King, #1-4)
This topic is about The Once and Future King
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2018 > The Once and Future King

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary Pat (last edited Aug 11, 2018 05:22AM) (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments This thread is to discuss T.H. White‘s book, The Once and Future King.

***Please remember to mark spoilers.***

Participants: Kimberly, Rachel, Newly

message 2: by Mary Pat (last edited Aug 11, 2018 05:26AM) (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Suggested break down of reading so that you can check in and let us know how you're doing. The following breakdown is purely a suggestion and is therefore not set in stone.

Rather than putting dates for each section I've done it so that it takes into account that not everybody will necessarily have the book at the same time.

Week 1: 80
Week 2: 80
Week 3: 80
Week 4: 80
Week 5: 80
Week 6: 80
Week 7: 80
Week 8: 80

Kimberly Wendt | 117 comments Can we extend this buddy read to 2 months instead?

message 4: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Kimberly wrote: "Can we extend this buddy read to 2 months instead?"

Sure! Is Rachel on board with extending it?

message 5: by Rachael (last edited Aug 07, 2018 09:14AM) (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3017 comments Mary Pat wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "Can we extend this buddy read to 2 months instead?"

Sure! Is Rachel on board with extending it?"

Yes, that will be fine.
EDIT: going to read a couple of other books first to finish a challenge and then I'll start this, maybe in a week or so.

Newly Wardell | 46 comments oh my gosh yes! I'm on page 200 and I just haven't picked it back up. I really want to be done by Aug 31 but I'll totally participate in the discussion even after I'm done. if that's okay.

Kimberly Wendt | 117 comments I’m about 100 pages in so far and it’s slow-going for me. I just can’t really get into it...

message 8: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments I have made this a two month read on the schedule!

message 9: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3017 comments I've just started this. I am normally a fast reader but I'll try to slow down so that we can be at similar points at about the same time.

Kimberly Wendt | 117 comments I’m halfway through Book 2 currently (about page 270ish). It seems to be picking up a bit for me now thankfully. Book 1 was pretty slow and boring to me.

message 11: by Marie (new)

Marie Williamson (mariewilliamson240goodreadcom) | 17 comments sounds like a great idea

message 12: by Rachael (last edited Aug 20, 2018 10:21AM) (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3017 comments I've just noticed that my copy has five parts finishing with the Book of Merlyn: The Once and Future King.
I'm only on chapter 3 of the first part at the moment and it is very slow with lots of detail that doesn't seem to have much plot. I hope it improves

Kimberly Wendt | 117 comments Interesting...mine only has 4 parts.

message 14: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Greetings, All! I know it is a little early but I have moved this thread to September as it is a two month read!

message 15: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3017 comments I've just finished The Sword in the Stone. It was very slow and seemed to take ages to get to the actual story. I quite enjoyed reading the last few chapters but it ended so quickly and I was left wanting more.

message 16: by Kimberly (last edited Aug 29, 2018 01:45PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kimberly Wendt | 117 comments I felt similarly, Rachael. I’m now in the middle of Book 3, The Ill-Made Knight, which is interesting so far but there’s also some craziness going on. I felt like Book 2 could have used a lot more fleshing out about Morgause.

message 17: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3017 comments I've finished Book 2 now. It was marginally better than the first but I agree that it needed a bit more detail.

Kimberly Wendt | 117 comments Newly wrote: "oh my gosh yes! I'm on page 200 and I just haven't picked it back up. I really want to be done by Aug 31 but I'll totally participate in the discussion even after I'm done. if that's okay."

Are you still hanging with us, Newly? What are your impressions so far?

message 19: by Rachael (last edited Sep 01, 2018 08:11AM) (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3017 comments Just completed book 3: the Ill-Made Knight. It was quite interesting, probably my favourite so far but there are issues with it such as long-winded descriptions and some strange things going on.

message 20: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3017 comments Just finished Book 4. It was a little bit dark and intriguing. T H White still likes long winded descriptions though.
About to start the final part in my copy, The Book of Merlyn. There's a publisher's note that the author revised The Sword in the Stone for The Once and Future King and that's mostly what this book 5 is. I'm still going to read it because there might be some differences

Kimberly Wendt | 117 comments I’m still slogging through Book 3... Not sure why people enjoy this book so much.

message 22: by Rachael (last edited Sep 05, 2018 10:45AM) (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3017 comments I don't know why people are so positive about it either. I think it's overrated.
I've finished now. And trust me when I say the Book of Merlyn was unnecessary - hardly any plot, boring and repetitive.
I'm glad I read this but it could have been so much better so 3 stars is all I'm giving as my overall rating. The Ill Made Knight was probably the best while the Book of Merlyn was the worst.

PS. I'm still happy to carry on discussing with you even if I have moved on to other books :)

Kimberly Wendt | 117 comments Well I'm glad my book doesn't include The Book of Merlyn then haha! Thanks for discussing with me! I'm hoping to finish The Ill Made Knight within a couple days...

Kimberly Wendt | 117 comments Finally finished! Definitely not one of my favorite books I’ve read this year. Parts 2 and 3 were the most enjoyable for me. It’ll probably be awhile before I decide to pick up another Arthur and Merlin book.

message 25: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3017 comments Yay, it's over! I may not have finished if we hadn't done a buddy read and discussed it. Thanks, Kimberly!
Newly, how are you getting on?

Newly Wardell | 46 comments I finally finished it a couple weeks ago. I just didn't really like it. the magic leaves early and it just turns sulky. this was such a hard book to finish.

message 27: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3017 comments It's disappointing that we all didn't really like it. Maybe we should have watched the Disney cartoon instead...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.