Editors and Writers discussion

Looking for an inexpensive editor for children's/kid lit books

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 6 comments I am looking for an editor, hopefully a long- term editor for several children’s books. We are a small family of children’s book writers and have many books in progress. We had an editor, who is no longer editing, that we knew for many years and had a great relationship with. She loved reading children’s books and charged $10- 20 flat fee per edit of manuscripts and they were anywhere from 100 – 5000 words. She was very careful with her edits and detailed. Her edits included grammar, sentence flow changes, and useful tips and suggestions. She is a children’s schoolteacher, so helpful comments came very natural to her. We are hoping to find another editor with a similar passion and price range.

We have a lot of light work coming up in the near future, for example web page and Kickstarter editing and many short stories as they come. We work spontaneously, so sometimes there is a whole lot of work and other times not much. We would love to have a relationship with an editor that could look over many different things over time.

We are hoping to find someone who enjoys reading rhymes as well, because some of the children’s books are written in rhyme, and also someone who genuinely likes editing children’s books; perhaps someone with free time or retired, who would be doing it more out of love / fun or starting in the editing business rather then for a living. We can’t afford much at this point but we don’t want the cost to jeopardize the quality. Also, we do plan on publishing and we would gladly put your name in the thank you credits.

Right now, we have a dedication page and a book jacket bio that are roughly 200 words, ready to be edited. After this, we have a children’s book that is 5,600 words and written in rhyme. Both have already been edited before, but we have made some changes and want to have them looked over again.

The 200 word bio and book jacket, would be the first job and it would give us an idea of the editing style of the person interested.

Please let us know how much you would charge for an approx. 200 word dedication page and book jacket bio.

Thank you kindly!
Rebecca

message 2: by Morgan (last edited Aug 10, 2018 02:10AM) (new)

Morgan Lee Lee | 37 comments Hello Rebecca!

My name is Morgan Lee and I have recently launched my editing business called Literally Unperfect Edits. I will be honest and say that I have not edited a children's book before, however my passion lies in helping to tell amazing stories that readers can connect with in any genre.

Here is the link to my website if you'd like to have a look around: https://morganleej.wordpress.com/edit...

Due to the fact that I haven't done this type of work before, I am very flexible with pricing!

I normally do a sample edit for free so that people can get a sense of how I edit. That being said, I would be willing to edit the 200 word bio and the book jacket for free to see if we'd be a good match.

Please let me know if you are interested or if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Morgan Lee

message 3: by Sue (new)

Sue  Pilski (bubbasbookmama) | 5 comments Hi Rebecca,
In the almost 5 years I've been a freelance editor and proofreader, I've worked with a wide variety of authors and genres. Please take a look at pageperfectediting.blogspot.com. Then after seeing my experience, client reviews and very affordable prices, you can contact via my site.
"You write it, I help perfect it"
References are available upon request.
I look forward to hearing from you!

message 4: by Christie (new)

Christie | 1 comments Hi, Rebecca,

I do not know if you are still looking for a children's book editor or not. If so, I would be more than happy to help. I do not do this for a living; I mostly help edit manuscripts on the side for a small handful of people. I've got a couple great authors I've helped over the past 5 years on their books, whether it's provide feedback on their work, provide character development, improve sentence flow, correct grammar errors, I've done it all. One author, I was his go-to editor and the work I provided helped him receive an award for one of his books.
I have extensive experience in children's literature. My full-time "job" is I'm a stay-at-home Mom and I home school as well. My children love to read, so we are constantly reading everything we can get our hands on. With having two young children, I have a lot of experience in reading rhyme as well. I have no problem with that.
When it comes to editing, I just love helping folks make their works of art shine. With the author who won the award after I edited his piece, he desperately needed someone to come in and be the female voice for his main character's love interest. Since the author was a single guy, I stepped in and gave her a voice, and he absolutely loved it. It brought her to life and made the rest of the work come together.
As far as price, I would probably charge on the lower end of what your previous editor charged (about $12-$15 flat fee per edit of manuscripts).

If you have any questions or requests, please feel free to send me a message.

Thanks,
Christie McBryde