Hype Or Not discussion

August- September Vicious > Part 1 Thoughts

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by bookellenic (new)

bookellenic | 45 comments This was my first V.E. Schwab book and I was very pleasantly surprised! I went into it not knowing much and I liked the dynamic of two powerful arch enemies who used to be friends and are now villains, though in Eli's eyes everybody is a villain but him. I listened to the audiobook and got chills several times, though I'm pretty sure reading the physical book would have made for an interesting experience as well. Do you think the vicious part of them was always there, in them? That's what I was getting from Victor, he put himself in that category and from the way he spoke about the monster within Eli, even even they were pre-meds, it was always there for him too. Who did you like best? I apperciated the complexity of both of them, each for different reasons.

message 2: by bookellenic (new)

bookellenic | 45 comments I also got Ronan Lynch amd Joseph Kavinsky vibes, anyone else? I read The Raven Boys with Hype or Not funnily enough and then immediately started The Dream Thieves, and I just couldn't shake that comparison away.

message 3: by MoniqueReads (new)

MoniqueReads Chambers (moniqueread) @jes what book are you guys reading?

message 4: by Carol (new)

Carol | 4 comments bookellenic wrote: "This was my first V.E. Schwab book and I was very pleasantly surprised! I went into it not knowing much and I liked the dynamic of two powerful arch enemies who used to be friends and are now villa..."

I think there was some evil/viciousness in them even prior to them going into this. Eli wants to tap into power by creating extra ordinary people and Victor goes along. They both think they are right and will not see the other side. They are selfish when it comes to their progress and always feel that they are in the right.
I preferred Victor to Eli but they are definitely not good people.

message 5: by Carol (new)

Carol | 4 comments Jes Reads wrote: "Carol wrote: "bookellenic wrote: "This was my first V.E. Schwab book and I was very pleasantly surprised! I went into it not knowing much and I liked the dynamic of two powerful arch enemies who us..."

I do like that they’re villains but I feel like maybe Victor is just closer to being morally grey. His relationship with Sydney and Mitch shows that he can be a good person and care for others. Eli is too selfish and after his own personal wants to think about how what he’s doing affects others.

message 6: by Xiomara (new)

Xiomara Canizales (xiomaracanizales) I just finished the first part. I honestly didn’t know that much about this story and it has been a pleasant surprise.
V.E Schwab writing is really good, I was hooked from the very first chapter. And I got to say that this is the first book I read from her, I’m obsessed, I want to read all her books.
I will say that some chapters brought a loud anxiety for me to read, it’s a struggle because I want to read this book I’m in one sitting but sometimes that was not possible.
It’s been interesting to see how the relationship of the characters has developed, I’m very intrigued to get Eli’s perspective because right now only Victor had the opportunity to do so.
Overall, I have questions still, I love all the characters, the story is delicious and dark and intriguing and I want more!

message 7: by Carol (new)

Carol | 4 comments Xiomara wrote: "I just finished the first part. I honestly didn’t know that much about this story and it has been a pleasant surprise.
V.E Schwab writing is really good, I was hooked from the very first chapter. A..."

"delicious and dark" ... I like that description!

message 8: by Sammantha♡ (new)

Sammantha♡ (backtobookish) | 19 comments Mod
Carol wrote: "Jes Reads wrote: "Carol wrote: "bookellenic wrote: "This was my first V.E. Schwab book and I was very pleasantly surprised! I went into it not knowing much and I liked the dynamic of two powerful a..."

I completely agree! Eli is definitely a villain, he has this absolutely destructive god complex. I really enjoy Victors character because you can see him struggle with his morality. He wants to just not give a fuck but then you see bits of kindness towards Mitch and, specifically, Sydney. Schwab's inclusion of human nature is fascinating to me!

message 9: by Allyn (new)

Allyn (booksandcatsandnaps) (booksandcatsandnaps) This was such a surprise! I haven’t actually loved any of Schwab’s books before, so I want sure how I would like this one, BUT THIS BOOK! Such complex characters and I had to put this down at times to savor it. Victor Vale is definitely my favorite character, but all of them are so interesting to read about!

message 10: by bookellenic (new)

bookellenic | 45 comments Oh man, I missed a lot of replies! I liked that they were villains because I'd heard about it going into the book, so in a way that's what I was expecting.
I think the reason everyone prefers Victor, myself included, is the fact that he accepts his viciousness. It's not a question of being good or bad, he has done some horrific things as well, but he's not trying to excuse himself. In a way he seems to view his and Eli's viciousness as a part of their character that was always there. Whereas Eli decided to make himself a hero, probably in order to be able to live with himself since, you know, can't be harmed and all that. He's a hypocrite more than anything.

message 11: by bookellenic (new)

bookellenic | 45 comments Oh man, I missed a lot of replies! I liked that they were villains because I'd heard about it going into the book, so in a way that's what I was expecting.
I think the reason everyone prefers Victor, myself included, is the fact that he accepts his viciousness. It's not a question of being good or bad, he has done some horrific things as well, but he's not trying to excuse himself. In a way he seems to view his and Eli's viciousness as a part of their character that was always there. Whereas Eli decided to make himself a hero, probably in order to be able to live with himself since, you know, can't be harmed and all that. He's a hypocrite more than anything.

message 12: by MoniqueReads (new)

MoniqueReads Chambers (moniqueread) I started kings of the wyld and I’m loving it already u guys were right ty