Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Reality Dysfunction (Night's Dawn, #1)
This topic is about The Reality Dysfunction
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > The Reality Dysfunction [Jan 7, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3594 comments Mod
Buddy Read starts on 7th January.

message 2: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - added it

Timelord Iain | 17366 comments Mod
Well... this has been on my TBR for a year and a half, so I'll try and make it...

Frank | 707 comments Timelord Iain (Eeyawn) wrote: "Well... this has been on my TBR for a year and a half, so I'll try and make it..."

Really anticipating this one.

message 4: by Soo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 5346 comments I'm armed with my audiobook. =)

message 5: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - added it

Soo wrote: "I'm armed with my audiobook. =)"

Almost time to start... this sure is a big one... 41hr audiobook.. 1236 pages

message 6: by Yanique, Thread Master (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yanique Gillana | 956 comments Mod
Wait! This is a buddy read?! I was planning on reading it next month 😩

message 7: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - added it

Yanique wrote: "Wait! This is a buddy read?! I was planning on reading it next month 😩"

Yup... books are so big, tho, that the BR is bi-monthly... January/March/May

message 8: by Soo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 5346 comments I'm about 30% in and the story isn't all that likeable yet. Interesting but not likeable. I'm probably going to re-listen to the beginning few hours because a lot of character/other stuff happens there that will make more sense now.

Frank | 707 comments Will be starting tomorrow.
This has been on my TBR for so long I am hoping that it will be a great story.
This trilogy put Peter Hamilton on the map, and having read five of his books and liked them all I would hope this lives up to the hype.

@Soo, I hope it gets better for you.

message 10: by Soo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 5346 comments I've been planning to read something by Peter Hamilton for a while and this is my intro to his work.

Lots of interesting parts but none of the characters stand out yet. I believe that has to do with this being the first book and setup phase. I'm in the thick of action right now. This part reads (view spoiler).

message 11: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - added it

Soo wrote: "I've been planning to read something by Peter Hamilton for a while and this is my intro to his work.

Lots of interesting parts but none of the characters stand out yet. I believe that has to do w..."

That's pretty much the internet consensus... you need to wait through the setup for things to get awesome...

message 12: by Soo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 5346 comments Get to 45-50% and loads of action. Fun times! This is like an action packed sci-fi + horror.

message 13: by Angela Jr. (new) - added it

Angela Jr. | 995 comments I think I'm going to join this one :)

message 14: by Soo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 5346 comments WooHoo! More Sf =D

message 15: by Angela Jr. (new) - added it

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Just downloaded this one and finished my current audiobook. I'm all ready to start!

Lundos | 392 comments I really liked this one when I read it back in 1998 or so. Maybe the plot or style have re-used since, but back then it was different in scope and plot. Of course, back then I liked a main character with a impossible sexual appeal and scoundrel attitude. Sort of a mix between James Bond and Han Solo. Now, I'm 'a bit' older and the style have to be a bit more complex and/or subtle.

message 17: by Soo (last edited Jan 08, 2019 01:17PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 5346 comments When are we doing the sequel?

Nearly done with audio round 1. Planning to skim-read book and make notes sometime this week.

The terrible transitions do not detract enough from the plot. John Lee has done a great job narrating the book. Two thumbs up!

I find the story itself to be fairly simple. It's the multi-range of places and people that make it complicated.

Attitudes are mostly cavemen. Overwhelming testosterone despite a few strong female characters. Well. More like one.

Story threads are making a fun and mildly lumpy tapestry. =)

Frank | 707 comments I am running through The Last Kingdom, hopefully done tomorrow, then full attention to this Hamilton, which needs it with all the characters he usually has in his tomes.

message 19: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - added it

Soo wrote: "When are we doing the sequel?

Nearly done with audio round 1. Planning to skim-read book and make notes sometime this week.

The terrible transitions do not detract enough from the plot. John Lee..."

You probably didn't notice it on the schedule since the schedule is bi-monthly to accommodate the most people with varyign reading speeds... book 2 is scheduled for March 8th, I think, and the 3rd is May 8th...

message 20: by Angela Jr. (new) - added it

Angela Jr. | 995 comments I'm DNFing at 21%. This is the wrong audiobook for me, it can't hold my attention at all and subsequently i have very little idea what's happening...

message 21: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey (jwhitsitt) | 35 comments Just started today. Looking forward to it.

message 22: by Soo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 5346 comments Angela Jr. wrote: "I'm DNFing at 21%. This is the wrong audiobook for me, it can't hold my attention at all and subsequently i have very little idea what's happening..."

If you can, I would give it another hour or so. It makes more sense around 35%.

message 23: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - added it

Soo wrote: "Angela Jr. wrote: "I'm DNFing at 21%. This is the wrong audiobook for me, it can't hold my attention at all and subsequently i have very little idea what's happening..."

If you can, I would give i..."

I just started, and I'm not sure if it's the book or the narrator that's the problem... I'm only on like page 5, but I find myself lulled by the narrator's cadence, rather than paying attention to his words...

message 24: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - added it

5% in: Edenist puberty -- (view spoiler)

message 25: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - added it

Soo wrote: "When are we doing the sequel?

The terrible transitions do not detract enough from the plot. John Lee..."

This is a good description... I think I'm getting used to the narration...

message 26: by Soo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 5346 comments Timelord Iain (Eeyawn) wrote: "5% in: Edenist puberty -- [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

John Lee usually does a good job but I think he did a great one for this book. It's hard to realize that until later though because so much happens that I think you kind of ignore him talking for the info he is saying.

message 27: by Angela Jr. (new) - added it

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Soo wrote: "Angela Jr. wrote: "I'm DNFing at 21%. This is the wrong audiobook for me, it can't hold my attention at all and subsequently i have very little idea what's happening..."

If you can, I would give i..."

Hm, I'll finish my current audiobook and then try again.. can't promise anything though 😅

message 28: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - added it

Soo wrote: "Timelord Iain (Eeyawn) wrote: "5% in: Edenist puberty -- [spoilers removed]"

[spoilers removed]

John Lee usually does a good job but I think he did a great one for this book. It's hard to realize..."

It's all so nonchalant... I do think the narration has gotten better / more understandable... I also sought out some summaries to get a feel for the MCs / factions...

Bit further in now: Edenists vs Adamists: (view spoiler)

message 29: by Soo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 5346 comments What speed are you listening at? I started the audio at 1.8x and later listened to about 1.9-2x.

It actually takes like 40% for you to get a good grasp of the characters & places (habitats, ships, planets).

There's more differences between the Edenists & Adamists. I think the biblical attachments in the story are interesting & detracts from the plot.

Like, I find it hard to envision people regularly saying "Mother Mary!" to curse in futurewhen.

message 30: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - added it

I'm listening at 1.5x... I might speed up to 2x around 40%, when that full grasping happens...

message 31: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey (jwhitsitt) | 35 comments Ch 2

(view spoiler)

message 32: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey (jwhitsitt) | 35 comments Wow, Ch 3, take off!

Frank | 707 comments Well I am 150 pages thru, plodding along creating some notes on characters and places.

For all there is a Confederation Handbook, published in paperback for the trilogy that may be helpful. The Confederation Handbook.

I am curious though how many are reading vs. audio?

message 34: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - added it

Frank wrote: "Well I am 150 pages thru, plodding along creating some notes on characters and places.

For all there is a Confederation Handbook, published in paperback for the trilogy that may be helpful. [book..."

I'm doing audio, altho I've paused to finish Gardens of the Moon and some other things...

Wikipedia has a decent summary going for the book: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rea...

This online review is also pretty detailed... altho I think some of it comes from that wikipedia article: http://sfpotpourri.blogspot.com/2014/...

message 35: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey (jwhitsitt) | 35 comments I'm reading, but only 3 chapters in.

The first 2 chapters had me worried that I might not like it, but I really enjoyed Chapter 3.

(view spoiler)

Frank | 707 comments Timelord Iain (Eeyawn) wrote: "Frank wrote: "Well I am 150 pages thru, plodding along creating some notes on characters and places.

For all there is a Confederation Handbook, published in paperback for the trilogy that may be ..."

Thanks, did take a look at those, but always worried about spoiling if I read too far in, LOL.

Ah Gardens of the Moon, I have read twice already and still can't jump off to the next books.

message 37: by Soo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 5346 comments I did it by audio and plan to skim-read the print. Book ended up getting better as it went. =)

message 38: by Angela Jr. (new) - added it

Angela Jr. | 995 comments tried again, but still not for me... i got up to hour 15 but still can't focus on the story.

message 39: by Soo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 5346 comments Aw sorry to hear that the story didn't work out for ya.

Frank | 707 comments Well, I finished the story, decided to read it, as I thought an audio version would get away from me, as seeing the characters name in print was able to give me the ability to follow everyone, as Hamilton does jump around quite a bit.
This a solid story, wonderful world setup and character development, and large story.
We have our heroes, rogues and the bad, oh that Quinn Dexter!!
I will be moving to the next book in March, hope some are joining.

message 41: by Soo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 5346 comments I'm in for book 2.

message 42: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - added it

I DNF'd this for now... haven't touched the book in over 2 weeks... admitting defeat... but I plan to try again in the future...