What is Life without books discussion

Archive 2019 > Who wants to read the classics?

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 971 comments Mod
If you're interested in reading some of the classics as a group or buddy read sign up here.

message 2: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Reid | 3 comments I’m keen

message 3: by Denise (new)

Denise Lauron (dlauron) | 1 comments me!

message 4: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (audjvoss12) | 2 comments I am!

message 5: by Callum (new)

Callum (callumthinks) | 3 comments For Sure

message 6: by Lily (new)

Lily (storytimewithlily) Definite interested

message 7: by Mopple (new)

Mopple | 1 comments yes!

message 8: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (jacksally) | 31 comments interested

message 9: by Patricia (new)

This link is for an article on the Penguin Random House site that talks about some of the classics.

https://www.signature-reads.com/2018/...

Some of the books don't fall into the classic category in my opinion. I don't think Beloved by Tony Morrison isn't old enough or popular enough to be a classic. I think The Color Purple is more of a classic than Beloved.

What do you consider a classic?

message 10: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 6 comments Anything 50 years old or older--classic

message 11: by Patricia (new)

Thanks for that response Sonya. I agree Tony Morrison SHOULD NOT be on a classics list.

I'm going to get back to reading soon and will get this classic group going.

There is a site, which I will have to locate again, that has classics on it. It's set up so you get a certain amount of chapters at a time. I'm wondering if anyone would find that helpful.

message 12: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (jacksally) | 31 comments Are we going to choose a classic to read together?

message 13: by Patricia (new)

Yes any suggestions? I'm trying to get things back on track.

I know a lot of people said Dickens and I had picked a short one. Then my life blew up. 😕 Sorry but I'll get this going. Post your suggestions.

message 14: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (jacksally) | 31 comments I am not a big Dickens fan, but I will try to read it

message 15: by Patricia (new)

He's not my favorite either. Suggest anything. I want to read the Bronte's, Thomas Hardy, Henry James.

I think Henry James is an easier read than most.

Oh, and dang, I cannot think of her name. The Buccaneers by Edith Wharton Edith Wharton. The book I posted is not one of her best. She was part of New Port Rhode Island elite and wrote books about that time. She also spent a lot of time in England and was part of the nobility crowd.

And then there's Elizabeth Gaskell. I have a set of 3 BBC miniseries based on her books that I LOVE. If any if these authors look good let me know.

If not suggest away.

message 16: by Michelle (last edited Jan 03, 2019 09:21AM) (new)

Michelle (jacksally) | 31 comments I think a great start may be the Color Purple or if we have to read Charles Dickens maybe start with Great expectations.

Maybe try to keep the classic book reads to a lower amount of pages as well. I really don't want to try to read the Count of Monte Cristo again. So of the classics were very long reads.....

message 17: by Patricia (new)

The Wings of the Dove by Henry James

The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James

Daisy Miller by Henry James

Washington Square by Henry James

The Golden Bowl by Henry James

Michelle take a look at these books by Henry James and see if any interest you. His books have been made into movies because he's so relatable today - like Jane Austen. He's much easier to read though.

Everyone else take a look too. I think he may be an easy start.

message 18: by Michelle (last edited Jan 03, 2019 11:01AM) (new)

Michelle (jacksally) | 31 comments I could hop on reading Jane Austen! I think we should start with this!

message 19: by Patricia (new)

Persuasion? I have two movie versions and neither answers enough questions. It's on my TBR list. So is Mansfield Park.