Anything Goes discussion

The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements
This topic is about The Disappearing Spoon
Reading Corner > Richard's Reading Corner

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Richard (new)

Richard Due (richarddue) | 13 comments Hello,

I'm heading out for the UK on the 21st. My daughter, who studies costume design at Rutgers Unveristy is going to spend a semestar working at The Globe, and we've decided to cross the pond for a week with the whole family before her gig starts. We'll be splitting our time between Bristol and London.

I'm currently editing the second Idiot Genius novel, and that means my reading time is all spent reading first-person middle grade/ya. My problem is that most books in that genre don't slow me down all that much, and I don't want to take multiple books on the trip (packing issues).

As a result, I've been mucking about in the non-fiction aisles, on the hunt for a book that'll last me the whole holiday (can't be a hardback).

I'd been considering Tom Reiss's The Black Count: Glory, Revolution, Betrayal, and the Real Count of Monte Cristo, for which he won the Pulitzer Prize for Biography. But just the other day this other title, The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements, crossed my path, and I think it just might win out.

Either way, I feel certain that one or the other of these titles will keep my mind off of my editing duties, and that's a good thing.

All the best,

Richard

message 2: by Bridgette (new)

Bridgette | 1282 comments Mod
Well I hope you enjoy your visit to the UK, and the typical weather. Hope your Daughter enjoys working at the Globe it must be a privilege to work there!
Don't forget you can trawl through all the brilliant books that we have in the UK, especially in London and Bristol!! Make sure you explore the alleyway shops they are usually brilliant and can find some great books that are no longer being published.

message 3: by Richard (new)

Richard Due (richarddue) | 13 comments Oh, it's going to be great fun!!! (We've bought new raincoats for the whole family.)

We'll only be there for a week or so, but Dith classes will carry on into December. Rutgers has some kind of long-term arrangement to rent out the same flats year after year. We've been told it's a 30 minute walk from flat to Globe (via Millennium Bridge).

As far as the bookhops are concerned, it'll be a busman's holiday for me! (Only, with real Guinness Stout!) Our bookstore here in the US is now in its 27th year. Do you have a favorite shop in Bristol? London? (I'm really only interested in the second hand shops.)