What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Just to chat > Fiction about characters who start disappearing due to reader dying

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by tabascosauce (new)

tabascosauce (twicebakedsmallpotatoes) | 22 comments I was looking through a page about unfound books and someone asked about this (below) and now I'm really curious because it sounds interesting...

This is what she said in her comment:

"...a bunch of characters who slowly started disappearing or dying. You find out in the end that the reason they are disappearing is the reader is dying and they live in her memories. I think [...] I remember it was about this girl and her father who were desperately trying to move and keep up from the black hole that was going to swallow them."

She said she'd read it at least 10 years ago when she was around 10 yrs old, but that was in 2015, so last she read it was at least 13 years ago, if not more.

Someone suggested it was The Brief History of the Dead by Kevin Brockmeier but I don't want to spoil the story for myself if it is by finding out. If someone has already read the book and could tell me whether it's bc of the reader dying or not, that would be fantastic. Thank you! :)

message 2: by Kris (last edited Aug 03, 2018 07:44AM) (new)

Kris | 33329 comments Mod
Here's the Google Books preview of The Brief History of the Dead by Kevin Brockmeier - https://books.google.com/books?id=Z-B... There are different cover images.

message 3: by tabascosauce (new)

tabascosauce (twicebakedsmallpotatoes) | 22 comments Well I'm not too sure that's it, since their disappearances are bc of the reader dying, but I read Google's preview and it sounds intriguing! :o

message 4: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 179 comments Girl and Father bring to mind the Inkheart trilogy. The time frame is right, book 1 was published in 2005.

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37753 comments Mod
I'm moving this to Just to Chat because the OP is piggybacking on another member's thread and asking about a book suggested in that thread.

message 6: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4985 comments Sounds a bit like The Great Good Thing.

message 7: by tabascosauce (new)

tabascosauce (twicebakedsmallpotatoes) | 22 comments Wow, that sounds interesting too...if I don't find the book, at least I'll have lots of new suggestions! 😂

Thanks for your help! And it could have been Inkheart but my sister read that a cpl years ago and she described it and it doesn't seem to fit with the whole "world getting sucked under because the reader is dying" theme, but it's a very good suggestion, so thank you!