Beyond Reality discussion

SERIES—List & Discussions > Miles Vorkosigan--THE WARRIOR'S APPRENTICE - characters...

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
Who were your favorite and/or least favorite characters?

message 2: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (sisimka) Again, Bothari would be a favourite. I'm not sure why I find him so intriguing. He also makes a good 'straight' man to Miles. Of course Miles takes the cake for hands down favourite. I hope none of my kids grow up to be that much trouble!

message 3: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 805 comments Of course Miles is my ultimate favorite. There is just something so magnetic about his personality.

Not considering future books, I'd have to say Artie Mayhew. I found the scene where Miles first meets him is very amusing.

message 4: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

I have to go with Miles too, not just my favorite in this book but one of my all-time favorite SF characters.

message 5: by Ravenna (new)

Ravenna In this book Miles is my favourite.

But I love the fact that the man who flies Cordelia to Barrayar in Shards is Mayhew, and now he flies the son.

message 6: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

I totally missed that! You'd think I'd catch details like that on my second read-through.

message 7: by DivaDiane (new)

DivaDiane | 170 comments It's hard not to choose Miles, because there wouldn't be a book, if he weren't in it. But aside from him, I'd say Baz (or however you spell it - I listened to the audio version) or Tung (again with the spelling). I liked how Bujold developed the Barrayaran deserter's character. And Tung was just a character. I hope we see more of them in future novels.

It was also interesting to be introduced to Ellie Quinn, whom I'd already met, post surgery, in Ethan of Athos. I wasn't sure if I would re-read E of A but I think I will now.

message 8: by Jon (last edited Aug 21, 2009 06:03AM) (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 626 comments I liked the Botharis best - both of them. Beauty and the Beast with a familial twist.

message 9: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments Diane wrote: "It's hard not to choose Miles, because there wouldn't be a book, if he weren't in it. But aside from him, I'd say Baz (or however you spell it - I listened to the audio version) or Tung (again with..."

I had so forgotten Ellie Quinn's origins! That was one of the re-read eye-poppers. I won't add why, it might spoil for later.

message 10: by Lareads (new)

Lareads | 16 comments Miles of course! Re-reading this book after having read the whole series (so far) is eye-opening. I love Mile's personality and the way he uses his intelligence and wit to orchestrate every situation. I love his scene with Artie Mayhew in the ship - priceless! And Baz eating the goldfish on Beta Colony! I just love the touches of humor.