Book of The Month discussion

The Dinner List
This topic is about The Dinner List
2018 > The Dinner List Discussion

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Vanessa (thehispanicbookworm) | 314 comments Notes from Natalie Reece: As someone who has watched Sabrina and Breakfast at Tiffany’s more times than I can count, I was immediately sucked into The Dinner List, which is about a normal woman who shows up to dinner only to find Audrey Hepburn, snifter of scotch in hand, sitting at the table. The premise of the book is brilliant: If you could have dinner with any five people, living or dead, who would you choose? What would you uncover in that one night?

The story takes place all in one night, at a birthday party for Sabrina (note the namesake here) that four notable people from her past—along with Audrey—attend. It also takes place across an entire decade-long relationship between Sabrina and the great love of her life, Tobias. In one chapter, we’re placed in this mystical dinner setting, and in the next, we’re being fed pieces of their relationship that leave you questioning—what happened between them? We learn not just about Sabrina’s relationship with Tobias, but also about her more strained connections with her father, Robert, as well as with her best friend, Jessica. There’s also a wise and eccentric professor from her college days, oh, and did I mention Audrey Hepburn?

The Dinner List made me swoon, dream, and wonder. While wrapped up in the book, I almost felt as if this too could happen to me. That one night I might wind up at dinner with people who I’ve loved and lost, and finally get a chance to say what I always wished I had said before.

Vanessa (thehispanicbookworm) | 314 comments This was my top pick. I am so excited to read this one!

Carrie A | 1 comments I was surprised that I picked this book. I usually choose the thriller selection for the month. I was happy to find a few twists and turns that gave the element of a thriller, but not so dark.

I was confused for awhile. How could living people see dead people? I assumed that they were all dead and I just didn't know it. I was wrong. Although, it had to have been a just a dream. The book said it was not a dream, but how else can you explain it?

Vanessa (thehispanicbookworm) | 314 comments I loved this book. I knew I would enjoy it a couple of sentences into the synopsis. I did not expect this to be as remarkable of a story. Don't get me wrong I knew I would enjoy it but wow! Thought provoking, and the emotion was so well written I felt my own heart breaking not just for Sabrina, but for Tobias and Robert as well.