Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie discussion

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 1120 comments I was reading just this morning that audible is beginning to take over...!

message 3: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments I love that D2D offers this connection, especially since it's not related to Amazon, but I still don't have the money to get a book produced, so I'll have to wait for now, lol.

message 4: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman | 4588 comments Mod
We make more on Audible than many of the books put together! I should advertise it more. I think I will!!

message 5: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 1028 comments I need to do Audible somehow. I need to take the route that doesn't take money upfront if that's possible.

message 6: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments Carole wrote: "We make more on Audible than many of the books put together! I should advertise it more. I think I will!!"

I'm pleased to hear you're doing well with them, and yes, you should definitely promote them more. Got to maximise the money you're making.

message 7: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments D.J. wrote: "I need to do Audible somehow. I need to take the route that doesn't take money upfront if that's possible."

I should do that, to get audio books out there, but I'm reluctant, I don't like the idea of being tied to someone else for 7 years. I'd rather pay up front and have total control over the audiobooks.

message 8: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman | 4588 comments Mod
That's how I did it.

message 9: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 1028 comments Is it a narrator you’re tied to for 7 years? I’m not sure that would bother me if I made some of my money back. I’m hundreds of pounds out of pocket on Missing Remnants. I cannot understand why anyone would just be happy to accept that.

message 10: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments D.J. wrote: "Is it a narrator you’re tied to for 7 years? I’m not sure that would bother me if I made some of my money back. I’m hundreds of pounds out of pocket on Missing Remnants. I cannot understand why any..."

You have 2 options (I think) with ACX, either you can pay up front, in which case you get 40% of the list price (Audible decides list price for you, you have no control over it) and I believe you are tied to Audible for 7 years as a contract for listing the book.

The other option is that you can enter into a royalty share option with a narrator, which involves no upfront payment, though there is no guarantee that you will find a narrator willing to enter into such an agreement. If you do then you have a 7 year contract, both with Audible and with the narrator, and the 40% royalties are split evenly between you and the narrator.

With the royalty share both you and the narrator will promote the book (hopefully) so it might do better than if you were promoting it on your own, but you have to split the money, so if the book does well you might end up with less money.

It all depends on your financial position and how you look at things.

I like the idea of doing a royalty share for book 1 in my series, with the hope of earning enough to pay upfront to produce the others. My control issues, however, don't like the idea of having a 7 year contract with a narrator - I can live with a 7 year contract with Audible, it's a faceless company that as long as I follow their rules won't pay much attention to me - because that's a partner who I might not get on with over time.

message 11: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 1028 comments I think if I got someone interested in reading the thing I’d be thrilled. As long as they didn’t have a bloody annoying voice. Then again I wrote it, I don’t have to listen to it.

message 12: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments D.J. wrote: "I think if I got someone interested in reading the thing I’d be thrilled. As long as they didn’t have a bloody annoying voice. Then again I wrote it, I don’t have to listen to it."

Personally, I'm aiming big, I'm after Stephen Fry as my narrator, I heard him do Harry Potter and he's great.

message 13: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 1028 comments He’s fantastic. Hope you get him!

message 14: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments D.J. wrote: "He’s fantastic. Hope you get him!"

If only. Fortunately I have great dreams.

Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie

unread topics | mark unread