2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2018 > Mel's 12 book challenge

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mel (new)

Mel  (mellie-b) | 12 comments Hi Everyone!

So I got onto this bandwagon rather late. Haven't been reading much the last couple of years. In fact, there is one book I have been sitting on for years!

But in May this year, I decided to read The Handmaid's Tale and have suddenly gotten really into reading again. When I joined Goodreads in late July I discovered the reading challenges and decided to go for 12 (Not pushing too hard but still means reading consistently for the rest of the year.

2018 Books

1.Margaret Atwood - The Handmaid's Tale:
I really enjoyed this novel. Having been a huge fan of the television series I was surprised that it so closely represents the book. I did find the book very much just telling us about the daily life of Offred. The way the author creates the word and, the internal monologue of Offred keeps it interesting, but it never really had the high stakes that the television show did.
I highly recommend it.

2. Shari Lapena - The Couple Next Door:
An interesting story and concept that was poorly executed at times. There are aspects of the characters I found unrealistic, in fact I found most of the story twisted and unrealistic. But if you can suspend disbelief it is a fun read.
I recommend it for a time filler if you have nothing else to read.

3. Bunty Avieson - Apartment 255:
I love finding stories set in Australia. While much of this story was overall predictable the author still successfully built suspense that kept me interested and turning the pages seeking the answers. The resolution was a little weird but otherwise, it was great.
I recommend this book.

4. Gabrielle Lord - Spiking The Girl:
Another story set in Australia.
The third in a series I intend to read (I picked this up from an op shop and did not realise that it was part of a series.) I found it interesting and while I have read complaints that too much is going on I liked that because it made the story feel more real. A PI would be working more than one case, in fact, I know they do! A really great read.
I recommend this book (Probably after you read the first two).

5. Kaled Hosseini - A Thousand Splendid Suns:
When I was about 16 I tried to read Kite Runner and just could not get invested in the story or the characters. I did not have that issue with this novel. I found it engaging and highly emotional. I read it in about a week which surprised me considering how big it had appeared when I was first given it. I was highly invested in the story and the characters.
I HIGHLY recommend this book be added to everyone's list.

6. Eileen Ormsby - The Darkest Web:
What's Better than Crime Fiction? True Crime. This book is separated into three sections (Dark, Darker, Darkest) and in each section, we hear real stories from the Deep Web. I found it very interesting and really enjoyed the time spent with this book.
Recommended for anyone interested in modern true crime.

7. J.K. Rowling/ Newt Scamander -Fantastic Beasts & Where To Find Them: (Audible)
This was sitting in my Audible library so I decided to finally sit down and listen to it. Something tells me an illustrated edition would be far more interesting for me. Nevertheless, always happy to dive back into the world created by J.K. Rowling.
Recommend this for any Harry Potter fan.

Currently Reading: Ed James - The Hope That Kills
Inside Their Minds: Rochelle Jackson - Australian Criminals (Audible)

message 2: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Wishing you the best of luck with your goal Mel & happy reading!

message 3: by Mel (new)

Mel  (mellie-b) | 12 comments Susy wrote: "Wishing you the best of luck with your goal Mel & happy reading!"

Thank you!!

message 4: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 11916 comments Doing great so far Mel keep it up!

message 5: by Mel (last edited Aug 02, 2018 02:35PM) (new)

Mel  (mellie-b) | 12 comments 2018 Books

I really enjoyed this novel. Having been a huge fan of the television series I was surprised that it so closely represents the book. I did find the book very much just telling us about the daily life of Offred. The way the author creates the word and, the internal monologue of Offred keeps it interesting, but it never really had the high stakes that the television show did.
I highly recommend it.

An interesting story and concept that was poorly executed at times. There are aspects of the characters I found unrealistic, in fact I found most of the story twisted and unrealistic. But if you can suspend disbelief it is a fun read.

I love finding stories set in Australia. While much of this story was overall predictable the author still successfully built suspense that kept me interested and turning the pages seeking the answers. The resolution was a little weird but otherwise, it was great.
I recommend this book.

The third in a series I intend to read (I picked this up from an op shop and did not realise that it was part of a series.) I found it interesting and while I have read complaints that too much is going on I liked that because it made the story feel more real. A PI would be working more than one case, in fact, I know they do! A really great read.

When I was about 16 I tried to read Kite Runner and just could not get invested in the story or the characters. I did not have that issue with this novel. I found it engaging and highly emotional. I read it in about a week which surprised me considering how big it had appeared when I was first given it. I was highly invested in the story and the characters.

What's Better than Crime Fiction? True Crime. This book is separated into three sections (Dark, Darker, Darkest) and in each section, we hear real stories from the Deep Web. I found it very interesting and really enjoyed the time spent with this book.

7. J.K. Rowling/ Newt Scamander -Fantastic Beasts & Where To Find Them: (Audible)
This was sitting in my Audible library so I decided to finally sit down and listen to it. Something tells me an illustrated edition would be far more interesting for me. Nevertheless, always happy to dive back into the world created by J.K. Rowling.

8. Ed James - The Hope That Kills:
The first in a series of procedural detective stories. I really enjoyed this story, I feel that near the end it became a little unrealistic, but that is the joy of fiction. However, even if it is a little unrealistic, it is also frightening when you think that something similar might be able to happen. I am looking forward to the rest of the series.
I would recommend for procedural crime fans.

Currently Reading: Ed James - The Hope That Kills
Inside Their Minds: Rochelle Jackson - Australian Criminals (Audible)

message 6: by Mel (new)

I highly recommend it.

I recommend this book.

The first in a series of procedural detective stories. I really enjoyed this story, I feel that near the end it became a little unrealistic, but that is the joy of fiction. However, even if it is a little unrealistic, it is also frightening when you think that something similar might be able to happen. I am looking forward to the rest of the series.

9. Rochelle Jackson - Inside Their Minds: Australian Criminals: (Audible)
This book was touted as more of a criminal psychology book than it actually is. There are some really insightful interviews with the criminals and the people around them. They talk about the upbringing and the events that led up to the crimes of the subject. I found it interesting, but it is not what I was expecting.
A good read for people interested in Australian Criminals.

Currently Reading: Sam Brower - Prophet's Prey
Mark Bourri, Peter Vronsky & R.J Parker - Peter Woodcock: Canada's Youngest Serial Killer (Crimes Canada: True Crimes That Shocked the Nation #11) (AUDIBLE)

message 7: by Mel (new)

Mel  (mellie-b) | 12 comments I've been getting through far more books than I thought I would. Especially now that I have gone back to audible (So I can listen while walking or doing my shopping and mindless tasks like that).

I am not sure what I should increase to and what is reasonable as I intend to start University in November.

2018 Books

I highly recommend it.

I love finding stories set in Australia. While much of this story was overall predictable the author still successfully built suspense that kept me interested and turning the pages seeking the answers. The resolution was a little weird, but otherwise, it was great.
I recommend this book.

The third in a series I intend to read (I picked this up from an op shop and did not realise that it was part of a series.) I found it interesting and while I have read complaints that too much is going on I liked that because it made the story feel more real. A PI would be working more than one case; in fact, I know they do! A really great read.

This was sitting in my Audible library, so I decided to finally sit down and listen to it. Something tells me an illustrated edition would be far more interesting for me. Nevertheless, always happy to dive back into the world created by J.K. Rowling.

This book was touted as more of a criminal psychology book than it actually is. There are some really insightful interviews with the criminals and the people around them. They talk about the upbringing and the events that led up to the crimes of the subject. I found it interesting, but it is not what I was expecting.

10.Mark Bourri, Peter Vronsky & R.J Parker - Peter Woodcock: Canada's Youngest Serial Killer (Crimes Canada: True Crimes That Shocked the Nation #11) (AUDIBLE):
A very factual report about Peter Woodcock's life and his crimes. Interesting if you are interested in just reading factual details about crimes.

Currently Reading: Sam Brower - Prophet's Prey

message 8: by Mel (last edited Aug 15, 2018 02:56PM) (new)

Mel  (mellie-b) | 12 comments I have decided to go up to 20 books by the end of the year. We'll see how I go.

2018 Books

I highly recommend it.

I love finding stories set in Australia. While much of this story was overall predictable the author still successfully built suspense that kept me interested and turning the pages seeking the answers. The resolution was a little weird, but otherwise, it was great.
I recommend this book.

The third in a series I intend to read (I picked this up from an op shop and did not realise that it was part of a series.) I found it interesting and while I have read complaints that too much is going on I liked that because it made the story feel more real. A PI would be working more than one case; in fact, I know they do! A really great read.

This was sitting in my Audible library, so I decided to finally sit down and listen to it. Something tells me an illustrated edition would be far more interesting for me. Nevertheless, always happy to dive back into the world created by J.K. Rowling.

10.Mark Bourri, Peter Vronsky & R.J Parker - Peter Woodcock: Canada's Youngest Serial Killer (Crimes Canada: True Crimes That Shocked the Nation #11) (AUDIBLE):
A very factual report about Peter Woodcock's life and his crimes. Interesting if you are interested in just reading factual details about crimes.

11.Sam Brower - Prophet's Prey:
A great memoir written by a private investigator who worked on many cases involving the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. The insight he gives is great for anyone who is interested in this cult. There are many books written by former members of the FLDS (Many of which I intend to read), however, I do not think there are many written by outsiders who have such a great personal insight into the FLDS.
Highly Recommended.

Currently Reading:

R.J. Parker, Peter Vronsky, Michael Newton, Sylvia Perrini, J.J. Slate - 2016 Serial Killers True Crime Anthology (Annual True Crime Anthology #3) (AUDIBLE)

Jack Rosewood & Rebecca Lo -The Big Book of Serial Killers: 150 Serial Killer Files of the World's Worst Murderers (An Encyclopedia of Serial Killers)

message 9: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Mel wrote: "I have decided to go up to 20 books by the end of the year. We'll s2. Shari Lapena - The Couple Next Door:
I recommend it for a time filler if you have nothing else to read. ..."

I know what you mean. On the other hand I find myself hearing horrible stories on the news or from friends/family and saying "If I were to see that in a movie or read it in a book, I would be complaining about how unrealistic and unbelievable it is". The world is a crazy place and sometimes the unbelievable does happen, unfortunately.

Mel wrote: "I have decided to go up to 20 books by the end of the year. We'll see how I go. ..."

Nice going Mel!!

message 10: by Marie (new)

Marie Williamson (mariewilliamson240goodreadcom) | 17 comments excellent

message 11: by Mel (new)

Mel  (mellie-b) | 12 comments I agree, Susy real life can be stranger than fiction. Spoiler here: I just found the main female character's whole "I black out and can't remember things" annoying. Especially at the end. And I found some aspects convoluted.

message 12: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Agree! She wasn’t my favorite character either, especially at the end as you say, she was quite annoying indeed.

message 13: by Mel (new)

I highly recommend it.

I recommend this book.

11.Sam Brower - Prophet's Prey:
A great memoir written by a private investigator who worked on many cases involving the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. The insight he gives is great for anyone who is interested in this cult. There are many books written by former members of the FLDS (Many of which I intend to read), however, I do not think there are many written by outsiders who have such a great personal insight into the FLDS.
Highly Recommended.

12.R.J. Parker, Peter Vronsky, Michael Newton, Sylvia Perrini, J.J. Slate - 2016 Serial Killers True Crime Anthology (Annual True Crime Anthology #3) (AUDIBLE):
Factual and informative. Great for people who have an interest in learning more about specific serial killers. Not the first or last of such Anthologies I plan to read.
Recommend for those with an interest in serial killers.

Jack Rosewood & Rebecca Lo -The Big Book of Serial Killers: 150 Serial Killer Files of the World's Worst Murderers (An Encyclopedia of Serial Killers)

Probably not supposed to be read like a novel. But I did it anyway. It proved quite the slog and took me far more time to finish than I would have thought. Great factual information.
Recommend

11.J.K Rowling - Tales of Beedle the Bard:
Time to lighten things up after all the heavy true-crime and cult books. As all work by J.K about the wizarding world I found this book thoroughly enjoyable and an easy fun read (I read it over a bus trip home and one back to work the next day).
Highly recommend as a quick fun read.

Currently Reading:

Jodi Picoult - My Sister's Keeper

message 14: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 11916 comments You are on your way to having a great year in books! Do you have a book you still can't wait to read?