The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

FALL CHALLENGE 2018 > Fall Challenge 2018: Task Ideas

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 4543 comments Mod
It's time to start thinking about fun tasks for the Fall Challenge.

The bonus theme is Entertainment: Recreation (sports, games, hikes)

As in past challenges, some tasks may revolve around the seasonal theme of fall. Others may reflect the bonus theme. Other tasks may have nothing to do with either of these themes, they’re just fun ideas for unique reading challenges.

Feel free to post as many ideas as you can come up with. Don't worry about repeating what another player might have already suggested. The more ideas, the better!

The moderators will draw from these ideas as well as their own to create the 5, 10, and 15 point tasks. This thread will be open for ideas until August 16. Fall tasks will begin to be posted on August 18. We look forward to seeing what you come up with!

message 2: by Pam (last edited Aug 01, 2018 03:57PM) (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) 1. Title with a word matching one of these cards: Ace, King, Queen, Jack or #2-10 in a series
2. Title with a team mascot (state the team)
3. One word title that is a compound word

message 3: by Marie (UK) (last edited Aug 08, 2018 01:29PM) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2476 comments Board games
There are so many we have

Monopoly
Cluedo - is that Clue in US? - weapons or rooms in title
Lords of Waterdeep
Tsuro - game of the path - path on cover
Bezzerwizzer - title or author with double Z in it
Flee the scene - about stealing loot from museums
Carcassonne
Takenoko - giant pandas
Tokaido
Ticket to Ride

would work well as a two book challenge letters in title

message 4: by Shanna_redwind (last edited Aug 01, 2018 08:35AM) (new)

message 5: by Ed (new)

Ed Lehman | 678 comments The 2018 World Series of Baseball is set to begin on October 23, and a potential Game 7 is scheduled for October 31.
Task could be read a book about baseball, a baseball player, or Author's initials in "World Series" or some such.

message 6: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 332 comments The world championship soccer was in july . Read a book set in two countries chosen out of the last four teams playing. This could be usd for any world championship

message 7: by Melanie (last edited Aug 01, 2018 03:02PM) (new)

Melanie (watermelanie) | 124 comments Read a book set in a country that qualified for this summer's World Cup: Russia, Belgium, Germany, England, Spain, Poland, Iceland, Serbia, France, Portugal, Switzerland, Croatia, Sweden, Denmark, Iran, South Korea, Japan, Saudi Arabia, Australia, Nigeria, Egypt, Senegal, Tunisia, Morocco, Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama, Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina, Colombia, and Peru

Read a book set in one of the countries listed in this list of Best Places to Hike in the World https://localadventurer.com/25-best-h...
-Peru, Chile, United States (Georgia, North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine; Arizona; California, Oregon or Washington), Tanzania, Sweden, Nepal, Bhutan, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Uganda, France, Italy, Switzerland, Iceland, Scotland, Argentina, or Jordan

Read a book with one of the top 11 US high school mascots in the title/cover: eagle, bulldog, tiger, viking, lion, wildcat, cougar, panther, warrior, knight, falcon

Read a book by an author who shares a first or last name with one of the characters from the television series Parks and Recreation: Leslie Knope, Ron Swanson, Ann Perkins, Tom Haverford, April Ludgate, Andy Dwyer, Chris Traeger, Ben Wyatt, Jerry Gergich, and Donna Meagle.

Read a book with a natural landscape on the cover. Examples: The Woman In Black by Susan Hill Under the Banner of Heaven A Story of Violent Faith by Jon Krakauer Silence by Shūsaku Endō

message 8: by Papermaker (new)

Papermaker | 146 comments How about one for the tennis majors: a book that takes place in Australia, France, England or New York City for the US Open

message 9: by Katrina (new)

Katrina (katrinasreads) | 207 comments Hi, this will be the first time I've competed in a challenge for ages, so feel a little guilty making suggestions.

Fall sees Banned Books Week and Black History Month so maybe something to do with one of those events.

There's also Non-fiction November, so possibly a memoir involving nature.

As it'll also be Halloween maybe a book title and author's name which feature those letters.

message 10: by Paula (new)

Paula S (paula_s) | 496 comments Fall is also back to school. Maybe a book that takes place in a school or a book with an item usually associated with school on the cover, such as a pencil, a school bus or an apple?

Fall is also the season of rains here. Maybe a book that takes place during a flood or another event involving a lot of water, such as a hurricane or severe rain storm?

message 11: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7592 comments Maybe a book where the series was left incomplete by an author’s death and it was continued by someone else

message 12: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7592 comments A book featuring some kind of natural or man-made disaster - you could do it as a 2 book task - one book fiction, the other NF

message 13: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 941 comments Halloween comes in Fall-Read a "scary" book

In the Northern Hemisphere Fall is the time of leaves changing color-Read a book that has the name of a color in the title. Read a book that has a tree on the cover. Read a book whose Authors initials are in the words "Changing Colors".

In the the US November gives us the Thanksgiving Holiday, which is all about food. Read a book the features food on the cover. Read a book that is either written by a chef, or whose story features food.

message 14: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) School task. 1) title with the word school or a school subject in it. Examples: history, math, English, art, music, science, reading, writing. 2) setting on a campus or a campus cover 3) Protagonist is a teacher or professor 4) Nonfiction about education, math, science, history, language.

Fall is the season for apples! An Apple related task: 1) the title or author shares a word with an Apple name 2) subject involves the environment/nature or harvesting plants (set on an orchard, vineyard, farm).

message 15: by Papermaker (new)

Papermaker | 146 comments The Appalachian Trail is one of the most hiked in the US. Read a book where the first letter of each word is in Appalachian Trail. If it is a 15 pt task pick one of the world’s most walked trails.

message 16: by Shala (new)

Shala | 72 comments One of my favorite board games growing up was SORRY! Read a book that has the four SORRY! colors on the cover (red, yellow, blue, green).

message 17: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3670 comments My favorite board game as a child was PARCHEESI, an American brand name of the traditional Indian game Pachisi. - Read a book set in India

message 18: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3670 comments I tried to make friends with Sports ... They didn't want to make friends with me. I have vision problems and, after getting hit in the face repeatedly, was advised by my ophthalmologist to "stay away from sports where the ball is coming at you." .... Read a book where a person is wearing glasses on the cover. (Will take sunglasses, as they could be prescription.)

message 19: by Marie (UK) (last edited Aug 08, 2018 01:28PM) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2476 comments Book Concierge wrote: "I tried to make friends with Sports ... They didn't want to make friends with me. I have vision problems and, after getting hit in the face repeatedly, was advised by my ophthalmologist to "stay aw..."

love it - made me remember a "its a knockout" competition where i had to sit on my uncle's shoulders and put a lance through an iron ring - only trouble was they wouldn't let me wear my glasses -needless to say it was a disaster

Read a book about a disaster - non fiction
Read a book where someone is sitting on someone else's shoulders

message 20: by Celeste (new)

Celeste (celesteryr) | 371 comments Melanie wrote: "Read a book set in a country that qualified for this summer's World Cup: Russia, Belgium, Germany, England, Spain, Poland, Iceland, Serbia, France, Portugal, Switzerland, Croatia, Sweden, Denmark, ..."

#genius

They should give you a post just for writing all that.

message 21: by Tammy AZ (new)

Tammy AZ (tammyaz) | 890 comments Hiking is big in the National Parks. How about a book set in or about one of the National Parks?

Or set in a state/territory with a National Park https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...

message 22: by Casey (new)

Casey Wojtal | 81 comments This fall will see another election in the US.

Read a book with a MPG: Politics/Political Science

or read a book by an author who has a connection to government/politics (explain that background).

message 23: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (watermelanie) | 124 comments Celeste wrote: "Melanie wrote: "Read a book set in a country that qualified for this summer's World Cup: Russia, Belgium, Germany, England, Spain, Poland, Iceland, Serbia, France, Portugal, Switzerland, Croatia, S..."

Haha, thanks! Typing that all out on my phone was definitely a struggle.

message 24: by Julia (new)

Julia (julia103) | 1692 comments One of my favorite games is Mah Jongg. This is played with tiles that have various suits: Dots, Bams (bamboo), craks (Chinese character), Flowers, Winds, and Dragons.

Read a book with any of these on the cover:
polka dots
bamboo shoots (or just long grass or branches?)
Chinese characters/symbols
flowers
a weathervane
a dragon

Read a book with author initials MJ

Read a book with "Mah Jongg" (or variation that maintains the meaning) in title/subtitle/series name or in the description on GR book page.

The first portion of the game is called the Charleston.
Read a book set in one of the provinces or states that have a city named Charleston (list on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charleston)

message 25: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 348 comments I am currently just over halfway through roadtrip of part of the US. A few things I am enjoying on my trip are meeting fellow booktubers, visiting independent bookstores, and the national park system! It is a lifelong goal of mine to completely fill out my national park passport.

Author initials found in BOOKTUBE

Maybe read a book you found at an indie bookstore?

Or a book tied to a national park?—letters from title found in NATIONAL PARK PASSPORT or somethig like that.

message 26: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 547 comments The Strong Museum has a National Toy Hall of Fame which has had 65 toys inducted into it. Read a book with a word from the name of one of the toys
http://www.museumofplay.org/about/toy...

message 27: by Trish (last edited Aug 13, 2018 04:23AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2495 comments November marks a centenary since the end of WWI. Maybe a book (fiction or non-fiction) set during or about WWI.

A book first published between 1914-18.

A book with a poppy/poppies on the cover (natural or stylised)

The treaty at the end of the war was signed in the Hall of Mirrors at Versailles. Maybe a book where the author's initials can be found in "VERSAILLES" or perhaps with a mirror on the cover.

A book of poetry to celebrate the War Poets of WWI (http://www.warpoetry.co.uk/biogs99.htm).

Back on sports. Most popular sports: this is at least one list of the top-10 . Not sure if you can maybe use that for the 5-pointers: https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/w...

Perhaps a book set in the home city, state (where the team is a state name) or region (New England, Green Bay) of one of the 32 NFL teams (https://www.nfl.com/teams) or perhaps with part of their name in the title, or a person/animal from those names on the cover.

Or keeping it simple - any kind of sports equipment on the cover.

Hiking. Maybe a book about hiking, or with hiking boots on the front cover. A book with "nature" or "travel" as a MPG.

Games. A book with a picture related to one of the four suits in a normal card deck on the cover, i.e. diamonds, hearts, spades, clubs. So a gemstone could work for diamonds, for example.

Similar but different. The original purpose of tarot cards was to play games, so a book with a picture related to one of the four Tarot suits on the front: swords, cups, coins, wands/staves. Plus you could also add the Fool and the Major Arcana (maybe MPG of fantasy or magic?)

Or associated with both the above - a book with either playing cards or tarot cards (individual or deck) on the cover.

I do love board games, but the problem is how to distill that down to a task.

One easy one would be to have elements of a board game on a cover (counters, pawns, an actual board, etc).

I love my top-tens, so here's one for board games:
https://hobbylark.com/board-games/The....

One of my favourite board game designers - and accredited in board game circles as one of the best, is Dr. Reiner Knizia. Maybe a task where the author's name or book initials can be found in REINER KNIZIA. He's German by birth, but spent a long time in England. Also, Germany has a really strong family board game tradition, so there are a lot of great German board games which are now available world-wide, either in English editions or with English rules.

message 28: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 2079 comments Read a book that someone claimed in the Summer 2018 Challenge
See: Books Mentioned in this Topic for Completed Posts in Summer 2018 Thread
When posting, the poster MUST include the page number where the book is listed

message 29: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 1352 comments Well, this fall is setting up for me to go into total geek mode with J.K. Rowlings.

Lethal White comes out in Sept. Read a book by an author using a pseudonym

C.B. Strike (U.S name for the Coromoran Strike television series) is coming out on DVD in Sept as well. I finally get to watch it!
Read a book with a main page genre Mystery

Then there is the screenplay AND the new movie in November of Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - The Original Screenplay
Read a book with a main page genre of Fantasy,
Has an author that shares the initials of key characters in the movie

Fall is my favorite season, and the above just makes me all the more thrilled that it's almost here.

message 30: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 1352 comments Part II of The Great American Read kicks off in September

Repeat of the Summer SRC task 15.8 - The Great American Read

message 31: by Slayermel (new)

Slayermel | 54 comments Living here in Canada some of the things that will be happening here this fall are:

School starting up again Sept 4th:
Read a book set in a school
Read a book where the main character is an educator or Student
Read a book with a :Chalk board, apple, pencil and ruler, book etc.. on the cover

Here the leaves all change colour in the fall and Farmers harvest most of their crops
Read a book with Trees on the cover or changing leaves
Read a book with a farm, tractor, farm animals, pumpkins, corn or other crops on the cover

We Celebrate Thanksgiving October 8th this year:
Read a book about family coming together
Read a book with food on the cover or where the main theme in the story revolves around food.

Halloween is October 31
Read a Horror book
Read a book with someone in a costume on the cover
Read a book with Candy in the Title or on the cover

November marks some of our busiest shopping months as we get ready for christmas;
Read a book where a store, mall, market is the main location of the story or the main character is an employee in one of the previous mentioned locations.

message 32: by Paula (new)

Paula S (paula_s) | 496 comments We're going into northern hemisphere autumn and southern hemisphere spring, so maybe a two book task where one book represents spring (spring word in title, spring motif on cover, etc. ) and the other book represents autumn?

message 33: by Heather (new)

Heather | 380 comments October is Halloween month. Read a book by the master of horror, Stephen King.

message 34: by Julia (new)

Julia (julia103) | 1692 comments For the hiking theme:
Read a book with sneakers or walking shoes on the cover
Read a book with a path in the woods on the cover

(Both of these suggestions were inspired by the logo submissions)

I also like the suggestion in post #15 about the world's most popular trails.

For sports:
Read a biography or autobiography of an athlete who competed in the Olympic Games
(or for 15.1 - 15.4 one book about a professional athlete and one about someone who was in the Olympics)

Read a book whose title/subtitle includes all the letters in OLYMPICS

Author initials in OLYMPIC GAMES

message 35: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2476 comments I like the suggestion above and in # 15 there are many walking routes in the UK I am not sure we call them trails in the same way as the US but
The Pennine Way
The southwest coast path
The coast to Coast
The West highland way in Scotland
Glyndŵr's Way and
Offa's Dyke Path in Wales
Mull of Galloway in Ireland

message 36: by Amy the book-bat (last edited Aug 16, 2018 08:59PM) (new)

Amy the book-bat (batkisses) | 201 comments video games: The game E. T. for the Atari 2600 is often considered the worst video game ever (even though I actually liked it).
-Read a book with an author whose initials are ET
-Read a book with a title that starts with a letter in ATARI
-Read a book set in the 1980's
-Read a book with an alien in it
-Read a book with MPG science fiction or tagged space

message 37: by Amy the book-bat (new)

Amy the book-bat (batkisses) | 201 comments sports: The NASCAR championship will be decided in November at the Homestead-Miami Speedway in Florida.
-Read a book with a car on the cover
-Read a book set in Florida
-Read a book about auto racing
-Read a book with a title that begins with a letter in NASCAR
-Read a biography of a race car driver

message 38: by Amy the book-bat (last edited Aug 16, 2018 08:59PM) (new)

Amy the book-bat (batkisses) | 201 comments The Walking Dead returns for season 9 in October.
-Read a book about zombies
-Read one of the Walking Dead graphic novels or tv tie-in novels
-Read a book with a main character named Rick, Daryl, Maggie, or Carol
-Read a book with a weapon on the cover
-Read a book with MPG horror

message 39: by Amy the book-bat (last edited Aug 17, 2018 12:04PM) (new)

Amy the book-bat (batkisses) | 201 comments Doctor Who season 11, featuring the start of the 13th doctor will be premiering this fall. This will be the first time the doctor is a woman.
-Read a book with a female doctor character
-Read a book with the word "who" in the title
-Read a book with the number 11 or 13 in the page count (i.e. 130, 313, 511, 1113, etc.)
-Read a book with a title that begins with a letter in TARDIS
-Read a book about time travel