Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Believe Me
This topic is about Believe Me
Previous BRs - Authors; A - D > Delaney, J. P--Believe Me informal buddy read starts August 7, 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30933 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss Believe Me by J.P. Delaney.

Synopsis
In this twisty psychological thriller from the New York Times bestselling author of The Girl Before, an actress plays both sides of a murder investigation.

A struggling actor, a Brit in America without a green card, Claire needs work and money to survive. Then she gets both. But nothing like she expected.

Claire agrees to become a decoy for a firm of divorce lawyers. Hired to entrap straying husbands, she must catch them on tape with their seductive propositions. The rules? Never hit on the mark directly. Make it clear you’re available, but he has to proposition you, not the other way around. The firm is after evidence, not coercion. The innocent have nothing to hide.

Then the game changes.

When the wife of one of Claire’s targets is violently murdered, the cops are sure the husband is to blame. Desperate to catch him before he kills again, they enlist Claire to lure him into a confession.

Claire can do this. She’s brilliant at assuming a voice and an identity. For a woman who’s mastered the art of manipulation, how difficult could it be to tempt a killer into a trap? But who is the decoy . . . and who is the prey?

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

Geri | 2046 comments Really want to read this!

message 5: by Laura (last edited Aug 02, 2018 06:45PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Laura | 9707 comments Hi Geri,
Brooke is making her way over. I think she wants to start a little later.

I'm looking forward to reading this one too!

Brooke | 1199 comments Hey ladies! I've been looking forward to this one. I enjoyed The Girl Before, so hopefully this will also be good. One of the GR reviews mentions that this was originally published in 2001 as "The Decoy," and according to the author:
“although built around the same idea as the earlier one, and containing some of the same scenes, is completely different in plot, characterization, and structure.”

Either way, I'm in.

Brooke | 1199 comments Oh - and I realized that I have this on audio, so if you want to start it Tuesday that's fine. :-)

Geri | 2046 comments Brooke wrote: "Hey ladies! I've been looking forward to this one. I enjoyed The Girl Before, so hopefully this will also be good. One of the GR reviews mentions that this was originally published in 2001 as "The ..."

Interesting! So the book is the same as the earlier book but not the same! LOL I never read the previous book, so it will be new to me. I’m ready to start Tuesday or later. I’m flexible.

Laura | 9707 comments @ Geri; sometimes you like to read the BOM ; if you want to nominate a book before deadline!

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 10: by Chie (new) - rated it 2 stars

Chie | 154 comments Oh, I got this one! I hope I can squeeze it in with my other books :/

Laura | 9707 comments Hi Chie. Welcome.
I didn't read the other one either so all good

message 12: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2046 comments Laura wrote: "@ Geri; sometimes you like to read the BOM ; if you want to nominate a book before deadline!

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/......"

Sorry I missed your post! Usually I just wait to see what books win. And then decide if I want to read it. It’s more fun for me that way. Sometimes I get to read a book I never would have considered.

message 13: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2046 comments Welcome Chie!

I just started the book and will come back later to comment more. But I am listening to the audio and it is great! Some parts are like a movie with different voices and sound effects. I know you don’t usually listen to audio, Laura. But this would be a good one. Really enjoying the book so far!

Brooke | 1199 comments Geri wrote: "Welcome Chie!

I just started the book and will come back later to comment more. But I am listening to the audio and it is great! Some parts are like a movie with different voices and sound effects..."

Ooh - good to know! I have this one on audio and should be able to start it later today.

Laura | 9707 comments I read 3 chapters last night. Hoping to read more tonight! It was an interesting start.

message 16: by Geri (last edited Aug 07, 2018 12:34PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2046 comments WOW This book is so engrossing! Some chapters are dark and gruesome. But I love the cat and mouse game set up. I stopped at chapter 28. I had to make myself stop. LOL

Chapter 10 (view spoiler)

Chapter 18 (view spoiler)

Chapter 27 (view spoiler)

The book Flowers of Evil: A Selection by Charles Baudelaire (mentioned in chapter 9 or 10) is new to me. Have you heard of it, Laura, Brooke, Chie? It’s great how the author is able to incorporate it into the story.

Brooke | 1199 comments I haven't heard of that book, Geri. I've never really been into poetry, although the darker theme sounds interesting.

Brooke | 1199 comments I didn't make it far last night, but I am intrigued and can't wait to finish work today so I can get farther into the story!

Through part 1;
(view spoiler)

message 19: by Geri (last edited Aug 08, 2018 11:57AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2046 comments I read through Chapter 64. What a mind bending, twisty ride! LOL

Chapter 33 (view spoiler)

Chapter 46 (view spoiler)

Chapter 64 (view spoiler)

message 20: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2046 comments Brooke wrote: "I didn't make it far last night, but I am intrigued and can't wait to finish work today so I can get farther into the story!

Through part 1;
.."

Claire is an interesting character. From the beginning, I wasn’t sure how much I could trust her too. I still am not sure.

message 21: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2046 comments I am speeding through the book. So I’ll take a break today so I can do some task reading. That should give everyone a chance to catch up!

Brooke | 1199 comments I'm dying to read your spoilers, Geri!

Up to chapter 42
(view spoiler)

I'm still enjoying this one. The short chapters make it way too easy to keep going! I'll get another chunk read today and probably finish it tomorrow.

Brooke | 1199 comments Up through chapter 65

(view spoiler)

Laura | 9707 comments Brooke wrote: "I didn't make it far last night, but I am intrigued and can't wait to finish work today so I can get farther into the story!

Through part 1;
The mystery is interesting. All signs point to the hus..."

(view spoiler)

Laura | 9707 comments Geri wrote: "WOW This book is so engrossing! Some chapters are dark and gruesome. But I love the cat and mouse game set up. I stopped at chapter 28. I had to make myself stop. LOL

Chapter 10 [spoilers removed]..."

Nope, I hadn't heard of that book either. (view spoiler)

Laura | 9707 comments End of chapter 33
(view spoiler)Trying to catch up!

Brooke | 1199 comments Chapter 76

(view spoiler)

message 28: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2046 comments Finished. I really enjoyed this one! Chapters were way too short. Did they need to be that short? LOL Dying to know what you guys think of the ending!

message 29: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2046 comments Laura wrote: "End of chapter 33

."

Kathryn really niggled at me too. I never knew what to believe about her.

message 30: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2046 comments Brooke wrote: "Chapter 76

.."

I had the same reaction!

Brooke | 1199 comments I finished over lunch. I liked the audiobook, but there were times when I wish I had a print copy to go back and reference/check something. Especially in the last 10-20 chapters.

Regarding the ending: (view spoiler)

message 32: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2046 comments Brooke wrote: "I finished over lunch. I liked the audiobook, but there were times when I wish I had a print copy to go back and reference/check something. Especially in the last 10-20 chapters.

Regarding the end..."

Yes, it did require (view spoiler)

message 33: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2046 comments Hey, Laura. Have you finished the book? Or just too busy? I hate when real life gets in the way of reading!

Laura | 9707 comments Hi! Still working on it. I was away this weekend - early registeration for my son for college. I didn't get too much read last week. I'm hoping to finish it this week because I was enjoying it!

message 35: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2046 comments Laura wrote: "Hi! Still working on it. I was away this weekend - early registeration for my son for college. I didn't get too much read last week. I'm hoping to finish it this week because I was enjoying it!"

Exciting! Your son is off to college! Kids are back to school here too. I hope your son enjoys college, but not too much! I won’t mention any of the antics I got into when I went to college!

Brooke | 1199 comments Laura wrote: "Hi! Still working on it. I was away this weekend - early registeration for my son for college. I didn't get too much read last week. I'm hoping to finish it this week because I was enjoying it!"

I bet you have mixed emotions about your son going to college. I know my parents did. They were happy and proud that I was going but also sad that I was leaving home and becoming (more) independent. Good luck to him!!

message 37: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2046 comments Brooke and Laura, I was thinking about rereading a paranormal series I loved. Succubus Blues is book 1. Would either or both of you be interested? I don’t want to start until September, after TT challenge. We could try the first book and see if you like it. And then go from there. I loved Georgina and her romance with Seth!

Brooke | 1199 comments Geri wrote: "Brooke and Laura, I was thinking about rereading a paranormal series I loved. Succubus Blues is book 1. Would either or both of you be interested? I don’t want to start until Septembe..."

I wouldn't mind reading at least book 1 to see how it goes. And yes, after TT would be great. :-)

Laura | 9707 comments Geri wrote: "Laura wrote: "Hi! Still working on it. I was away this weekend - early registeration for my son for college. I didn't get too much read last week. I'm hoping to finish it this week because I was en..."

Ha! Lol, you best keep those antics to yourself. I suspect my imagination is good enough:-)

Yes, Brooke, lots of mixed feelings which you nailed down exactly. Even he has them; he is so nervous... but so excited at the same time. He will be too far away for weekend visits; which will be good for that independence!

Laura | 9707 comments Geri wrote: "Brooke and Laura, I was thinking about rereading a paranormal series I loved. Succubus Blues is book 1. Would either or both of you be interested? I don’t want to start until Septembe..."

I started the series and left at book 3 . I 'd re read the first few books again. I remember liking them. Shout out when you want to start. ( I 'd also prefer September!)
Yikes.. I've only read 5 books in August so far.

message 41: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2046 comments Laura wrote: "Geri wrote: "Brooke and Laura, I was thinking about rereading a paranormal series I loved. Succubus Blues is book 1. Would either or both of you be interested? I don’t want to start u..."

Great! Maybe this time, you’ll finish the series. I was so obsessed, I had to know how it ended. I’ve tried to find other paranormal series that I like as much. Alpha and Omega is the only one that comes close. I will be starting Mercy Thompson and The Graveyard Queen in September too.

Gosh, I don’t want to know how many books I have read this month! Too many! My chores, tv watching have suffered. LOL I’ve written down a “sane” reading schedule for September.

How did you like Circe? The book has had a long waiting list at my library for months. But I still have my eye on it.

Have either of you read Fatal Affair? I just heard about this series. And I’m curious if it is good.

Brooke | 1199 comments Geri wrote: "Have either of you read Fatal Affair? I just heard about this series. And I'm curious if it is any good."
I haven't.

I also haven't read any in the Mercy Thompson series. I do own the first book, though, and have been meaning to get to it. Maybe September will be the month. LOL

Laura | 9707 comments Geri wrote: "Laura wrote: "Geri wrote: "Brooke and Laura, I was thinking about rereading a paranormal series I loved. Succubus Blues is book 1. Would either or both of you be interested? I don’t w..."

The Mercy Thompson series and the Alpha & Omega series are some of my favorite series. Loved them! I thought they were both better than the Georgina Kincaid series.
The Graveyard series is good. I finished that this spring. The earlier books were better; imo.
Recommendations: The Others by Anne Bishop and the Harry Dresden files by Jim Butcher. (starting to hit a lot of my favorites!!)

Fatal Affair is so far away from the above genres but again its another favorite series and I would totally recommend it to everyone if you love romance and police procedural. Marie Force has this series nailed! Its hot!! Characters are amazing and just keep growing. This is my favorite series by Marie Force ( she has quite a few)

Here's another series I enjoy: In Death by J. D Robb- Nora Roberts alter ego. Romance/ police procedural/character growth/suspense

Teehehe and my last one!
Lee Child's Jack Reacher series. Its a toss up whether Jack or Harry Dreden is my favorite book boyfriend. Reacher is ex military and always finds trouble and a murder to solve.

I read a lot of series books! Sorry for the overload. Feel free to give me your favorite books or series : I will check them out.

Laura | 9707 comments Up to chapter 56
(view spoiler) Reading onward!

Laura | 9707 comments Brooke wrote: "I'm dying to read your spoilers, Geri!

Up to chapter 42
With the 3 month time jump at the start of part 2, I'm even more curious as to what Claire has been doing to earn money. Very fishy.

Patri..."

(view spoiler)

Brooke | 1199 comments I am up to book 5 (I think?) in the Harry Dresden series. It is definitely getting better, and I live how it is all action right from page 1. I have a few of the In Death books (#1 and a few random ones) and as usual, I just haven’t gotten to them yet. Ugh. Has anyone invented a way to stop time yet so I can read more? 😜

Laura, I’ve actually read a few Jack Reacher books too. They are fun, kind of like James Bond or Mission Impossible movies: not a lot of substance but very entertaining.

Laura | 9707 comments The Jack Reacher books all follow the same formula. I find them very entertaining. The movie based on one of the books was horrible. Reacher is over 6".... casting was little ole Tommy Cruise. Jeez he would need stilts. Dwayne Johnson would have been a better casting choice. I'm a sucker for a good police procedural!!

Laura | 9707 comments Keep reading your Dresden series. Its awesome! That's a series I'll pick up again.
Lol and you need to fit the In Death books in somehow?? Teehee!

Brooke | 1199 comments Laura wrote: "The Jack Reacher books all follow the same formula. I find them very entertaining. The movie based on one of the books was horrible. Reacher is over 6".... casting was little ole Tommy Cruise. Jeez..."

I agree about the casting. I was confused by Tom Cruise getting the part just because I know how Jack Reacher is described in the books. I'm sure he got the part because of his stunt work, although the movie was a flop. (I never saw it because of the casting...)

I'll definitely continue the Dresden series, maybe reading 1-2 books a month until I catch up. No idea how I am ever going to fit in the In Death series. I usually like to start a series at the beginning and read in order for the character development, but isn't the series at book 45 or something now?? I've heard the earlier books don't stand the test of time, but I'll read them anyway.

I love that I've discovered new series from GR and all the buddy reads we've done. I used to be a fairly predictable reader, sticking mostly to historic fiction around WWII and psychological thrillers, with an occasional biography or humorous essay collection thrown in from time to time. You ladies have definitely broadened my horizons! I still consider thrillers and WWII fiction my favorites, but I am way more open now to trying something new. So thank you!!! :-)

message 50: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2046 comments Laura wrote: "Geri wrote: "Laura wrote: "Geri wrote: "Brooke and Laura, I was thinking about rereading a paranormal series I loved. Succubus Blues is book 1. Would either or both of you be interest..."

Oh good! I will definitely read the Marie Force series now.

I tried The Others series. Only read the first 2 books. I found it a little silly at times. Does it get better?

I read the first few In Death. But like Brooke, I can’t keep up with all the new books. Do you recommend reading them all in order?

I haven’t read Dresden or Reacher. I’ll have to add them. I usually go for geeky-ish guys. Probably one reason I got so into Georgina Kincaid. My husband is a bit geeky. But not as much as Seth. LOL

I decided to add a bookshelf on goodreads to help me keep track of series. I usually read a book or two and then forget about them. So maybe this will help!

Have you tried Lady Sherlock series A Study in Scarlet Women? It’s a historical mystery series with a twist. Charlotte Holmes solves mysteries under Sherlock Holmes’ name.

I really like the Bannerless saga Bannerless and Detective Lottie Parker series The Missing Ones too.

For romance, I am really loving pretty much anything by Penny Reid these days. Her Winston brothers series is good. Book 1 is good. But book 2 is even better. And I started book 3 and it’s looking like it will be just as good as book 2.

« previous 1