The Blitzed Book Club discussion

Hyperion (Hyperion Cantos, #1)
This topic is about Hyperion
Blitzed Books > Discussion questions! August 2018

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Karri (karribooklover) | 11 comments Mod
1.Describe the first chapter in one word. Did it draw you in or make you want to put it down?

2. Who was your favorite character?

3. Who would you marry, drink with, and kill?
Marry-
Drink with-
Kill-

4. At which point of the book were you most engaged? Felt dragged on?

5. If you were in charge of casting the movie version of this book, who would you cast as each character?

6. If you had to trade placed with any character in the book, who would you choose and why? Which character would your personality match with?

7. If you could write one more chapter after the ending, what would you write?

8. Describe how you felt about the ending of the book in one word.

9.What character do you think would enjoy this drink? (We will reveal the chosen drink during the podcast but we would love your drink suggestions! Please let us know how the drink you picked related to the book!)

Karri, Ava, and Phila will all have their own question for the group which they will reveal on the podcast! If you come up with a good question of your own we may discuss it during the podcast!

Hyperion by Dan Simmons is the August book! Podcast for this books comes out today! Listen to know how we answered the discussion questions! September 1st podcast book is The Museum of Extraordinary Things by Alice Hoffman. We will begin readying it soon so go pick up your copy!

1.Describe the first chapter in one word. Did it draw you in or make you want to put it down? Intrigued definitely wanted to keep reading.

2.Who was your favorite character? Brawne Lamia- I think we already know I have a strong desire to be a secret agent. Brawne reminds me a secret agent!

3.Who would you marry, drink with, and kill?
Marry-Johnny-cybrid-handsome, honest
Drink with- Rachel-adult version
Kill-The poet Martin Silenus. So annoying.

4.At which point of the book were you most engaged? Felt dragged on? Most engaged during The Scholar Sol Weintraub’s story-it tugged at my heart strings, The Poet Martin Silenus’s story dragged on because I really despised that character.

5.If you were in charge of casting the movie version of this book, who would you cast as each character? (1 character)
Martin Silenus- Gary Oldmen

6.If you had to trade placed with any character in the book, who would you choose and why? Which character would your personality match with?
Brawne Lamia-the whole badass woman thing, like a secret agent!
Original Rachel-smart, goal oriented, independent to a fault (being alone in the Sphinx)

7.If you could write one more chapter after the ending, what would you write?
Well there is a second book The Fall of Hyperion that I’m sure explores what happens to the pilgrims once they enter the Time Tombs.

8.Describe how you felt about the ending of the book in one word.
More!

9.What character do you think would enjoy this drink? They all are in situation where they would all enjoy this drink.

Karri’s question. How do you think the Shriek is connected to the cruciform? Listen to the podcast to find out our answers!

message 4: by Phila (new) - added it

Phila | 14 comments Mod
1. Exciting, I want to know more!
2. The Poet; Martin Silenus
3. I was engaged most during the Priests (Hoyt) tale
4. Hugh Laurie as Martin Silenus
5. Trade Places with Siri.
6. Maybe Martin, Bec I am Loud and Boisterous, and speak my mind!
7. I would write something talking about Masteen
8. I am just Excited to read the next book!!!
9. Martin most definitely

My Question: WHO (the Heck) is Masteen?

Phila wrote: "1. Exciting, I want to know more!
6. Maybe Martin, Bec I..."

I still can't believe The Poet was your favorite character!

message 6: by Phila (new) - added it

Phila | 14 comments Mod
But No Seriously I really found his Character interesting, remember there is a fine line between Love and Hate!

message 7: by Brian (last edited Oct 06, 2019 12:07PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Brian Jackson | 2 comments 1.Describe the first chapter in one word. Did it draw you in or make you want to put it down? I was drawn in, despite being completely confused with the world-building. I knew there had to be explanations on the way if this was a Hugo winner, so I went in head first!

2. Who was your favorite character? In the 7 pilgrims sequences (the over-arc), I liked Silenus - he was well fleshed out and obnoxious. However, within each of the pilgrims' tales - short stories within themselves - I was drawn to Kassad.

3. Who would you marry, drink with, and kill?
Marry- whoa. That's commitment. But I, naturally, was lustfully drawn to Kassad's Mystery/Moneta/Mnemosyne. I'd want to keep that close until I found out...then I either divorce or start really getting into BDSM.
Drink with- Silenus and Kassad together, but not separate.
Kill- nah, not feeling the death of anyone here.

4. At which point of the book were you most engaged? Felt dragged on? Each tale was engaging yet each one had it's drag-on moments. I wouldn't change it though, because those moments seemed to provide some necessary information to flesh out the greater story.

5. If you were in charge of casting the movie version of this book, who would you cast as each character? Ooh. These are fun and deserve far more time than I dare to give, but here are some quick thoughts:
Father Hoyt (The Priest): Ewan McGregor
Col Kassad (The Soldier): Maybe a younger Tony Shalhoub
Martin Silenus (The Poet): John Travolta
Sol Weintraub (The Scholar): An older David Schwimmer
Brawne Lamia (The Detective): Gina Carano
The Consul: Scoot McNairy
Met Hesteen (The Templar): Lee Pace
Mystery/Moneta: Angelina Jolie
Siri: Natalie Portman
Johnny: Chris Evans

6. If you had to trade places with any character in the book, who would you choose and why? Which character would your personality match with? I connect with Kassad but I wouldn't want to trade places with him. His is a tragic love story.

7. If you could write one more chapter after the ending, what would you write? You couldn't write just one more chapter of Hyperion. As much as I hate to say it, you either go another hundred fifty pages or you write a sequel.

8. Describe how you felt about the ending of the book in one word. Flabbergasted.

9.What character do you think would enjoy this drink? (We will reveal the chosen drink during the podcast but we would love your drink suggestions! Please let us know how the drink you picked related to the book!) I kept imagining Silenus drinking bottles of German Beerenauslese. Yum.

My burning question: What just happened in the sequence where BB get's brain-fried and Brawne goes digital for a time? I thought I was BB at the end of that.

Brian Jackson | 2 comments Phila wrote: "1. Exciting, I want to know more!
6. Maybe Martin, Bec I..."

I retract my "one more chapter" comment after reading yours. Yes, who the heck is Met Hesteen? One chapter, please. :)