Aussie Lovers of Crime/Mystery/Thriller/Suspense discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > Nominations open for September 2018 group read

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

Brenda | 9200 comments Mod
Now that our read for August has been decided, it's time for everyone to nominate a book for our September 2018 read.

We've changed the criteria for the monthly reads that we had for 2017. For our 2018 monthly reads we will do a different country per month. For September's read we are looking for books set in SWEDEN

So - nominate a crime/mystery/thriller/suspense book set in Sweden for our September read. True crime or cosy mysteries are included in this :)

NOTE: Only the beginning of a series (if a series) please :)

This thread will be open until 10th August, then our nominations will go to the vote:) Good luck and happy choosing!

Authors and publishers, please don't nominate your own work!

message 2: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

I'd like to nominate Wolf Winter by Cecilia Ekbäck Wolf Winter by Cecilia Ekbäck

message 3: by Phrynne, Mystery lover! (new)

message 4: by Carolyn (last edited Jul 31, 2018 05:43PM) (new)

Carolyn | 1321 comments I nominate the first in what looks like a good series, Roseanna (Martin Beck #1) by Maj Sjöwall Roseanna by Maj Sjöwall and Per Wahlöö

message 5: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (last edited Jul 31, 2018 06:02PM) (new)

Sounds good Carolyn!

message 6: by Sonya (new)

Sonya Bates | 7 comments Perhaps many of you have already read this, but I would like to nominate Blackwater by Kerstin Ekman.

message 7: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

Sonya wrote: "Perhaps many of you have already read this, but I would like to nominate Blackwater by Kerstin Ekman."

Blackwater by Kerstin Ekman

Thanks Sonya :)

message 8: by Svetlana (new)

Svetlana Tishchenko | 11 comments Phrynne wrote: "The Ice Princess (Patrik Hedström, #1) by Camilla Läckberg The Ice Princess by Camilla Läckberg"
I read this one. A very good book

message 9: by Peter (new)

Peter Stankovic | 109 comments I'll nominate The Hypnotist by Lars Kepler

message 10: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

Peter wrote: "I'll nominate The Hypnotist by Lars Kepler"

The Hypnotist by Lars Kepler

message 11: by Cameron (new)

Cameron Wiggins Brenda wrote: "Peter wrote: "I'll nominate The Hypnotist by Lars Kepler"

The Hypnotist by Lars Kepler"

Aye, aye for a second on this one. It sounds like a very good thriller!

message 12: by Heather (last edited Jul 31, 2018 11:29PM) (new)

Heather | 39 comments I nominate Pen 33 by Borge Hellstrom Anders Roslund the book is also known as "The Beast"

message 13: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

That copy you've linked shows publication as Nov 16th 2018 Heather - but I did see it's been previously published some years ago. So that's fine :)

message 14: by Kylie H (new)

Kylie H | 786 comments I would like to nominate Faceless Killers (Kurt Wallander, #1) by Henning Mankell Faceless Killers by Henning Mankell.

This is the first book in the Wallander series.

message 16: by Heather (new)

Heather | 39 comments Brenda wrote: "That copy you've linked shows publication as Nov 16th 2018 Heather - but I did see it's been previously published some years ago. So that's fine :)"

It just didn't search well. If you look at Anders Roslund it brings up the beast but I could not find it when I tried to link it here. but if you try and buy the book then it sells as Pen 33

message 17: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

Not a problem Heather :)

message 18: by Phrynne, Mystery lover! (new)

Phrynne | 3485 comments Mod
Some great books being suggested! I could read any of them:)

message 19: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

There sure are lots!

message 20: by Kylie H (new)

Kylie H | 786 comments I always find this SO exciting! Can't wait to find out which of these books it will be be, there are so many exciting possibilities.

Lee at ReadWriteWish (leeatreadwritewish) | 190 comments I second the first Wallander book. I thought maybe everyone here had already read it though!

message 22: by Cameron (new)

Cameron Wiggins Icewineanne wrote: "Detective Inspector Huss (Inspector Huss #1) by Helene Tursten Detective Inspector Huss by Helene Tursten"

Nice. I forgot about Tursten and DI Huss.

message 23: by Cameron (new)

Cameron Wiggins Kylie wrote: "I would like to nominate Faceless Killers (Kurt Wallander, #1) by Henning Mankell Faceless Killers by Henning Mankell.

This is the first book in the Wallander series."

Oh boy. I love Mankell's Wallander series, too, at least the ones that I have read. So many good books here ...

message 24: by Kylie (new)

Kylie D | 347 comments Phrynne wrote: "The Ice Princess (Patrik Hedström, #1) by Camilla Läckberg The Ice Princess by Camilla Läckberg"

I really enjoyed this book too :)

I'd like to nominate The Darkest Day by Håkan Nesser The Darkest Day (The Barbarotti Series Book 1) by Håkan Nesser

message 25: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Lee wrote: "I second the first Wallander book. I thought maybe everyone here had already read it though!"

I haven’t read any in fact I haven’t read any of these authors, Sweden cool 😎

message 26: by Kerri_M (new)

Kerri_M | 668 comments Some good books nominated, and not a cosy among them. It occurs to me I have never read a Scandinavian cosy - perhaps they don't exist!

Both books I would have nominated are already in the running, so I don't have any other suggestions this month.

message 27: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

Perhaps you should set yourself a goal Kerri and find one of those cosies :) And of course, let us know ;)

message 28: by Kerri_M (new)

Kerri_M | 668 comments Now that would be a challenge Brenda! I will see what I can do :)

message 29: by Kylie H (new)

Kylie H | 786 comments Kerri_M wrote: "Some good books nominated, and not a cosy among them. It occurs to me I have never read a Scandinavian cosy - perhaps they don't exist!

Both books I would have nominated are already in the running..."

Pardon my ignorance but what is a cosy mystery?

message 30: by Kerri_M (last edited Aug 02, 2018 04:31AM) (new)

Kerri_M | 668 comments Oooh .. like an English village mystery filled with quaint characters, maybe some humour, and no grimness and gore.

The opposite of scandi-noir really :)

message 31: by Kylie H (new)

Kylie H | 786 comments Kerri_M wrote: "Oooh .. like an English village mystery filled with quaint characters, maybe some humour, and no grimness and gore.

The opposite of scandi-noir really :)"

Thanks Kerri, I am now picturing Angela Landsbury in "Murder She Wrote"! ☺

message 32: by Kerri_M (new)

Kerri_M | 668 comments You got it Kylie!

message 33: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Kylie wrote: "Kerri_M wrote: "Oooh .. like an English village mystery filled with quaint characters, maybe some humour, and no grimness and gore.

The opposite of scandi-noir really :)"

Thanks Kerri, I am now p..."

There are a lot of cozy mysteries out there a whole list on goodreads. Check out

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/3...

And also

https://www.cozy-mystery.com

message 34: by Kylie H (new)

Kylie H | 786 comments Thanks Joanne, I have read the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series, I will check out the Hannah Swensen series it looks interesting.

message 35: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

Cosy mysteries are something nice and light after the heaviness of blood and gore Kylie :) Some are great, some not so good. But I have a couple of favourite authors who write cosies - Sally Berneathy and her Death by Chocolate series, and Nancy Haddock and her Silver Six Crafting Mystery series :)

message 36: by Kylie H (new)

Kylie H | 786 comments Thanks everyone, I am learning so much since joining this group. Brenda, I will note those authors. I am currently reading a light mystery by Karen MacInerney, I had no idea this was a particular genre, or sub-class, I am not sure what the correct term is, but it is sometimes nice to have an 'antidote' to the gruesome & graphic novels that are out there.

message 37: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

Totally right Kylie - sometimes we just need "light"!!!

message 38: by Cameron (new)

Cameron Wiggins Brenda wrote: "Perhaps you should set yourself a goal Kerri and find one of those cosies :) And of course, let us know ;)"

Ha. No doubt, Brenda. Good one. There are some good ones out there, Kerri, but a cozy cuddle-by-the-fire-with-a-cuppa? That may be a tough order.

message 39: by Cameron (new)

Cameron Wiggins Icewineanne wrote: "Detective Inspector Huss (Inspector Huss #1) by Helene Tursten Detective Inspector Huss by Helene Tursten"

Brenda. Can one and more than one book? If so, I really would like to 2nd Detective Inspector Huss by Helene Tursten Detective Inspector Huss by Helene Tursten .
I believe that this author and book really belong on this list for choice by our group. Just IMHO.

message 40: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

If you mean "add" Cameron, no only one nomination each. But with Anne having already done that one, all you have to do is vote when the polls are set up :)

message 41: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) | 438 comments I like to nominate

A Death in Sweden by Kevin Wignall

message 42: by Cameron (new)

Cameron Wiggins Jenny wrote: "I like to nominate

A Death in Sweden by Kevin Wignall"

Wow, Jenny, yet another good choice! Man this genre is stacked.

message 43: by Kerri_M (new)

Kerri_M | 668 comments Still looking for a Swedish cozy! Found Finnish, Danish and Norwegian.. but no Swede so far 😢

message 44: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

Well I didn't know there were those others so that's a good start Kerri!

message 45: by Joanne (new)

Joanne I had a friend do some research for me on Swedish cozy mystery and she could only find this

https://www.amazon.com/Stockholm-Cast...

message 46: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

Thanks Joanne - one 5 star rating on Amazon and several varied ratings on Goodreads :)

message 47: by Joanne (last edited Aug 04, 2018 09:46PM) (new)

Joanne I wanted to nominate this one . Now I want to unnominate
[bookcover:The Little Old Lady Who Broke All the Rules|29372518.

It sounded good but the reviews are terrible.

Sorry folks

message 48: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

lol!

message 49: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

Polls are open for voting for our September read :)

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.