Reading the Detectives discussion

Group reads > October 2018 group read - winner!

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Judy (new)

Judy (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejudyg) | 8409 comments Mod
It's time to nominate for our October group read.

You are invited to nominate books which were written in the Golden Age or slightly later, or those which were written later but are set in the era.

Just one nomination per group member, please. Also, only one book by any individual writer can be nominated per month.

Happy nominating!

message 2: by Jill (new)

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 1864 comments I would like to nominate the second of the Dr Constantine
books Death in the Dentist's Chair by Molly Thynne

Constantine reflected on the various means dentists have at their disposal, should they wish to silence their patients ...

Mr Humphrey Davenport, society dentist, has an embarrassing problem - he has managed to get locked out of his own surgery. And to make matters worse, Mrs Charles Miller is locked inside, minus her false teeth. When the door is finally opened, the patient is found with her throat cut.

Dr. Constantine, a fellow patient at the clinic, is a witness to the gruesome discovery. He lends his chess player's brain to solving a locked room mystery with a difference, ably assisted by Detective-Inspector Arkwright. Was the murderer the theatrical Mrs Vallon? Or little Mr Cattistick, who recognized the fortune in jewels around the dead woman's neck? Or perhaps it was Sir Richard Pomfrey, the subject of an unusually venomous look from Mrs Miller shortly before her demise?

message 3: by Judy (new)

Good nomination, Jill, I'd like to read Death in the Dentist's Chair- especially as I've just had my check-up so it is over for a while!

I was wondering if I'd already read it, but I must have just read the first chapter at the end of the previous book, something which often confuses me into thinking I might have read something!

message 4: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1292 comments The Plumley Inheritance by Christopher Bush, originally published in 1926.

When the eccentric magnate Henry Plumley shockingly collapses and dies, a great adventure begins for Ludovic Travers, the dead man’s secretary, and his comrade Geoffrey Wrentham – a romp with not only mystery and mischief in the offing but murder too.

message 5: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 2549 comments Mod
Thanks for the 2nd Molly Thynne nomination as I own it and really intended to continue the series. That was so very long ago!

message 6: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 383 comments I've also got the Molly Thynne one. I've looked at it frequently, but being one having horrific memories of experiences in the dental chair, and who almost has to be sedated for a regular check-up, I've never got brave enough to read it! :)

message 7: by Susan (new)

Susan | 9414 comments Mod
I think I nominated the Plumley book before, so I would love to read that. Also, keen on the Molly Thynne, so win-win, so far.

I will go for something a little different this month:

The Roman Hat Mystery The Roman Hat Mystery by Ellery Queen

A murder in a crowded theater leaves a pack of suspects, but only one clue.

Despite the dismal Broadway season, Gunplay continues to draw crowds. A gangland spectacle, it's packed to the gills with action, explosions, and gunfire. In fact, Gunplay is so loud that no one notices the killing of Monte Field. In a sold-out theater, Field is found dead partway through the second act, surrounded by empty seats. The police hold the crowd and call for the one man who can untangle this daring murder: Inspector Richard Queen.

With the help of his son Ellery, a bibliophile and novelist whose imagination can solve any crime, the Inspector attacks this seemingly impenetrable mystery. Anyone in the theater could have killed the unscrupulous lawyer, and several had the motive. Only Ellery Queen, in his debut novel, can decipher the clue of the dead man's missing top hat.

message 8: by LovesMysteries (last edited Aug 03, 2018 06:06PM) (new)

LovesMysteries  | 234 comments I'm going to nominate the Hercule Poirot mystery by Agatha Christie used with the popular ol' nursery rhyme: Hickory Dickory Dock Hickory Dickory Dock by Agatha Christie . It begins with a small problem -- Poirot's secretary Miss Lemon making 3 simple mistakes in a letter -- spiraling to a series of murders to a student hostel on . . . . .what else? Hickory Lane of course!

message 10: by Judy (new)

Some great nominations!

I'll add to the mix - we have never read any Sherlock Holmes as a group, so I'll suggest this classic short novel, which I think would be fun for Halloween:

The Hound of the Baskervilles The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle

message 11: by Judy (new)

Any more nominations? The poll will go up at the weekend.

message 12: by Susan (new)

I have only read one Holmes, ever, so that might be a way to make me try another one, Judy :)

Best of all, some great nominations, yet again.

message 13: by Judy (new)

I read all of Holmes a couple of years ago now, I think it was, and feel it is time to revisit one or two!

message 14: by Judy (new)

The poll is now open - cast your votes now!

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 15: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Petkus | 43 comments Since George Bellairs books on sale, I nominate Death in Dark Glasses. Just finished and enjoyed it.

message 16: by Judy (last edited Aug 12, 2018 11:47PM) (new)

Sorry Lorraine, nominations have already closed and voting has started.

Glad to hear you are enjoying Bellairs though - I would like to read more by him.

message 17: by Judy (new)

Death in the Dentist's Chair is just ahead of The Hound of the Baskervilles in early voting, but a long way to go yet!

message 18: by Sandy (new)

Dentist Chair is still slightly ahead with the others strung along behind ... one vote between each.

Lorraine, I've never heard of Bellairs' Inspector Littlejohn but there sure are a lot of them.

message 19: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Petkus | 43 comments Sandy, I never did either until I joined Crime Classics Review Club

message 20: by Judy (new)

Death in the Dentist's Chair is well ahead, with voting due to finish at the weekend.

message 21: by Susan (new)

I think I downloaded it ages ago, so I am ready for that one :)

message 22: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1292 comments I did, too. But it is only $2.99.

message 23: by Judy (new)

We have a winner! Our October group read will be Death in the Dentist's Chair by Molly Thynne. Death in the Dentist's Chair by Molly Thynne

Full results:

Death in the Dentist's Chair 11 votes, 36.7%
The Roman Hat Mystery (Ellery Queen Detective, #1) 5 votes, 16.7%
The Hound of the Baskervilles 5 votes, 16.7%
Hickory Dickory Dock (Hercule Poirot, #32) 5 votes, 16.7%
The Plumley Inheritance (Ludovic Travers, #1) 4 votes, 13.3%

message 24: by ShanDizzy (new)

ShanDizzy  (sdizzy) | 152 comments Yay! I have access to that one thru amazon prime.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 591 comments I'm looking forward to this one - even though I have a dentist appointment on Tuesday!

message 26: by Susan (new)

Carol ꧁꧂ wrote: "I'm looking forward to this one - even though I have a dentist appointment on Tuesday!"

:)

message 27: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Petkus | 43 comments Happy with selection, great group

message 28: by Judy (new)

Glad that people are looking forward to this - I have it waiting on my Kindle!

I think I've knocked out part of a filling so will be paying a visit too, Carol!

message 29: by Judy (new)

Lorraine wrote: "Happy with selection, great group"

Glad you are enjoying the group, Lorraine. :)

message 30: by Sandy (new)

We may want to complete all pending dental work in September.

message 31: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1292 comments Wednesday is my next appointment!