The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Important Items > Nominations now open for September 2018 Group Read: Crime in a cold climate

Comments Showing 1-50 of 80 (80 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (last edited Jul 31, 2018 07:37AM) (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 9161 comments Mod
I don't know about anyone else, but we have been having an unusually hot summer here, making me want to go somewhere cold. This month we'll be nominating mystery, crime, thriller books set in cold climates.

To give you an idea of what's out there in this category, someone at LibraryThing has so thoughtfully organized a list of books at message #93. You'll have to scroll down, but it's well worth it.

https://www.librarything.com/topic/93157

as always,

1. do NOT nominate your own book
2. do NOT have your publicist nominate your book
3. if you nominate the winning book, you are the moderator for the discussion. If you don't want to lead the discussion, don't nominate a book.

Other than that, have fun with your choices!

message 2: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Zaccaria I would like to nominate Smilla's Sense of Snow.

She thinks more highly of snow and ice than she does of love. She lives in a world of numbers, science and memories--a dark, exotic stranger in a strange land. And now Smilla Jaspersen is convinced she has uncovered a shattering crime...

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 554 comments I would like to nominate Dissolution by C.J. Sansom.

This is a historical mystery, set in 1537 England, at Scarnsea monastery, where it is bitterly cold. Matthew Shardlake, an attorney working for Thomas Cromwell, is sent there to dissolve the monastery - and to discover who murdered his predecessor.

message 4: by Bill (new)

Bill An interesting category, Nancy. I'll nominate A Cold Day for Murder the first Kate Shugak mystery by Dana Stabenow; set in northern Alaska.

message 5: by Suzy (new)

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 660 comments I will nominate Jar City by Icelandic author Arnaldur Indriðason. I've read book three and have been threatening to read this one, the first at least in the series that has been translated.

message 6: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Suzy wrote: "I will nominate Jar City by Icelandic author Arnaldur Indriðason. I've read book three and have been threatening to read this one, the first at least in the series th..."

The group's already read that one, Suzy. How about another Indridason?

message 7: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) Nancy wrote: "To give you an idea of what's out there in this category, someone at LibraryThing has so thoughtfully organized a list of books at message #93. You'll have to scroll down, but it's well worth it.

https://www.librarything.com/topic/93157

W-O-W! That is an awesome list! I love cold climates, although the northernmost I've been is Edinburgh, Scotland - not so far North, admittedly. But I want to visit all the Northern countries out there (if only it were possible...). I will not be nominating because September is going to be a busy month for me, but I'm looking forward to browsing through everyone's nominations, and I hope I'll find enough time to join you in the group read!

message 8: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Nancy wrote: "I don't know about anyone else, but we have been having an unusually hot summer here, making me want to go somewhere cold. This month we'll be nominating mystery, crime, thriller books set in cold ..."

What a fabulous list, Nancy. It has been horrendously hot and humid this summer.

message 9: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments I have a few, in mind, but can't find the Louise Penny; however, Bill's nomination is already on my TBR list, but I would need time to order it from the Barnes and Noble market place.

message 10: by Suzy (new)

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 660 comments I love the list too, Nancy! My nomination isn't on the list, but I think the Shetland Islands qualify for cold climate and the first (my nomination) Raven Black takes place in the winter. Hoping the group hasn't read it!

message 11: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Suzy wrote: "I love the list too, Nancy! My nomination isn't on the list, but I think the Shetland Islands qualify for cold climate and the first (my nomination) Raven Black takes place in the win..."

That's a go, Suzy.

message 12: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Marina (Sonnenbarke) wrote: "Nancy wrote: "To give you an idea of what's out there in this category, someone at LibraryThing has so thoughtfully organized a list of books at message #93. You'll have to scroll down, but it's we..."

It is a nice list, isn't it? Someone has some time on their hands.

message 13: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Suzy wrote: "I love the list too, Nancy! My nomination isn't on the list, but I think the Shetland Islands qualify for cold climate and the first (my nomination) Raven Black takes place in the win..."

I was going to nominate that, too~!

message 14: by ALLEN (new)

ALLEN | 4532 comments Jamie wrote: "I would like to nominate Smilla's Sense of Snow.

She thinks more highly of snow and ice than she does of love. She lives in a world of numbers, science and memories--a dark, exotic s..."

I was going to recommend something else Scandinavian, but I am quite taken by Jamie's recommendation of Smilla's Sense of Snow. So I second that emotion!

message 15: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Wow, what a cool (pun intended) idea for a theme. I like it very much. If I am allowed to nominate twice in a month, I would like to nominate Forty Days Without Shadow by Olivier Truc. It sounds incredibly intriguing and like a truly interesting read!

message 16: by Vanessa (last edited Jul 31, 2018 08:03PM) (new)

Vanessa (nesshawk) | 4 comments Sweating in bed right now trying to sleep... so LOVE this idea! I would like to nominate Forty Words for Sorrow by Giles Blunt. An old favorite I would love to revisit! Hey, could count as a “reread” for Twelve Tower challenge!

message 17: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (last edited Aug 06, 2018 02:27PM) (new)

recapping:

1. Smilla's Sense of Snow, by Peter Høeg -- Jamie
2 Dissolution, by CJ Sansom -- Susanna CBG
3. A Cold Day For Murder, by Dana Stabenow -- Bill
4. Forty Days Without Shadow1460783], by Olivia Truc -- Dlyn
5. Raven Black, by Ann Cleeves -- Suzy
6. Forty Words for Sorrow, by Giles Blunt -- Vanessa
7. White Heat, by MJ McGrath -- Gisela
8. The Hummingbird, by Kati Hiekkapelto -- Jess
9. A Fatal Grace, by Louise Penny -- NancyJ
10. No One Thinks of Greenland, by John Griesemer -- Carolyn
11. The Ice Beneath Her, by Camilla Grebe -- Tone

message 18: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Dlyn wrote: "Wow, what a cool (pun intended) idea for a theme. I like it very much. If I am allowed to nominate twice in a month, I would like to nominate Forty Days Without Shadow by [author:Ol..."

Can't really get much colder than Lapland, can we? LOL

message 19: by ALLEN (new)

ALLEN | 4532 comments They look like great choices. I was going to suggest Piers Paul Read's Alive: The Story of the Andes Survivors but it wasn't really a mystery . . . the survivors admitted what they had done as soon as they hit the first ranch on the way down.

message 20: by Gisela (new)

Gisela Hafezparast | 368 comments How about White Heat a story from the Arctic Circle. Should cool our blood considerably.

message 21: by Jess (new)

Jess Penhallow | 39 comments I would like to nominate The Hummingbird by Kati Hiekkapelto. It's the first book in a great crime series set in Finland.

message 22: by NancyJ (last edited Aug 03, 2018 08:30PM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) Brilliant idea!! Last summer I started reading Louise Penny's series. As I was reading all the details of how cold it was in Quebec in the winter, I felt 100% immersed in the atmosphere of the book and I felt cold. When I left the bedroom, I was annoyed to find the back door open, until I looked out and saw all that green. Then I was totally confused that it was summer. I think I was actually reading the book below at the time:

Anyway, our group really seemed to like Still Life by Louise Penny, maybe someone would want to read the second book: A Fatal Grace (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #2) by Louise Penny

message 23: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments I would.

message 24: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

NancyJ wrote: "Brilliant idea!! Last summer I started reading Louise Penny's series. As I was reading all the details of how cold it was in Quebec in the winter, I felt 100% immersed in the atmosphere of the book..."

Actually, the group read the first book in April of this year. Why don't we give some of the other authors listed here a chance this time. If enough people are interested, perhaps you might want to organize a buddy read.

message 25: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (last edited Aug 04, 2018 06:25AM) (new)

belay that post. I just noticed we'd read a book by Ann Cleeves, Suzy's choice, in March. I'll allow it, NancyJ. But to all: wouldn't people much rather read someone we haven't read yet? The point with these "theme" ideas is to introduce a wider range of books and authors rather than come back again and again to the same writers.

message 26: by ALLEN (new)

ALLEN | 4532 comments How many more book nominations do you need for the poll?

message 27: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

No set number, really. I'll close nominations Monday and then set up the poll to run from the 8th through the 13th.

message 28: by ALLEN (last edited Aug 04, 2018 08:51AM) (new)

ALLEN | 4532 comments One suggestion, if you need another, would be
The Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy.
It isn't individually "Noir," more like political Noir,
but it is one of Clancy's best novels -- and definitely
in a cold climate. Made into a fine movie, too!

The Hunt for Red October Poster

Here's an image of the new the paperback tie-in to the "Jack
Ryan" series for television, with John Krasinski in the title role:
(courtesy Amazon -- this pbk. goes on sale August 7)

message 29: by Lena (new)

Lena Red October is fantastic. I’ll second that and Smilas Sense of Snow.

message 30: by MissLemon (last edited Aug 06, 2018 03:04AM) (new)

MissLemon | 254 comments No One Thinks of Greenland

I read this last year and I'd say it fits the criteria, as I'd class it as a mystery/thriller, although it's shelved as historical/war/literary fiction.

message 31: by ALLEN (new)

ALLEN | 4532 comments Carolyn wrote: "No One Thinks of Greenland

I read this last year and I'd say it fits the criteria, as I'd class it as a mystery/thriller, although it's shelved as historical/war/literary fiction."

Is it a good book, Carolyn? Did you enjoy it?

message 32: by MissLemon (new)

MissLemon | 254 comments ALLEN wrote: "Carolyn wrote: "No One Thinks of Greenland

I read this last year and I'd say it fits the criteria, as I'd class it as a mystery/thriller, although it's shelved as historical/war/lit..."

Yes, I did or I wouldn't be suggesting it as a group read! I felt like it was an original plot, I've certainly not read anything like it before. I won't have time to read it again if it gets voted through but happy to skim it to refresh my memory :-)

message 33: by ALLEN (new)

ALLEN | 4532 comments Carolyn wrote: "ALLEN wrote: "Carolyn wrote: "No One Thinks of Greenland

I read this last year and I'd say it fits the criteria, as I'd class it as a mystery/thriller, although it's shelved as hist..."

Thanks, Carolyn! I hope it gets slated for the poll.

message 34: by Tone (new)

Tone  | 299 comments I would like to nominate The Ice Beneath Her by Camilla Grebe. It is set in a wintry Stockholm, Sweden.

message 35: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (last edited Aug 06, 2018 02:29PM) (new)

ALLEN wrote: "One suggestion, if you need another, would be
but it is one of Clancy's best novels -..."

If you can please hang on until November with this one, I've already planned to do mystery/crime/thriller books set during the Cold War. This book would be way better then. I'll remind you.

message 36: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Okay everyone, thanks for playing and I'll put the poll up Wednesday to run through the 13th.

NOMINATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED.

message 37: by ALLEN (last edited Aug 06, 2018 02:38PM) (new)

ALLEN | 4532 comments Nancy wrote: "ALLEN wrote: "One suggestion, if you need another, would be
but it is one of Clancy's..."

Thanks, Nancy! A cold-climate novel set in the cold war! I'll wait happily. - a.s.

message 38: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

ALLEN wrote: "Nancy wrote: "ALLEN wrote: "One suggestion, if you need another, would be
but it is o..."

ALLEN wrote: "Nancy wrote: "ALLEN wrote: "One suggestion, if you need another, would be
but it is o..."

You're a peach! ☺️

message 39: by ALLEN (last edited Aug 06, 2018 02:56PM) (new)

ALLEN | 4532 comments : "ALLEN wrote: One suggestion, if you need another, would be
The Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy. It isn't individually "Noir," more like political Noir...

Nancy wrote: If you can please hang on until November with this one [... ]
You're a peach!"

Shh! Don't tell anyone. Image result for wink emoticon

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 547 comments Nancy wrote: "If you can please hang on until November with this one, I've already planned to do mystery/crime/thriller books set during the Cold War."

That sounds terrific!

message 41: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

The poll is now up and live. You can get there by clicking the polls link in the top right-hand corner of the group's page, or you can click here:

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/1...

message 42: by NancyJ (last edited Aug 10, 2018 05:22AM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) Hi Nancy, I didn't see your message earlier, or I would have taken back my nomination. I agree that reading a new author is a good idea. I'm really looking forward to a cold war book this fall. I could go for a great spy thriller.

message 43: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

No worries -- it was my error so I put it on the poll. :)

message 44: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) ALLEN wrote: "One suggestion, if you need another, would be
but it is one of Clancy's best novels -..."

We just saw this movie yet again on TV. We were planning to see something else, but somehow the TV remote gets stuck whenever a Clancy film is on. I've only seen that actor on The Office, and his character wasn't nearly as smart as Jack Ryan. He's got the humility though.

message 45: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) Nancy wrote: "recapping:

1. Smilla's Sense of Snow, by Peter Høeg -- Jamie
2 Dissolution, by CJ Sansom -- Susanna CBG
3. A Cold Day For Murder, by Dana Stabenow -- Bil..."

Book 4 has a bad link (it leads to a Harry Potter book!). it must be off a number.

message 46: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments I ordered the Ann Cleeve's book.

message 47: by Melissa (new)

Melissa M  | 14 comments I found Ann Cleeve's book at the library.

message 48: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Good!

message 49: by ALLEN (last edited Aug 10, 2018 08:30AM) (new)

ALLEN | 4532 comments NancyJ wrote: "ALLEN wrote: "One suggestion, if you need another, would be
but it is one of Clancy's..."

Hi, NancyJ! I envy your being able to see the very brand-new tv adapation of RED OCTOBER starring John Krasinski. We don't have cable tv here, so of course no Amazon video feeds of that kind, but I am happy to say I just bought a pbk. of RED OCTOBER that happens to have John Krasinski, playing Jack Ryan, on its cover.

I do believe that Amazon is letting these go one-at-a-time, and the whole series will be known as "Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan." Since RED OCTOBER was Clancy's first such TV, I suppose the tv episodes will come out in that order, with OCTOBER first.

Screen-wise, I'd love to see the new release. But my heart belongs to Sean Connery as the conflicted Soviet admiral from Vilnius.

And yes, I am re-reading the book! It just arrived two days ago.
(I guess y'all know how I'll be voting -- but re-reading the book anyway.)

message 50: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

We have winners! The top two books in the poll are Raven Black by Ann Cleeves and A Cold Day For Murder, by Dana Stabenow.

Suzy, Bill -- I don't need to contact you about moderating, right?

« previous 1