Kindle British Mystery Book Club discussion

The Gathering Murders (Inspector Torquil McKinnon, #1)
This topic is about The Gathering Murders
Book Club Selection > August 2018 Value Book Read - The Gathering Murders, by Keith Moray

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

David Gooch | 3992 comments Mod
The Gathering Murders by Keith Moray

"The mysterious drowning of Ranald Buchanan, an acclaimed Gaelic fisherman-poet, on the first night of the literary festival hardly sets the right tone for the celebrations. For one thing, it rekindles age-old fears about the Selkie, the seal-folk who claim their victims and drag them beneath the waves... Torquil McKinnon, Inspector in the Hebridean Constabulary, soon has his hands full. Not only has his old flame, crime writer Fiona Cullen, returned to the island for the festival, but it also appears there is a serial killer on the loose. And dead writers tell no tales..."

Discussion Leader - AngryGreyCat
Link to Book on Amazon UK - https://amzn.to/2v53Pta
Link to Book on Amazon.com - https://amzn.to/2mWa2Eb

I have my copy and have started this book.

Beth Stewart | 583 comments This was an ok read for me. I felt that the pacing was off; it plodded along until the last 10% of the book!

Not much in the way of character development. I didn't like Fiona; perhaps we aren't meant to

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 556 comments I will be starting this some time today.

Kimberly Reads Books (kimberlyreadsbooks) I’m excited to read this! I’ve bought my copy and will be reading it next.

message 6: by David (last edited Aug 03, 2018 08:18AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Im finished and I found it an ok read.

Beth Stewart | 583 comments I did enjoy the references to bagpipes as I played the pipes for 30 years, but never got interested in Piobaireachd (the equivalent of classical music, for bagpipes). I have seen an old transcript of Canntaireachd, though! But I did wonder if your average, non-Piper reader, would find those paragraphs superfluous or distracting

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 556 comments I have to admit I am having difficulty getting into this. I picked it up three times now and read about the first three pages and put it down tempted by one of my other books. I am going to try again tomorrow!

Beth Stewart | 583 comments I can understand that, AngryGreyCat. It's is a mediocre read. What's missing, do you think???

I didn't think it was mediocre at all.
There is a bit of padding with the piping stuff and the gathering etc but then all novels tend to do that.

The book takes a bit to get going before the first murder is out there and then gets going with another etc.
As you read along the book keeps you interested and while not the fastest pace it is ok.

I have read far worse than this one and as a murder mystery it is ok for a first book.

message 11: by Beth (new) - rated it 2 stars

Beth Stewart | 583 comments Quite right, David! There have been a few I have never finished I would try another from the author