Play Book Tag discussion

My Year of Rest and Relaxation
This topic is about My Year of Rest and Relaxation
Archive: Other Books > My Year of Rest and Relaxation - Ottessa Moshfegh - 4 stars - Listopia

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susie | 4488 comments My Year of Rest and Relaxation is a wonderfully written first person account of a woman who is suffering from an undefined mental illness that leads her to be a pathalogically apathetic prescription drug misuser. She decides to embark upon a year of hibernation, hoping to be born anew at the end of the year. She has engaged the services of a psychiatrist who is in need of a psychiatrist who provides her with a steady flow of numerous inapporpriate prescriptions.

I really enjoyed this book and found it to have an authentic narrative. The protaganist's experience really rang true. The book had a First Bad Man fell to it, but was a little less whacky. It didn't quite make it to a five as there were a few sections that dragged for me, but for the most part it was exceptionally well written, unique, and engaging.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7692 comments First of all, I awoke to a flurry of reviews from you! You have been busy! Your boys’ school break must be over 😉

Secondly, did you listen to this one? I am intrigued by this book and have been in the fence about actually adding it to my TBR but then I saw it was narrated by Julia Whelan—one of my favorite narrators!—and now it is on my TBR and in hold at the library. Lol

Susie | 4488 comments I had a backlog and a day off so sorry for the flurry!

I didn’t listen to the audio. I’m really interested to hear what it’s like.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7692 comments No apologies needed! I love it! I am not reading the Man Booker long list (I probably won’t read the short list either) but I love seeing reviews of those. Plus, I think a couple of people guessed that this one would make the list even though it didn’t!

Tracy (tstan) | 1182 comments I listened to it, and I liked the audio- a lot.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7692 comments Good to know, Tracy! Thanks for the input. There is a long list at my library but I am a patient woman....

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Nice review Susie. The narrative sounds interesting and sadly true too often. Glad you enjoyed the book.

message 8: by Joi (new) - added it

Joi (missjoious) | 3782 comments I've been wavering whether to put this on my TBR. Not gonna lie- the cover art totally turned me off of it. After the positive reviews here, I think I'll add it and give it a chance.

Thanks!

message 9: by Sara (new) - added it

Sara (mootastic1) | 770 comments I heard an interview with the author on NPR about this book and have been intrigued since. Your review is definitely the nudge I need.

Susie | 4488 comments I had wondered whether she has had personal experience with mental illness Sara. Did she touch on that in the interview?

message 11: by Sara (new) - added it

Sara (mootastic1) | 770 comments I don't recall if she mentioned that. I believe the interview was on Fresh Air. You may be able to find it online.

Susie | 4488 comments I’ll have a look. Thanks!

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7692 comments Joi, I had the same impression of the cover! I am not a fan of it and it was really discouraging me.