Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Dear Aaron
This topic is about Dear Aaron
Previous BOMs - Authors; U - Z > Zapata, Mariana - Dear Aaron - Informal buddy read starting August 1st, 2018

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30933 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss Dear Aaron by Mariana Zapata

Synopsis
Ruby Santos knew exactly what she was getting herself into when she signed up to write a soldier overseas.

The guidelines were simple: one letter or email a week for the length of his or her deployment. Care packages were optional.

Been there, done that. She thought she knew what to expect.

What she didn’t count on was falling in love with the guy.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

Tati | 1133 comments I've started this, and so far, it's pretty interesting.

(view spoiler)

Tati | 1133 comments I'm currently at 22% and all this writing back and forth is getting a tad old

Nicole P | 1834 comments I only got to chapter 4 and the writing back and forth is starting to get annoying 🙈 I hope this isn't for majority of the book.

I was also wondering why he took so long to reply. Maybe he was on active duty/out fighting?

What do you think about Ruby? I like her so far. She has a good sense of humor.

Tati | 1133 comments I have some bad news for you: the writing back forth only stops halfway through the book... And I got pretty annoyed by it too.

About Ruby, I think she does have a good sense of humor, but she is a tad bit too insecure, and a pushover at times.

(view spoiler)

Nicole P | 1834 comments I'm dying! I got up to the end of chapter 11 (about 35%) and I'm annoyed. I don't see how Zapata thought this would be a good thing.

You're right about Ruby. She apologizes quite a bit. And definitely does seem to be a pushover.

Nicole P | 1834 comments You have a better tolerance than I do. This book is driving me insane! I find myself skimming parts 🙈

message 10: by Tati (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tati | 1133 comments I skimmed too :)

Nicole P | 1834 comments I got to the end of chapter 14. And thank goodness! There is light at the end of the tunnel. Sheesh. IM was brutal.

message 12: by Tati (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tati | 1133 comments I thought so too. Some people didn’t like it when the texting was over. I was relieved. Otherwise, I don’t know if I’d have finished the book

Nicole P | 1834 comments I'm up to chapter 19. Ruby is very insecure. I hate that she apologizes for everything. And she's also very emotional. Tears up very quickly. I feel like she should start pushing him for answers. She has all these questions and becomes a mouse. Doesn't ask or make an attempt to find out.

There are clearly things going on with Aaron. I'm guessing his father is pressuring him into coming to work for him. Or maybe he is having difficulty adjusting to normal life again

Nicole P | 1834 comments I finished and I was thoroughly disappointed! That was just an utter shit ending. Happened so fast and left me feeling pissed off and annoyed. I read all those stupid effen emails and IM's for the ending to be like that? I'm supposed to infer. No! I would have much rather read about how they figured things out. What did Aaron land up doing after he left the military? How did Ruby's parents and siblings react to Aaron? What happened in the end with Aaron and his mother? His father?

And Ruby got annoying with her insecurities and apologies. Also her obliviousness and scaredy cat tendencies. I didn't feel that there was enough character growth. Yeah she laid down the law with Aaron that one time but so what. She still seemed like a pushover.

I just wasn't impressed with this.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Dear Aaron (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Mariana Zapata (other topics)