Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Incomplete Series Challenge > Katie K's dive into All Things Fantasy ~ aka series challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 91 (91 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Katie (last edited May 02, 2022 08:43AM) (new)

Katie K | 2152 comments I have way too many books on my to read list (most of which are series). In order to stop myself from being drawn to adding more to my read list or starting new series I've decided to take a look at the ones I already have already started.

Rules to Ignore 😛
- can't add any new books to 'want to read' section until you finish at least 3 books on your existing list (I'm absolutely failing at this rule, haha, maybe I'll have to shorten my to read list at some point...)
- Bonus Challenge: you must Finish, Bring UTD, or Abandon 5 series for every 1 you start. (flexible with buddy reads, and thank goodness....because there is a lot I wanna read)

Who needs rules, really? lol. As long as there is progress, I'm good xD
Time to start off this new year right!

2022 Goals
Total books read since challenge started - 18
Incomplete series* - 28
New Series Started - 4
Series up to date* - 19
Completed series* - 21
Abandoned - 1
((*These numbers stack across the years. I don't reset them each year. Easier to keep track of what series I've read :D))

Series to Read
1. The Shadow Rising - The Wheel of Time Series - 4/16
2. The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest - Millennium Series - 3/6
3. Drums of Autumn - Outlander - 4/9 - (0/1 prequel)
4. Dead Beat - The Dresden Files - 7/15 - (0/27 spinoff) 📖
5. The Story of the Stone - The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox - 2/3
6. A Clash of Kings - Game of Thrones - 2/5 - (0/2 spinoff)
7. The Fellowship of the Ring - The Lord of the Rings - 1/3
8. The Alloy of Law - Wax and Wayne Series - 0/3 - (0/3 spinoff)
9. Grey Sister - Book of The Ancestor - 2/3 - (0/1 spinoff)
10. River of No Return - The Twenty-Sided Sorceress - 9/10 - (0/1 spinoff)
11. A Torch Against the Night - An Ember in the Ashes Series - 2/4
12 Supernova - Renegades - 3/3
13. The Time of Contempt - Witcher Series - book 2 - (2/2 prequels)
14. Limited Wish - Impossible Times - 2/3
15. Red Seas Under Red Skies - Gentleman Bastard Series - 2/4
16. Wonder Woman: Warbringer - DC Icons Series
17. Bloody Rose - Kings of the Wyld - 2/2
18. Jade Legacy - The Green Bone Saga - 3/3

Comics/Manga
1. The Once and Future King - Rat Queens - 6/7
2. Vigilantes Vol 7, ep. xx - Vigilantes - 7/9
3. Beastars Vol 17, ch. xx - Beastars - 17/??
4. Avatar Comics .... multiple
5. Ranma 1/2 Vol 7, part 11 - Ranma 1/2 - 7/38
6. Teen Titans: Beast Boy Loves Raven - Teen Titans Comics - 3/?
7. ちはやふる 11 - Chihayafuru - 13/?
8. 極主夫道 2The Way of the Househusband - 2/?
9. Psyren - 8/?
10. Hawkeye - 2/?

Bookshelf
https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

New Series
1. Psyren
2. The Broken Empire
3. Hawkeye
4. Redwall

Currently Reading
Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, #7) by Jim Butcher

message 2: by Katie (last edited May 02, 2022 08:44AM) (new)

Katie K | 2152 comments Series Up To Date (to be continued)
01. Court of Thorns and Roses by Roses by Sarah J. Maas - 5/5
02. Robert Langdon Series by Dan Brown - 7/7
03. Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss - 2.5/?
04. Leah on the Offbeat - 2/?
05. The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes - Hunger Games - 3/3.5 - (prequel)
06. Vengeful - Villains Trilogy - 2/3
07. Ninth House - Alex Stern - 1/???
08. House of Earth and Blood - Crescent City - 2/???
09. Crooked Kingdom - 2/3 ???
10. Bridge of Souls - Cassidy Blake Series - 3/3
11. Starsight - Skyward - 2/3
12. The Tea Dragon Tapestry
13. Cytonic- Skyward - 3/??

Comics/Manga
1. Saga, Vol. 9 - 9/9
2. よつばと! 14 - (Yotsuba) - 14/14 - Chapter 106
3. The Black Bull of Norroway
4 Hilda and the Mountain King - Hilda - 6/6
5. 乙嫁語り 12 Otoyomegatari 12 - 12/13 - Chapter 89 -A Bride's Story - 2020 TBD

Not at Library
1. Skyward, Vol. 2: Here There Be Dragonflies - 2/3 - [not at library]

message 3: by Katie (last edited Feb 17, 2022 01:13PM) (new)

Katie K | 2152 comments Completed Series (20)
Comics/Manga
The Broken Vow (Spill Zone, #2) by Scott Westerfeld 聲の形 7 Koe no Katachi 7 (A Silent Voice, #7) by Yoshitoki Ōima Solanin (Solanin, #1-2) by Inio Asano Brave Chef Brianna by Sam Sykes Paper Girls, Vol. 6 by Brian K. Vaughan 夢みる太陽 10 Yume Miru Taiyou 10 (Dreaming Sun, #10) by Ichigo Takano Your Lie in April, Vol. 10 by Naoshi Arakawa
Spill Zone, A Silent Voice, Solanin, Brave Chef Brianna, Paper Girls, Dreamin' Sun, Your Lie in April

Novels
Our Dark Duet (Monsters of Verity, #2) by Victoria Schwab Assassin's Quest (Farseer Trilogy, #3) by Robin Hobb The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3) by Brandon Sanderson Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins Ship of Destiny (Liveship Traders, #3) by Robin Hobb Muse of Nightmares (Strange the Dreamer, #2) by Laini Taylor Fool's Fate (Tawny Man, #3) by Robin Hobb Five ​Dark Fates (Three Dark Crowns, #4) by Kendare Blake The Winter of the Witch (The Winternight Trilogy, #3) by Katherine Arden Blood of Dragons (Rain Wild Chronicles, #4) by Robin Hobb Kingdom of Ash (Throne of Glass, #7) by Sarah J. Maas Assassin's Fate (The Fitz and the Fool, #3) by Robin Hobb The Night Masquerade (Binti, #3) by Nnedi Okorafor

Monsters of Verity Duology, Farseer Trilogy, Mistborn Trilogy, Hunger Games Trilogy, Liveship Traders, Strange the Dreamer Duology, The Tawny Man Trilogy, Three Dark Crowns, Winternight Trilogy, The Rain Wilds Chronicles, Throne of Glass, The Fool and the Assassin, Binti

Abandoned Series (33)
The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike, #1) by Robert Galbraith Shadow's Edge (Night Angel, #2) by Brent Weeks The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air, #1) by Holly Black The Wrinkle in Time Quintet - Digest Size Boxed Set (Time Quintet, #1-5) by Madeleine L'Engle Lumberjanes Pungeon Master (Lumberjanes, #2) by Noelle Stevenson Siege and Storm (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #2) by Leigh Bardugo Chilling Adventures of Sabrina #2 by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa Exile (Forgotten Realms The Dark Elf Trilogy, #2; Legend of Drizzt, #2) by R.A. Salvatore Wolverine and the X-Men by Jason Aaron, Vol. 2 by Jason Aaron A Discovery of Witches (All Souls, #1) by Deborah Harkness The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, #1) by Brandon Sanderson 14歳の恋 2 14-sai no Koi 2 (Love at Fourteen, #2) by Fuka Mizutani Runaways, Vol. 11 Homeschooling by Kathryn Immonen Homecoming (Mercy Thompson Graphic Novel) by Patricia Briggs Bride of the Water God, Volume 2 by Mi-Kyung Yun ハイキュー!! 2 Haikyū!! 2  by Haruichi Furudate The Arrow (The Woods #1) by James Tynion IV A Wizard of Earthsea (Earthsea Cycle, #1) by Ursula K. Le Guin Locke & Key, Vol. 1 Welcome to Lovecraft by Joe Hill The Apocalypse Suite (The Umbrella Academy, #1) by Gerard Way Graceling (Graceling Realm, #1) by Kristin Cashore The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, #1) by Stephen King Children of Virtue and Vengeance (Legacy of Orïsha, #2) by Tomi Adeyemi Malice (The Faithful and the Fallen, #1) by John Gwynne A Time of Blood (Of Blood and Bone, #2) by John Gwynne The Gilded Ones (The Gilded Ones, #1) by Namina Forna The Rage of Dragons (The Burning #1) by Evan Winter The Fifth Season (The Broken Earth, #1) by N.K. Jemisin 暗殺教室 2 Ansatsu Kyoushitsu 2 (Assassination Classroom, #2) by Yūsei Matsui Monstress, Vol. 1 Awakening by Marjorie M. Liu Maison Ikkoku, Vol. 1 by Rumiko Takahashi The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1) by S.A. Chakraborty Prince of Thorns (The Broken Empire, #1) by Mark Lawrence
The Cuckoo's Calling, Night Angel Trilogy, The Folk of Air, Wrinkle in Time, Lumberjanes, Shadow and Bone Trilogy, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Legent of Drizzt, Wolverine and the X-Men, Discovery of Witches, The Stormlight Archive, Love at Fourteen Manga, Runaways, Mercy Thompson, Bride of the Water God, Haikyu, The Woods, EarthSea Cycle, Locke & Key, The Umbrella Academy, The Graceling Realm, The Dark Tower, Legacy of Orisha, The Faithful and the Fallen, Of Blood and Bone, The Gilded Ones, Rage of Dragons, The Fifth Season, Assasination Classroom, Monstress, Maison Ikkoku, City of Brass, Broken Empire

message 4: by Katie (last edited Aug 21, 2018 08:42AM) (new)

Katie K | 2152 comments July Totals
Books read towards challenge: 4
(Three Dark Crowns, A Silent Voice [2-4])

New series started: 0
Series progressed: 2 (A Silent Voice, Three Dark Crowns)
Brought up to date: 0
Finished series: 0
Abandoned: 0

message 5: by Katie (last edited Jan 03, 2019 11:28AM) (new)

Katie K | 2152 comments August Totals
Books read towards challenge: 6
(A Silent Voice [5-7], One Dark Throne, Paper Girls, Vol. 4, Rat Queens, Vol. 4: High Fantasies)

New series started: 3 (The Lord of the Rings, Mistborn, The Witcher)
Series progressed: 4 (A Silent Voice, Three Dark Crowns, Paper Girls, Rat Queens)
Brought up to date: 1 (Paper Girls)
Finished series: 1 (A Silent Voice)

While the book series "A Silent Voice" didn't captivate me as much as other manga have in the past it did leave its mark. It discusses such a difficult topic in which people hardly ever care to mention in today's society- bullying. Not only did we see the suffering of the victim Shoko but of the bully himself and what he and his friends went through during their time at school. These characters have come a far ways from their youth. Growing and changing into better people. While this can be a tough read due to the subject matter, I would highly recommend it.

message 6: by Katie (last edited Oct 01, 2018 07:54AM) (new)

Katie K | 2152 comments September Totals
Books read towards challenge: 7
(The Final Empire, Blood of Elves, Shadow and Bone, Solanin, A Bride's Story, Vol. 1, Pride and Joy, A Bride's Story, Vol. 2)

New series started: 4 (Grishaverse, Solanin, A Bride's Story, Runaways)
Series progressed: 6 (Mistborn, Witcher, Grisha Trilogy, Solanin, A Bride's Story, Runaways)
Finished series: 1 (Solanin)

Had to switch over some comics to mix up the reading a bit. Slowly my series list is becoming even longer though. O.O Part of it is because all of the great BR out there. But sooner or later I have to start making a dent in them. New goal - BR is alright, but for each BR make a goal to read at least one book on that big ole list on the top. October will be a busy month, so let's see :)

message 7: by Katie (last edited Nov 01, 2018 07:43AM) (new)

Katie K | 2152 comments October Totals
Books read towards challenge: 12
(A Bride's Story, Vol. 3, A Bride's Story, Vol. 4, A Bride's Story, Vol. 5, The Great Hunt, Runaways, Vol. 2: Teenage Wasteland, Monstress, Vol. 1: Awakening, A Bride's Story, Vol. 6, A Bride's Story, Vol. 7, A Bride's Story, Vol. 8, A Bride's Story, Vol. 9, The Wise Man's Fear, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Vol. 1: The Crucible)

New series started: 2 (Monstress, Sabrina)
Series progressed: 4 (A Bride’s Story, Wheel of Time, Monstress, KingKiller Chronicles)
Brought up to date: 1 (A Bride's Story)
Abandoned: 3 (Witcher Series, Grisha Trilogy, Sabrina)

message 8: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments You've made great progress, Katie! Well done! 😘

message 9: by Katie (new)

Katie K | 2152 comments Thanks Siobhan ^_^ Most of it is comics to be honest...but you've gotta start somewhere, right? XD

message 10: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments They still need to be read! XD

message 11: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5020 comments I agree, you're doing great Katie! :)

message 12: by Katie (new)

Katie K | 2152 comments Thanks you guys! hearts, hearts <3

message 13: by Katie (last edited Dec 03, 2018 08:20AM) (new)

Katie K | 2152 comments November Totals
Books read towards challenge: 8
(Yotsuba 1-4, Rat Queens, Vol. 5: The Colossal Magic Nothing, The Slow Regard of Silent Things, Homeland, Runaways, Vol. 3: The Good Die Young)

New series started: 3 (Yotsuba, Legend of Drizzt, Monsters of Verity)
Series progressed: 5 (Yotsuba, Rat Queens, Kingkiller Chronicles, Legend of Drizzt, Runaways)
Brought up to date: 2 (Rat Queens, Kingkiller Chronicles)
Abandoned: 1 (Discovery of Witches)

message 14: by Katie (new)

Katie K | 2152 comments December Totals
(This Savage Song, Leah on the Offbeat, Runaways Vol 4-5, Yotsuba 5-7)

New series started: 1 (Book of the Ancestor #1)
Series progressed: 5 (Red Sister, Monsters of Verity, Leah on the Offbeat, Yotsuba)
Brought up to date: 1 (Leah on the Offbeat)
Abandoned: 1 (Legend of Drizzt)

message 15: by Katie (new)

Katie K | 2152 comments 2018 Summary
I'm so psyched that I've decided to get back into reading over the past two years. Not only did I meet my reading challenge goal, but I made much strides in my incomplete series goal. While most of the items on my list were comics I have to say I still enjoyed most every one of them :D Here are a few of my favorite reads over the year:

Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1) by Kendare Blake A Silent Voice, Volume 1 (A Silent Voice, #1) by Yoshitoki Oima A Bride's Story, Vol. 1 (A Bride's Story, #1) by Kaoru Mori Pride and Joy (Runaways, #1) by Brian K. Vaughan The Wise Man's Fear (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #2) by Patrick Rothfuss The Slow Regard of Silent Things (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #2.5) by Patrick Rothfuss Yotsuba&!, Vol. 1 (Yotsuba&! #1) by Kiyohiko Azuma This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1) by Victoria Schwab Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda (Creekwood, #1) by Becky Albertalli

2018 stats
Total books read since challenge started - 44
Incomplete series - 18
New Series Started - 13
Series up to date - 7
Completed series - 3
Abandoned - 10

message 16: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Well done, Katie! You've done fantastic!

Glad you enjoyed This Savage Song. I loved it.

message 17: by Katie (new)

Katie K | 2152 comments Siobhan wrote: "Well done, Katie! You've done fantastic!

Glad you enjoyed This Savage Song. I loved it."

Thanks Siobhan ^-^ And yes, I absolutely adored "This Savage Song"! I actually found the sequel a bit hard to get into at first, but I think that's mostly because the two main characters were separated for so long. lol. I can't wait to see where their arc ends.

message 18: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments I really need to read Our Dark Duet! Very high up my list.

When do you fancy finishing the Three Dark Crowns series? I have Queens of Fennbirn and Two Dark Reigns waiting and ready to go. :)

message 19: by Katie (new)

Katie K | 2152 comments You should definitely check it out :)

That's so funny! I was also gonna ask you if you wanted to do a buddy read to finish that series XD January and February are pretty busy for me with the BRs and all, but most of the rest of the year I don't have anything planned out yet. What were yah thinking for the "Three Dark Crowns" series? :)

message 20: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Cool! My March is pretty busy. How about April?
We might need to check with Charlie for her schedule too because I think she has a lot of buddy reads planned! XD
We should just use the YA Book Club thread again. Do you think we should do the novellas then book 3 one after the other?

message 21: by Katie (new)

Katie K | 2152 comments Siobhan wrote: "Cool! My March is pretty busy. How about April?
We might need to check with Charlie for her schedule too because I think she has a lot of buddy reads planned! XD
We should just use the YA Book Club..."

April would work for me ^^ The only BR I wanted to check out that month is "Throne of Glass" on the 15th. So sometime around it would work too. Yeah, maybe post in the YA discussion board and we can check in with Charlie or any others who had read with us from the earlier books :)

message 22: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments I'm going to read Throne of Glass too! :)

How about 1st April to start the novellas then go from there?

I'll post in there, but got Charlie on her tracker and she's game!

message 23: by Katie (new)

Katie K | 2152 comments Siobhan wrote: "I'm going to read Throne of Glass too! :)

How about 1st April to start the novellas then go from there?

I'll post in there, but got Charlie on her tracker and she's game!"

You are? That's awesome! I loved ACOTAR, so I can't wait to read more of her work ^^

Yeah, I think April 1st is a good place to start! Which novella did you want to start with? I think there are three, correct?

Awesome! I'm glad Charlie is on board! And thanks for posting in the YA discussion :)

message 24: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments I have the novellas printed in Queens of Fennbirn, so whatever order that's in? XD
Or whatever you think is best! :)

message 25: by Katie (new)

Katie K | 2152 comments Gotcha! I didn't know that book combined the two shorts. That seems like a good place to start then :D

message 26: by Katie (last edited Mar 19, 2019 12:35PM) (new)

Katie K | 2152 comments January Totals
Books read towards challenge: 13
(Yotsuba 8-11, Paper Girls Vol 5, Wolverine and the X-Men - Vol 1, Red Sister, Our Dark Duet, Bride’s Story Vol 10, Runaways Vol 6,
Justice Calling, Strange the Dreamer, Assassin's Apprentice)

New series started: 4 (Wolverine and the X-Men, Twenty Sided Sorceress, Strange the Dreamer, Farseer Trilogy)
Series progressed: 10 (Yotsuba, Paper Girls, X-men, Red Sister, Our Dark Duet, Bride’s Story, Runaways, Twenty Sided Sorceress, Strange the Dreamer, Farseer Trilogy)
Brought up to date: 2 (Paper Girls, Bride’s Story)
Finished series: 1 (Our Dark Duet)
Abandoned: 1 (Wolverine and the X-Men, Vol 1 - no access to comic)

message 27: by Anni (last edited Feb 01, 2019 03:58PM) (new)

Anni | 5020 comments Wow, well done Katie! 😊 But why does Red Sister count as progressed instead of started series?
How was Our dark Duet?

message 28: by Katie (new)

Katie K | 2152 comments Thanks so much Sir Anni!!! :D I started Red Sister in December, so that's why my listing looks a bit odd :)

It took me a while to get into "Our Dark Duet". Some of the new side characters I didn't care for as much. But as the story evolved and familiar favorites reunited I began to enjoy it a bit more. And that ending, my gosh O.O

Have you read that book yet Anni?

message 29: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5020 comments No, not yet. But I've read book 1 when it was published and really liked it. I guess I have to re-read it before starting Our dark Duet.

By the way, I liked Grey Sister way better than Red Sister :) We talked about it, right? And you decided to not continue for now, because we both weren't too excited by the first one. In my opinion the characters are a lot more fleshed out. It was also fast paced, with more action :)

message 30: by Katie (new)

Katie K | 2152 comments Sir Anni wrote: "No, not yet. But I've read book 1 when it was published and really liked it. I guess I have to re-read it before starting Our dark Duet.

By the way, I liked Grey Sister way better than Red Sister..."

Re-reading might help you out when you decide to read the final book of the series :)

Did you??? That's amazing! Yes, we did talk about 'Red Sister' in a buddy read I believe ^^ I'm glad to hear that things picked up in the second book! Maybe they were just trying to set up so much in the first one? I dunno. lol. But it gives me hope to continue the series later this year ^^ Thanks Anni!!

message 31: by Katie (new)

Katie K | 2152 comments I don't know if I'll make a dent in my 'incomplete series' list, I've added so many great new series to my list XD

message 32: by Katie (new)

Katie K | 2152 comments February Totals
Books read towards challenge: 10
(Murder of Crows, Muse of Nightmares, Saga Vol 1-5, よつばと! 12, Pack of Lies, Archenemies)

New series started: 1 (Stormlight Archive)
Series progressed: 5 (Twenty Sided Sorceress, Saga, Strange the Dreamer, Yotsuba, Renegades)
Brought up to date: 2 (Strange the Dreamer, Renegades)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 1338 comments Yay!! 😃

message 34: by Katie (new)

Katie K | 2152 comments Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ wrote: "Yay!! 😃"

Thanks Melissa ^~^

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 1338 comments You’re welcome 😊

message 36: by Katie (new)

Katie K | 2152 comments March Totals
Books read towards challenge: 14
(Sava Vol 6-9, Hunting Season, The Way of Kings, Runaways 7-10, Heartache, Brave Chef Brianna, Thicker Than Blood, Royal Assassin)

New series started: 1 (Brave Chef Brianna)
Series progressed: 5 (Saga, Twenty-Sided Sorceress, Stormlight Archive, Runaways, Farseer Trilogy)
Brought up to date: 1 (Saga)
Finished series: 1 (Brave Chef Brianna)
Abandoned: 1 (Stormlight Archive)

~
Well this month has certainly been filled with emotion. I mean if Saga stab me in the heart in the beginning there I was surly grabbed at the end by FitzChivarly and his story >_< 

Emotions aside, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my reading this month. I truly believe that the Farseer Trilogy is my new favorite series. The world and the characters are just crafted so well…if not for the perils that they must suffer and endure ^^; And then we have Saga…man…to leave on a cliffhanger like that. Wow. Just no tears left for that one. To think we might have to wait a full year until the creators return to their story. hmmm….

At least Brave Chef Brianna kept my spirits high with her level of positive and perseverance. ^^

As a sidetone I am putting the Starlight Archives on hold for a while. It just didn’t draw me in as much as the other books I’ve mentioned. I need some lighter reads for now…and more happier ones it seems. lol

To my dear Nighteyes, hero of the day, much puppy kisses <3

message 37: by Katie (new)

Katie K | 2152 comments April Totals
Books read towards challenge: 1
(Magic to the Bone)

Series progressed: 1 (Twenty Sided Sorceress)

May Totals
Books read towards challenge: 5
(Throne of Glass, Assassin's Quest, Two Dark Reigns, Crown of Midnight, Runaways: Homecoming )

New series started: 1 (Throne of Glass)
Series progressed: 4 (Throne of Glass, Farseer Trilogy, Three Dark Crowns, Runaways)
Brought up to date: 1 (Three Dark Crowns)
Finished series: 1 (Farseer Trilogy)

message 38: by Katie (last edited Jun 10, 2019 08:18AM) (new)

Katie K | 2152 comments So April has been kind of a slump month for me, but that’s to be expected kinda sorta. I finally ticked off one of my bucket list items, visiting Japan!It was all that I ever wanted <3 I’m not going to forget my experience anytime soon.

message 39: by Katie (last edited Jun 10, 2019 08:18AM) (new)

Katie K | 2152 comments Andddd that brings me up to May. Much more reading done there. I’m trying out another series by Sarah J. Maas. It’s not gripping me as much as ACOTAR so far, but I’m going to read more. I’ve heard so many good things from the fans of the series. 

Three Dark Crowns was a great read as always…but I can’t believe we have to wait for one more book to wrap things up! lol. I thought this one was gonna be a trilogy y’all XD

The Farseer Trilogy is one of my absolute favorites. Yes, it had some ups and downs, but the feelings I got from the setting and the characters were something special.

message 40: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Totally agree on Farseer, and I can easily see Liveship giving us the same feels! ❤️

I really really really thought Three Dark Crowns was a darned trilogy!!

message 41: by Katie (last edited Jun 10, 2019 09:42AM) (new)

Katie K | 2152 comments Siobhan wrote: "Totally agree on Farseer, and I can easily see Liveship giving us the same feels! ❤️

I really really really thought Three Dark Crowns was a darned trilogy!!"

I can't wait until I get the special illustrated edition of the "Assassin's Apprentice"! (In October) My love for it will be be renewed for sure!

I'm still not feeling the Liveship trilogy ^^; But now that I've finished mistborn I can sit down and read the book more instead of listening to it. Maybe the narration is hampening my experience,

Right?! I think we all did XD

message 42: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Katie wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "Totally agree on Farseer, and I can easily see Liveship giving us the same feels! ❤️

I really really really thought Three Dark Crowns was a darned trilogy!!"

I can't wait until I ..."

I can't wait to own that illustrated edition! :D

message 43: by Katie (new)

Katie K | 2152 comments June Totals
(よつばと! 13, The Well of Ascension, よつばと! 14, Ship of Magic, Hildafolk)

New series started: 2 (Liveship Traders, Hildafolk)
Series progressed: 4 (Yotsuba, Mistborn, Liveship Traders, Hildafolk)
Brought up to date: 1 (Yotsuba)

message 44: by Katie (new)

Katie K | 2152 comments July Totals
(Heir of Fire, The Hero of Ages, Teen Titans: Raven, Mockingjay, The Mad Ship)

New series started: 1 (Teen Titans Comic)
Series progressed: 4 (Mistborn, Throne of Glass, Liveship Traders, Hunger Games)
Brought up to date: 1 (Teen Titans Comic)
Finished series: 2 (Mistborn, Hunger Games)

Okay, I have to say that the Mistborn series is one of my absolute favorites <3 It was a bittersweet read, having the story come to a close, finding the fates of my beloved characters. But the payoff was worth it ^~^ I'm still amazed by Sanderson's world building and interweaving plot threads. Hopefully sometime soon I can dive into his later mistborn book arc. ^^

Gushing about Mistborn aside I also was able to check out some new comics. The New Teen Titans novel illustrated by Gabriel Picolo is a magnificent piece of work. Those who are already fans of his please check out this book, You'll love this introduction to Raven :D

message 45: by Katie (last edited Aug 30, 2019 12:25PM) (new)

Katie K | 2152 comments August Totals
(Hilda and the Bird Parade, Hilda and the Black Hound, Queen of Shadows, Ship of Destiny, The Black Bull of Norroway, Dragonfly in Amber, Empire of Storms)

New series started: 1 (Norroway Comic)
Series progressed: 5 (Hilda, Throne of Glass, Liveship Traders, Norroway, Outlander)
Brought up to date: 1 (Norroway Comic)
Finished series: 1 (Liveship Traders)

Another month done! I crammed a lot in at the end there! Still working on Empire of Storms but I hope to finish it on the weekend. My favorite this month definitely has to be Ship of Destiny . I really was unsure if I was gonna like this one. I find myself not liking novels with multiple main characters. Silly I know, but then there are sooo many people to keep track of @.@ Unless they get killed off like in GOT ^^; Regardless, I had some problems with the Liveship Traders series to start. I think I just wanted more of what the Farseer trilogy had been ~ unexpected heroes, teenage turmoil and emotions, and animal magic. lol. So I might have went in with the wrong idea ^^; But after I came to learn of the future world of Divytown and Jamalia I came to love these heroes and their seafaring tale. The character development throughout the trilogy is astounding! I have to say though, she needs to diversify her villains a bit. Always the male bad guy? Hobbs is an amazing author regardless and I can't wait to read more of her works. Hopefully with Fitz and Nighteyes and the Fool :D

Second pick of the month ~ this amazing comic of a spirited young girl destined to be the wife of this stubborn bull. Yes, he is an animal. lol. It's such a hilarious little tale. But between that humor is tons of depth and sadness of the curse that has been affecting the people of the land. I found out that this tale is actually based off of a Scottish classic tale of the same name. So you can definitely get that folklore/fairytale vibe. <3 Now I'm just so disappointed that I have to wait for the next issue! lol. Highly recommend though, for any who love folktales! ~The Black Bull of Norroway

message 46: by Katie (last edited Oct 03, 2019 11:38AM) (new)

Katie K | 2152 comments Kind of a slow month for me. I'm still reading some novels, but I haven't finished any quite yet. I'm trying to pick up more comics to pass the time, but I've had a lot of misses so far. Some of the just stories don't pique my interest. Out of this month's reads I definitely loved Hilda and the Stone Forest and Skyward, Vol. 1: My Low-G Life. Rat Queens is also at a kind of turning point. I quite liked this last issue. Besides the story at the end there...

September Totals
Books read towards challenge: 6
(Hilda and the Stone Forest, Skyward, Vol. 1: My Low-G Life, The Infernal Path, Bride of the Water God, Volume 1, Homecoming, Bride of the Water God, Volume 2)

New series started: 3 (Skyward, Mercy Tompson, Bride of the Water God)
Series progressed: 3 (Hilda, Skyward, Rat Queens)
Brought up to date: 2 (Hilda, Rat Queens)
Abandoned: 2 (Mercy Thompson, Bride of the Water God)

message 47: by Katie (last edited Dec 03, 2019 12:27PM) (new)

Katie K | 2152 comments Reading to me is like going on a little adventure, it really is. To escape in these vast worlds has always meant so much to me. Most recent I’ve dived into the world of Buckkeep once again to see the Prophet and the Catalyst continue their journey in the Tawny Man Series. It’s just so comforting to come across these well loved characters once more <3 I’ve missed them so.

These last few months I’ve also learned that not everyone is a hero. Because that is very much the case in Vicious. I still don’t know who to like in that one. Regardless it was a fantastic read!

The Bear and the Nightingale will be my last mention for these past two months. It took me a while to get into this one. Learning a new culture and all that…and of course I finish the book only to find a Russian glossary in the back the whole time! Of course! I only found out now ^^; Cultural differences aside I really enjoyed the strong heroine in this tale. And I’m always a sucker for a good faerie tale.

Alrighty. Last month is coming up….I feel like I keep on adding to this series list of mine. Yikes ^^; Gotta start finishing some of these bad boys in the new year ^^

October Totals
Books read towards challenge: 2
(An Ember in the Ashes, Fool's Errand)

New series started: 2 (An Ember in the Ashes, The Tawny Man Series)
Series progressed: 2 (An Ember in the Ashes, The Tawny Man Series)

November Totals
Books read towards challenge: 3
(Vicious, 夢みる太陽 1 Yume Miru Taiyou 1 , The Bear and the Nightingale)

New series started: 3 (Villains, Dreaming Sun, Bear and the Nightingale)
Series progressed: 3 (Villains, Dreaming Sun, Bear and the Nightingale)

message 48: by Katie (new)

Katie K | 2152 comments December Totals:
(Golden Fool, Vengeful, Dreamin' Sun 04, Dreamin' Sun Vol. 5, Hilda and the Mountain King)

Series progressed: 4 (Villains, The Tawny Man Series, Dreamin’ Sun, Hilda)
Brought up to date: 1 (Hilda)
Abandoned: 1 (The Woods)

message 49: by Katie (last edited Jan 07, 2020 01:09PM) (new)

Katie K | 2152 comments 2019 Summary
2019 has been quite the year of reading for me. I honesty can't believe I read this much! Most of it is due to my lil' comics here and there of course, but still...I've read 39 novels just this year! That's not even counting the 96 books! That's more in a long time for me. And sure...I keep adding new series...but the thing is there is so much new content I love! My taste has changed in some regards when it comes to books. I like to see the more mature themes and relationships one has. That is probably why I like Hobb so much as an author. What I'm trying to say is, it's okay if my series list never ends. It's gonna evolve with me, and I can't wait to see what new books draw my attention <3

Here are some of my favorites of the year~
Yotsuba, tome 8 (Yotsuba&! #8) by Kiyohiko Azuma Strange the Dreamer (Strange the Dreamer, #1) by Laini Taylor Assassin's Apprentice (Farseer Trilogy, #1) by Robin Hobb Saga, Vol. 5 by Brian K. Vaughan Royal Assassin (Farseer Trilogy, #2) by Robin Hobb The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2) by Brandon Sanderson Hilda and the Black Hound (Hilda, #4) by Luke Pearson The Black Bull of Norroway (Norroway, #1) by Cat Seaton Fool's Errand (Tawny Man, #1) by Robin Hobb Golden Fool (Tawny Man, #2) by Robin Hobb

2019 Stats
Total books read since challenge started - 76
Incomplete series - 21
New Series Started - 19
Series up to date - 13
Completed series - 10
Abandoned - 18

New Series from 2019
01. Book of the Ancestor
02. Wolverine and the X-Men
03. The Twenty-Sided Sorceress
04. Strange the Dreamer ✅
05. Farseer Trilogy ✅
06. Stormlight Archive
07. Brave Chef Brianna ✅
08. Liveship Traders ✅
09. Hilda Comic ✅
10. Teen Titans Comics ✅
11. Norroway Comic ✅
12. Skyward Comic
13. Bride of the Water God
14. Mercy Thompson, Graphic Novel
15. An Ember in the Ashes
16. Tawny Man Series
17. Villains Series ✅
18. Dreamin' Sun
19. Bear and the Nightingale

message 50: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Great job, Katie! I agree, my series list is going to grow and grow too, as it has done since I joined this group. Think I'll have to be OK with it!

I'm with you on Hobb being some of my most favourite reads of 2019! I also read Strange the Dreamer this year and loved it!

« previous 1