J.D. Robb discussion

Hiding in the Shadows (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #2; Shadows #2)
This topic is about Hiding in the Shadows
Monthly Book Discussion Library > Hiding in the Shadows (Bishop/Special Crimes #2) by Kay Hooper - Aug. 2018

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 10393 comments Mod
Our August Book of the Month will be Hiding in the Shadows by Kay Hooper. Our group read book 1, Stealing Shadows, in Aug. of 2015. You can follow that discussion and comment at Steal Shadows Discussion. Open discussion of Hiding in the Shadows will begin here on Aug. 15th. Feel free to join in any time.

Synopsis/Blurb:
Terror waits just out of sight
Hiding In The Shadows

Accident victim Faith Parker has done what her doctors feared she never would: awakened from the coma that held her prisoner for weeks. But she has no memory of the crash that nearly killed her-- or the life that led up to it. Nor does she remember journalist Dinah Leighton, the steadfast friend who visited her in the hospital...until she disappeared without a trace.

Now as Faith begins to regain her strength, she's shocked by intimate dreams of a man she doesn't recognize and tortured by visions of violence that feel painfully real. Something inexplicable ties her lost memories to Dinah's chilling fate. But even as Faith tries to understand the connection and reach out to save Dinah, death is stalking both women. And one of them will not escape its lethal grasp.

FBI agent Noah Bishop has a rare gift for seeing what others do not, a gift that helps him solve the most puzzling cases. Now, read more of his electrifying adventures in two stand-alone tales of psychic suspense.

As I mentioned in the Stealing Shadows thread:

I failed to notice during nominations that Stealing Shadows was a Robb group BOM in Aug. 2015. Since many of us read it then, we've opened this thread for Hiding in the Shadows, Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #2, for all who would like to read & discuss it as our Aug. 2018 Book of the Month.

Discussion on Stealing Shadows should be directed to Aug. 2015 Group Discussion of Stealing Shadows.

I plan on reading this one! I read book 1, Stealing Shadows, during our group read in 2015 and loved it. I always meant to continue the series but didn't. This is my chance!

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2416 comments I guess I'll re-read this one too. LOL

message 5: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 715 comments I think I'll probably pass on this one/two. Paranormal is not usually my cup of tea.

I didn't find the "paranormal" elements to be overwhelming. The psychic abilities are really well-blended into the crime/case, I thought. It's an intense read for sure.

Sandy | 189 comments I loved this series...it wasn't a woowoo paranormal.

message 8: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 715 comments Maybe I'll rethink and see if library has this book.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 943 comments Charlene, the paranormal elements are very subtle and take a back seat to the mystery.

Sheri Morell (smorell22) | 2165 comments i love this series and have read them all to date

Linda R, So far I am liking Hiding in the Shadows Hiding in the Shadows (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #2) by Kay Hooper more than Stealing Shadows. The characters are drawn better . The suspense is subtler and I like that.

Linda R, wrote: "So far I am liking Hiding in the ShadowsHiding in the Shadows (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #2) by Kay Hooper more than Stealing Shadows. The characters are drawn better . The suspense is subtler and I like that."

Glad to hear that, Linda! My plan is to read this one over the weekend.

I'm finally getting started on this one - hope to finish by the 15th. I'm running behind...again! lol

message 14: by Jo Ann (new) - added it

Jo Ann (jojog) | 345 comments Sandy wrote: "I loved this series...it wasn't a woowoo paranormal."

Glad to hear it's subtle, as paranormal isn't usually my thing. Going to see if my library has this one.

Jo Ann - Have you read book 1, Stealing Shadows? I only ask to make sure you realize this thread is for book 2. We're doing both books this month since we originally read book 1 about 3 years ago in this group. Our discussion for book 1 is at https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 16: by Jo Ann (new) - added it

Jo Ann (jojog) | 345 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "Jo Ann - Have you read book 1, Stealing Shadows? I only ask to make sure you realize this thread is for book 2. We're doing both books this month since we originally read book 1 about..."

Yep. Read the thread about bks 1 and 2. thx

Jo Ann wrote: "Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "Jo Ann - Have you read book 1, Stealing Shadows? I only ask to make sure you realize this thread is for book 2. We're doing both books this month s..."

Awesome! Looking forward to the discussion.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2416 comments I have questions.

Open discussion starts tomorrow. :)

Open discussion starts Now! Feel free to openly discuss Hiding in the Shadows.

I'm racing to finish this one - hopefully this evening. Go ahead & share your thoughts. I'll be back asap! :)

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2416 comments I loved this book until the end. That was just too far out there for me.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2416 comments I have a question. I didn't understand why Faith didn't share that Dinah wanted Bishop to stay. He is supposed to be a good friend. Bishop said he would stay if Kane needed him.

We are now through two books and I don't understand Bishop's purpose. For me, the mystery and suspense are great without him so I'm wondering what his purpose is. Does he just travel around the country making contact with psychics? He is an annoyance if he doesn't play a role in solving the murder.

That was going to be one of my questions:

What do you see as Bishop's role in this story/series?

message 24: by Jonetta (new) - added it

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 13386 comments Mod
Sharon wrote: "I have a question. I didn't understand why Faith didn't share that Dinah wanted Bishop to stay. He is supposed to be a good friend. Bishop said he would stay if Kane needed him.

We are now throug..."

As I suspected, this is one of those series that started with a standalone book that developed into additional connected books and the series was formed. Here’s a link to the author’s website that explains the genesis of the series in more detail.

https://www.kayhooper.com/bishop/bish...

Very interesting! Thanks, Jonetta!

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2416 comments Jonetta wrote: "Sharon wrote: "I have a question. I didn't understand why Faith didn't share that Dinah wanted Bishop to stay. He is supposed to be a good friend. Bishop said he would stay if Kane needed him.

We..."

Thanks for that information. It helps to know the backstory.

message 27: by Jonetta (new) - added it

You’re welcome!

Linda R, Jonetta wrote: "As I suspected, this is one of those series that started with a standalone book that developed into additional connected books and the series was formed. Here’s a link to the author’s website that explains the genesis of the series in more detail."

Yes, thanks for digging up that article. It just shows that what makes sense in a writer's mind and in her plans can translate into confusion for the reader. I am going to read Out of the Shadows finally just to get the Bishop story.

message 29: by Linda R, (last edited Aug 15, 2018 07:39PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Linda R, Sharon wrote: "I loved this book until the end. That was just too far out there for me."

I liked the ending at first, but the more it settled with me the more I kept questioning the story. I began to see plot holes that I had just glossed over while reading, assuming all would fall in place in the end. Now the ending seems cruel to me, not uplifting. It was a gimmick that the rest of the story lead up to but I have now soured on that ending. Shame because it made me put off reading the 3rd book, Out of the Shadows, right away and I started another book instead.

I'm still not quite finished so can't comment on the ending yet. But I can say I feel better about Bishop's role in this having read the author's explanation. As I'm reading now, I feel I can better understand her intent with Bishop actually being a support character, not the main character in each book. I'll have to see how I feel after I read the ending.

I finished. I'm not a fan of the ending. I really question why the author decided to go this way.

Linda R, Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "I finished. I'm not a fan of the ending. I really question why the author decided to go this way."

You too? I think it was a gimmick idea she had for an ending and then wrote a story around it. But the circumstance doesn't grow naturally from character of the protagonist. It just doesn't feel right. What did Jonetta think of the ending?

message 33: by Jonetta (new) - added it

I haven’t read it.

Just a reminder this is now a Spoiler Zone! Beware of spoilers if you've not read this book.

I think some will like it as the perfect solution to Kane's issue of falling in love with another woman so quickly after losing Dinah. And, it continues the author's paranormal theme. But, for me, it feels more like a cop-out. It actually dampened my overall enjoyment of the book. I went into this one thinking i'd probably like it more than book 1, but I didn't.

I do, however, have a much better feel for Bishop & the author's use of his character in the series. And in spite of being disappointed in this book, I do plan to read book 3 because I want to get Bishop's story which apparently is revealed in the next one.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2416 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "Just a reminder this is now a Spoiler Zone! Beware of spoilers if you've not read this book.

I think some will like it as the perfect solution to Kane's issue of falling in love with another woman..."

I agree with you Sandra. I loved the book until that Dinah/Faith thing. It changed the way I feel about the characters. Also, to me, it seems that Bishop should have sensed something since he is so sensitive and a good friend.

I will read the next book too. I want to know more about Bishop's story.

Linda R, Can we nominate Out of the Shadows Out of the Shadows (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #3; Shadows #3) by Kay Hooper for book of the month in September?

Linda R, wrote: "Can we nominate Out of the Shadows Out of the Shadows (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #3; Shadows #3) by Kay Hooper for book of the month in September?"

It's not eligible as a Book of the Month. However, for anyone who'd like to continue & read it, we'll discuss it right here in this thread.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2416 comments I picked it up at the library. I'm going to read it. I need to know Bishop's story

I do too, Sharon. I plan to read it when I can.

Linda R, Sharon wrote: "I picked it up at the library. I'm going to read it. I need to know Bishop's story"

I've started it. I think it is better. Bishop is still mysterious but better drawn than in the other books. Good secondary characters too.

Good to know! Thanks, Linda.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2416 comments Lord have mercy! Getting Bishop's backstory is like pulling teeth. It is frustrating in a good way. Every time I think Bishop or Miranda will spill they back away.

Linda R, Sharon wrote: "Lord have mercy! Getting Bishop's backstory is like pulling teeth. It is frustrating in a good way. Every time I think Bishop or Miranda will spill they back away."

I hear ya!

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2416 comments I finished book three the ending is a little strange but I like it better than book 2. I like Bishop a lot more now. I also see that the series is more fantasy/paranormal than ESP. Knowing that the idea came to her from Dark Shadows allows me to appreciate the characters more. Although I enjoyed the strangeness watching the TV show more than reading.

Good to hear you liked it better, Sharon. I plan to read it but it'll be a bit later.

message 46: by Linda R, (last edited Aug 24, 2018 09:51PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Linda R, I'm only half way through Out of the Shadows (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #3; Shadows #3) by Kay Hooper . I got sidetracked by reading Harry Bosch from the beginning, I just finished The Black Ice
The Black Ice (Harry Bosch, #2; Harry Bosch Universe, #2) by Michael Connelly so I will go back and finish Out of the Shadows now. I like OOTS the most of the 3 Kay Hooper books so far.

message 47: by Linda R, (last edited Aug 25, 2018 03:26AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Linda R, Sharon wrote: "I finished book three the ending is a little strange but I like it better than book 2. I like Bishop a lot more now. I also see that the series is more fantasy/paranormal than ESP. Knowing that the..."

Finished Out of the Shadows. Yes we seemed to have entered fantasy/sci fi territory with the rest of the series now. Bishop's group is a sort of counter-X files. They don't search for psychics. They are psychics. It was a good story though.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2416 comments Linda R, wrote: "Sharon wrote: "I finished book three the ending is a little strange but I like it better than book 2. I like Bishop a lot more now. I also see that the series is more fantasy/paranormal than ESP. K..."

Agree. Although I read the 14 or 15th book in the series before I realized it was part of a series. I don't remember it being so out there. I'll continue to pick up more of these when I see them in the library.

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 208 comments Sorry I didn't come back to say how much I enjoyed Stealing Shadows but I did enjoy the book. It was my first time reading from this author and definitely going to continue with the series. I am actually waiting for the next book to come. Its funny how every time I find a new author to read that the books are out. LOL