YA Addicted Book Club discussion

Past Monthly Reads > AUGUST BOTM - The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (last edited Jul 30, 2018 05:38AM) (new)

Kayleigh {K-Books} (kayley_12) | 1883 comments Mod
Hey Guys,
I am so thrilled to say that 73 of your voted for the August book of the month. I am so happy so many of you get involved.

Well without further adieu, the August book of the month is...
The Darkest Minds (The Darkest Minds, #1) by Alexandra Bracken

When Ruby woke up on her tenth birthday, something about her had changed. Something frightening enough to make her parents lock her in the garage and call the police. Something that got her sent to Thurmond, a brutal government “rehabilitation camp.” She might have survived the mysterious disease that had killed most of America’s children, but she and the others emerged with something far worse: frightening abilities they could not control.

Now sixteen, Ruby is one of the dangerous ones. When the truth comes out, Ruby barely escapes Thurmond with her life. She is on the run, desperate to find the only safe haven left for kids like her—East River. She joins a group of kids who have escaped their own camp. Liam, their brave leader, is falling hard for Ruby. But no matter how much she aches for him, Ruby can’t risk getting close. Not after what happened to her parents. When they arrive at East River, nothing is as it seems, least of all its mysterious leader. But there are other forces at work, people who will stop at nothing to use Ruby in their fight against the government. Ruby will be faced with a terrible choice, one that may mean giving up her only chance at having a life worth living.

We will be starting this one on August 1st. Let me know if you're going to be joining in :)

message 2: by Liliana, YA Paranormal Lover (new)

Liliana (lililostinabook) | 2208 comments Mod
Oooh just in time for the movie! I might join in... This one has been on my tbr list for a while and this is the perfect time to read it!

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments YAY!!!!! I wanted to re-read this anyway before I saw the movie:)

message 4: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

I'm super happy that this has been chosen as I've already started it. I started reading it before I went to London :)

message 5: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Hi Ananya,
I hope you see you for the chat once people have started the book :)

message 6: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Who is taking part this month? I got a bit of a head start as I'd started to listen to the audiobook last month but as I don't have time to listen to them often, I decided to switch to reading the physical book. I'm just over 200 pages in and I'm really enjoying it so far.
Chapter 13 Spoiler (view spoiler)

message 7: by Yare (last edited Aug 01, 2018 02:33PM) (new)

Yare Espinoza | 39 comments Alexandra Bracken........is going to be at my local public library tomorrow but I work!!!!!

WHY!!!!!

message 8: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Oh my god Yare. I feel you. Every time there’s an amazing signing on near me I’m always at work too

message 9: by Yare (new)

Yare Espinoza | 39 comments I am going to join.

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments Yare wrote: "Alexandra Bracken........is going to be at my local public library tomorrow but I work!!!!!

WHY!!!!!"

OOOHHHHH!!! so lucky!!!!

message 11: by Yare (new)

Yare Espinoza | 39 comments heather wrote: "Yare wrote: "Alexandra Bracken........is going to be at my local public library tomorrow but I work!!!!!

WHY!!!!!"

OOOHHHHH!!! so lucky!!!!"

I'm trying to get off from work early so I can go.

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments Yare wrote: "heather wrote: "Yare wrote: "Alexandra Bracken........is going to be at my local public library tomorrow but I work!!!!!

WHY!!!!!"

OOOHHHHH!!! so lucky!!!!"

I'm trying to get off from work earl..."

YEESSS!!! You do not want to miss it!

message 13: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Ive finished reading it. Absolutely loved it. I have an arc I need to read next but I will definitely be continuing with the series straight away after that.

Look out in the coming week for some discussion questions etc for when everyone starts reading it.

message 14: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Week 1 Discussion Questions

1. What are your thoughts about the dystopia setting?

2. What are your thoughts on Ruby?

3. How do you feel about the pacing? Is it keeping you interested?

message 15: by Yare (new)

Yare Espinoza | 39 comments Is there reading time table for the book?

I'm new to the group, so I'm not sure if there is a set one for all the BOTM.

message 16: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Hi Yare,
No there's no reading timetable. If you are participating in the group read as long as you read it within the month :)

message 17: by Yare (new)

Yare Espinoza | 39 comments Kayleigh {K-Books} wrote: "Hi Yare,
No there's no reading timetable. If you are participating in the group read as long as you read it within the month :)"

Ok great thank you for letting me know.

message 18: by Yare (new)

Yare Espinoza | 39 comments Week 1 Discussion Questions

1. What are your thoughts about the dystopia setting?
(view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

message 19: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Thanks for taking part in the discussion. I am glad to hear you are enjoying it so far.

(view spoiler)

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments 1. What are your thoughts about the dystopia setting?
(view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

message 21: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Thanks for joining Heather.
I totally agree with all of your answers. I really enjoyed the whole book. I'm actually now about 30% into book 2.

What chapter/page/percentage is everyone up to so far?

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments I am guessing at this but I think I am at about page 300?

message 23: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Wow that's pretty far. Good going. Although it's quite a thick book (at least for me as most books I read are usually between 300-400 pages and this one is over 500) I found myself reading it really quickly. I couldn't put it down.

message 24: by Yare (new)

Yare Espinoza | 39 comments Kayleigh {K-Books} wrote: "Thanks for joining Heather.
I totally agree with all of your answers. I really enjoyed the whole book. I'm actually now about 30% into book 2.

What chapter/page/percentage is everyone up to so far?"

I'm about 23% into the book. ( I wanted to get farther a long this past weekend but my daughter is teething and it was a bad weekend for her.)

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments Yare wrote: "Kayleigh {K-Books} wrote: "Thanks for joining Heather.

What chapter/page/percenta..."

Oh! The joys of motherhood:) I remember those days. Sometimes, there is nothing that can satisfy them and you feel so helpless.

message 26: by Yare (new)

Yare Espinoza | 39 comments She is my first so it's defiantly a learning curve for me.

message 27: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Aww bless her heart. I hope she (and you) are surviving the teething.

message 28: by heather - NightlyReading (last edited Aug 07, 2018 06:22AM) (new)

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments I am getting closer to the end of the book! I just got to the part where (view spoiler)

message 29: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Yes!! (view spoiler)

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments Kayleigh {K-Books} wrote: "Yes!! [spoilers removed]"

I completely agree!

message 31: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Who has been reading The Darkest Minds this month?
How far through the book are you?
We're almost halfway through the month, so would be nice to see a bit more discussion going on.

Remember, if you've taken part and added a discussion, you're up for a giveaway for an amazon GC or your choice of a book from The Book Depository.

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments I FINISHED!!!

(view spoiler)

This book was awesome! I loved the ending and it had me on the edge of my seat!

message 33: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

I am so happy you liked it Heather. I really enjoyed it too. I actually loved book 2 even more than the first one as well.

(view spoiler)

Munazzah (Mu-nuz-zah) Sheikh (shay-kh) | 1 comments II finished the book! And it was awesome!! In fact, I also read the next novella, In Time, and I loved it even more. I swear if the movie won’t turn out to be as good as the book, I’ll be SSO DISAPPOINTED.

Also, I hate Ruby for doing that to Liam in the end. She didn’t have to! What do you guys say?

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments Munazzah (Mu-nuz-zah) wrote: "II finished the book! And it was awesome!! In fact, I also read the next novella, In Time, and I loved it even more. I swear if the movie won’t turn out to be as good as the book, I’ll be SSO DISAP..."

I agree! I was so sad for Liam but I understand why she did it. She was trying to protect him because she loves him.

I also agree that it was a great book!

message 36: by Yare (new)

Yare Espinoza | 39 comments I'm almost done with book, I need about 100 pages left.

message 37: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Glad you enjoyed. I really loved the movie. It’s a faithful adaptation. Really good.

I was angry with Ruby too but I’ve just finished reading the third book in the series and what a great ending.

message 38: by Yare (new)

Yare Espinoza | 39 comments Kayleigh {K-Books} wrote: "Glad you enjoyed. I really loved the movie. It’s a faithful adaptation. Really good.

I was angry with Ruby too but I’ve just finished reading the third book in the series and what a great ending."

Was the move really good? I was reading that it did not do the book justice?

message 39: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

I personally think it did. It’s a very faithful adaptation.

message 40: by Yare (new)

Yare Espinoza | 39 comments Kayleigh {K-Books} wrote: "I personally think it did. It’s a very faithful adaptation."

I want to go see it, but when I see movies based on books I read I feel disappointed.

message 41: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

It was one of the first ones I've seen where I was really happy with it.

message 42: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 4 comments I have to stop at the book store and pick this one up, but it has been on my TBR list for a while. So excited to finally read and discuss this book!

message 43: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Hi Ashley. Very happy to have you joining us. Hope you enjoy the book. I’m here ready to chat 😊

message 44: by Yare (new)

Yare Espinoza | 39 comments why does the slip give my the Heebie-jeebies? When Ruby was showing some interest I was screaming at her in my head!

message 45: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Hi all, thanks for taking part in The Darkest Minds read this month. It was a little quieter than usual but that's probably due to the amazing summer we've all been having.

The winner of the book/amazon giftcard is Yare. Well done. I will be adding this in the message that I will send around later. Let me know which you would prefer and I can get that sorted :)

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments Congrats Yare!!

message 47: by Yare (new)

Yare Espinoza | 39 comments Kayleigh {K-Books} wrote: "Hi all, thanks for taking part in The Darkest Minds read this month. It was a little quieter than usual but that's probably due to the amazing summer we've all been having.

The winner of the book/..."

Awww Thanks!!! I would prefer the gift card. :)

message 48: by Yare (new)

Yare Espinoza | 39 comments heather wrote: "Congrats Yare!!"

Thanks!!!

message 49: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Hi Yare,
If you send me a DM we can sort it out :)