Great American Read List discussion

To Kill a Mockingbird
This topic is about To Kill a Mockingbird
Members' Progress > Trina's Bookshelf

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trina (last edited Aug 28, 2018 02:48PM) (new) - added it

Trina  (trinanycolbrown) I should have read To Kill a Mockingbird by now but I've just started reading this today and I'm super excited!

I've already read:
1. Alex Cross Mysteries
2. Pride and Prejudice
3. The DaVinci Code
4. Gone Girl
5. The Handmade's Tale
6. Fifty Shades of Grey

This year I want to read:

1984 by George Orwell A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables, #1) by L.M. Montgomery The Book Thief by Markus Zusak Gilead (Gilead, #1) by Marilynne Robinson

message 2: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Jul 30, 2018 06:07PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lavan Zerach | 498 comments Mod
Here to give you an official welcome to the Great American Read List group and thank you for creating a personal bookshelf, Trina!

To Kill a Mockingbird is one of those books that I think I read long ago, but I'm not certain so I haven't marked it as read. I know I've seen parts of the 1962 movie adaptation (when someone else was watching and I was in and out of the room), but not the entire movie.

I think this novel will be among the top 3 when PBS announces a winner October 23ʳᵈ. It's one of those classics that nearly everyone has read and of those that have it's left a powerful, lasting impression.

By the way, I hadn't thought to edit my bookshelf to include the list book I'm currently reading in the "this topic is about" box as you have, but I will utilize it from now on!

message 3: by Trina (new) - added it

Trina  (trinanycolbrown) Thanks for the warm welcome Lavan! I’m sorry excited about the list.

My best friend is always riding me about not reading To Kill a Mockingbird. I think I read it in HS but can’t remember. Also, I didn’t know Go Set a Watchman was its sequel! Excited to read that one as well.

message 4: by Lavan, moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

My pleasure Trina, and I'm happy to hear that!

I didn't know about Go Set a Watchman either. I thought To Kill a Mockingbird was a stand-alone until I typed THE LIST and sorted all of the list books according to stand-alone novels and book series. I was pleasantly surprised. Let us know your thoughts on To Kill a Mockingbird, please!

Toni Gary Actually I think Watchman was written before Mockingbird, and some believe it may have been a first draft. But it was published later. Sometimes it’s referred to as a companion novel. I personally disliked it, and I’m a big fan of Mockingbird.

Bethany | 123 comments Yeah, I am not going to read Watchman. Reportedly, Harper Lee didn't want to publish the draft, but her lawyers decided to go ahead and publish it anyway. Supposedly, in this novel, Atticus Finch is actually a huge racist. Kind of kills the message of the original.

Parker | 57 comments Toni wrote: "Actually I think Watchman was written before Mockingbird, and some believe it may have been a first draft. But it was published later. Sometimes it’s referred to as a companion novel. I personally ..."

It was written before "Mockingbird" and her publishers talked her into completely rewriting the novel from Scout's POV as a child.

I enjoyed "Watchman". I think it tells two important stories: the first, one can be a racist and still uphold legal ideals, and two, our parents are not always who we think them to be. We can still admire them, and be grateful for all they've given us, but I think as we get older, we stop so much of the hero (and heroine) worship and see our parents for themselves.

What didn't you like about it, Toni?

message 8: by Lavan, moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Parker wrote: "Toni wrote: "Actually I think Watchman was written before Mockingbird, and some believe it may have been a first draft. But it was published later. Sometimes it’s referred to as a companion novel. ..."

I was nodding my head in agreement and smiling ear to ear while reading your comment, Parker. I always enjoy your positive feedback and appreciate your observations!

I have no opinion of Go Set a Watchman as I've not read it yet, but now I'm more curious if I'll like it or not. Time will tell.

message 9: by Trina (new) - added it

Trina  (trinanycolbrown) Thanks guys, I really appreciate that information. Audible has it listed as book #2 and I was wondering. I have it on my TBR list. Do you guys plan to read it?

Parker | 57 comments I've read it several times, and really like it. (I've also seen the movie several times). I wouldn't mind reading it again.

message 11: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Aug 03, 2018 06:51AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I will definitely read To Kill a Mockingbird and Go Set a Watchman, probably when they're chosen as our group read book series, but possibly before as the former is also on another list that I'm working my way through.

I'm looking forward to your thoughts on both books, Trina!

message 12: by Toni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Toni Gary The reason I didn’t like Watchman was just disappointment. Mockingbird has always been a favorite of mine, and Watchman is nothing like it-I wanted Scout to be more developed. Watchman read like an early draft of a novel, IMO.

Parker | 57 comments Toni, that's exactly what it was. It's not nearly as finished as Mockingbird.

I'm of two minds...on the one hand, I think the story is interesting. On the other, I wish for a more completed novel.