Siddhartha Siddhartha discussion

Philosophical change or a distraction?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lovleen (new)

Lovleen Kaur In the first half of the novel, we learned that Siddhartha wishes to learn from experiences. His words to the Budha are clear about his approach to life.
“here is one thing that this clear, worthy instruction does not contain; it does not contain the secret of what the Illustrious One himself experienced—he alone among hundreds of thousands. That is what I thought and realized when I heard your teachings. That is why I am going on my way—not to seek another doctrine, for I know there is none, but to leave all doctrines and all teachers and to reach my goal alone—or die”

In the second half of the book, Siddhartha accepts Kamala as his teacher. He wishes to learn the art of love from her and even changes himself to better match her standards.

Why did he let Kamala be his teacher if he had previously refused the Budha of becoming his teacher? Did Siddhartha have a philosophical change of mind or was he distracted from his goal? What other reasons justify his decisions?

wlf27 From my point of view, that is the journey of buddha.
First: Idealization of teachings (In his palace).
Second: Trying to apply that teachings He misinterpret it in a material way.
Third part of the book: The begining of wisdom.

Kathleen Burns I always loved reading Hesse. He was a real thinker. Loved Damian and this book. I really enjoyed his writing. Read it in English. Only German I know is contained in the English language and there is plenty of it.

Sonny I do not think a person can ever experience true wisdom without having experienced the passion of love.