Great Middle Grade Reads discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE - BOTM discussions > What shall we read for SEPTEMBER? - POLL NOW UP!

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jemima (new)

Jemima Pett | 1350 comments Mod
Yes, I know I'm a bit early, but with vacations and all, better early than late, I reckon.

To be clear, you need to nominate books during August (before August 15th), so that I can set up the voting thread and we finish that in time to start reading in September.

Please nominate books that are easy to find at reasonable prices or free, e.g. in libraries. This means limiting them to traditionally published books that have been out long enough to be in most libraries.

The THEME THIS MONTH is... BOARDING SCHOOLS

That's a suggestion that came up last year and I didn't use... but it seems appropriate for 'back to school' month.

You can nominate up to THREE, but if we get a load of nominations I will cut it down to only two per person (or less if we're swamped!)

As many boarding school stories start at the first year of the protagonist, let's make it your favourite in the series, rather than having to start with the first year.

message 2: by C.J. (new)

C.J. Milbrandt (cjmilbrandt) | 127 comments Mod
I'll nominate one boarding school book that I have read, The Iron Trial (Magesterium, #1) by Holly Black and Cassandra Clare, which is a recent favorite series for me. And one boarding school book that I'd love to read, Murder Most Unladylike by Robin Stevens. These mysteries look like they're right up my alley.

The Iron Trial (Magisterium, #1) by Holly Black Murder Most Unladylike (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #1) by Robin Stevens

message 6: by Jemima (new)

Sorry, I did have to remove Helen’s book, even though it’s on my list, too. Maybe I’ll throw in an extra indie author pick in this year, otherwise it’ll have to wait to be nominated in February or March.

message 7: by Helen (new)

Helen Laycock (helenlaycock) | 128 comments No problem, Jemima!

message 8: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Douglass (rdouglass) | 1662 comments Mod
All of these are at the library except the Twins at St. Clare's. That one is on Amazon from $4 for the Kindle down to a couple of bucks for a used paperback or up to megabucks for a 1st edition hardback :)

I'd love to nominate the Sue Barton books, which I dearly loved as a kid, but they aren't in most libraries anymore, and are expensive if you can find them at all.

message 9: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 299 comments Rebecca wrote: "All of these are at the library except the Twins at St. Clare's. That one is on Amazon from $4 for the Kindle down to a couple of bucks for a used paperback or up to megabucks for a 1st edition har..."

Yes, so many classic school and college stories collectible and ridiculously expensive.

message 10: by Harley (new)

Harley Bennett | 84 comments C.J. wrote: "I'll nominate one boarding school book that I have read, The Iron Trial (Magesterium, #1) by Holly Black and Cassandra Clare, which is a recent favorite series for me. And one board..."

Murder Most Unladylike was published in the US as Murder Is Bad Manners. Good choice. I am ready to read it again.

message 11: by Jemima (last edited Aug 03, 2018 02:40AM) (new)

I loved Jolly Foul Play, which is the fourth in the Murder most Unladylike series. I read it first and would have nominated it if you hadn't. I'll leave the nomination on the first one.

Note that my library refuses to shelve it in Children's because of the word 'murder'. Despite my objections to them, they persist. OTOH they have now taken off the totally unsuitable 'Pythonesque Shakespeare' (title forgotten) which was full of very rude words and bawdy sex :)

That's five books so far.

I think I'll add The Dragonfly Pool by Eva Ibbotson. I got hold of it in the last five years, so I hope it's accessible where you are.

message 12: by Rebecca (new)

Dragonfly Pool is in my library :)

I like the Wells and Wong series. I've only read the 1st 2, so I might re-read if it's chosen, or I might go on to #3.

Did we ever read Princess Academy? I think I remember it being nominated. I read it several years ago and was pleasantly surprised to find it very good; not at all pink and glittery.

message 13: by Rebecca (new)

Okay, stopped being lazy. We have not read Princess Academy, so that's good.

message 14: by Paula (new)

Paula S (paula_s) I was surprised that I didn't find any Harry Potter on the read shelf. Maybe everyone has already read it, but it's a favorite, so I nominate Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

message 15: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 299 comments Paula wrote: "I was surprised that I didn't find any Harry Potter on the read shelf. Maybe everyone has already read it, but it's a favorite, so I nominate Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone"

I was toying with nominating the Harry Potter series but then decided to nominate books not as universally known.

message 16: by Rebecca (new)

Yeah, I think we figure that everyone has read Harry Potter. But it might be interesting to have a formal discussion of the book.

message 17: by Jemima (new)

That's eight nominations.

message 18: by Mark (new)

Mark Buxton (buxtonm) | 10 comments I also enjoyed The Iron Trials. It had a Harry Potter feel to it in a totally different setting.

message 19: by Rebecca (new)

The Iron Trial

It's in my library, print and digital.

message 21: by Harley (last edited Aug 08, 2018 10:35AM) (new)

Harley Bennett | 84 comments I nominate Mandie and the Secret Tunnel by Lois Gladys Leppard. I am not sure about availability.

message 22: by Jemima (new)

That's 10. The Iron Trial was the first one nominated!

message 23: by Rebecca (new)

The School for Good and Evil is in the library.

Mandie might be harder to get, though Amazon lists used paperbacks for cheap.

message 24: by SaraKat (new)

SaraKat | 161 comments Mod
I have The Mysterious Benedict Society on my to-read list. The children chosen have to infiltrate a school for the gifted.

message 25: by Jemima (new)

We read The Mysterious Benedict Society in January 2016. I think we'll have to wait a while before we can stick it in the poll again.

But I too have it on my to-read list, Sarakat, since I didn't have time to read it then!

message 26: by SaraKat (new)

SaraKat | 161 comments Mod
Jemima wrote: "We read The Mysterious Benedict Society in January 2016. I think we'll have to wait a while before we can stick it in the poll again.

But I too have it on my to-read list, Sarakat, since I didn't ..."

Ah, I joined after that and didn't think to check the list. Thanks for letting me know!

message 27: by Jemima (new)

Last call before we close nominations and start voting. Mind you, ten is probably enough!

message 28: by Manybooks (last edited Aug 14, 2018 05:28PM) (new)

Manybooks | 299 comments Alright, this is a fourth nomination for me and totally fun, Gordon Korman's first novel, and one he actually wrote as a teenager for a school project (first of a series).

This Can't Be Happening at MacDonald Hall!

message 29: by Jemima (last edited Aug 15, 2018 02:58PM) (new)

Nominations closed.

The poll is now up and running. It closes at midnight on August 23rd, so you should be able to get the results on 24th and order your books with a week to spare, bearing in mind you might have a holiday weekend around then.

If it looks like we're heading for a large tie, I'll halt it early and do a run off. If there are just two (or three) in a tie, I'll do my casting vote.

The poll is here:
https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 30: by Jemima (last edited Aug 24, 2018 02:19PM) (new)

And the winner, with 20% of the vote (which was well spread over the ten nominations), is...

The School for Good and Evil The School for Good and Evil (The School for Good and Evil, #1) by Soman Chainani

It looks intriguing to me! I'll put the comment thread up at the beginning of the month.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.