Linda Howard Book Junkies discussion

Double Standards
This topic is about Double Standards
Non-Linda Books of the Month > August '18 Everything Else BOTM - Double Standards

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tanvi, Moderator-in-Training ;) (new)

Tanvi (trwriteratwork) | 1121 comments Mod
In the exclusive, glittering world of business superstars, Nick Sinclair was a legend...

The ruggedly handsome president of Global Industries handled his business the way he handled his women -- with charm, daring and ruthless self-control. A man used to the very best, Nick hired Lauren Danner, and assumed the proud beauty would soon be another easy conquest. But Lauren's flashing wit and rare spirit dazzled him -- and slowly, against his will, he was intrigued, challenged -- and in love.

Yet Lauren was living a lie, a charade that became more dangerous with every passing moment. Trapped in a web of deceit, she fought her growing love for Nick. Her secret could destroy his fragile trust -- and the promise of life with the most compelling man she had ever met!

message 2: by Eve (last edited Jul 30, 2018 03:51AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eve (everf) | 816 comments Title: Double Standards
Author: Judith McNaught
Year of Publication: 1984
Page Count: 310 Pages
Genre: Romance, Fiction
Characters: Lauren Danner, Nick Sinclair

I think its kind of funny to read chick lit from more than 30 years ago. Back then bosses had secretaries who had stenographic skills and used a typewriter. 80s was pre smartphones and Facebook era :D It was also time when sexual harrasment in the office was not so openly spoken. Competitors were trying to spy on others and outbit them (something that is still actual ;) ). .

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1597 comments Judith McNaught is one of my favorite authors. Her books can have a high angst level at times but she is a terrific writer.

message 4: by Eve (last edited Jul 30, 2018 11:32PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eve (everf) | 816 comments I have read several JMN books and I really enjoyed them. Love her angsty books. Double Standards is no exception.

BTW: It was such an exciting news that there will be new upcoming book in October 2018, called The Sweetest Thing. But actually its reworked version of Double Exposure: From A Gift of Love

Synopsis of Double Exposure:
Stepsisters Corey and Diana Foster run "Foster's Beautiful Living" magazine -- Diana handles the business side of things, and Corey organizes the gorgeous photo layouts that the magazine is known for. When Diana arranges a photo shoot for the "perfect wedding," Corey is reunited with an old flame -- and a chance for romance to spark again. An enchanting tale of romance from the incomparable Judith McNaught, "Double Exposure" shows us yet again that love is the greatest gift of all.

THE SWEETEST THING:
Corey Foster is the young creative genius and vision behind Foster's Beautiful Living magazine and the enormous Foster lifestyle empire. While her stepsister Diana handles the business side of things, Corey is responsible for the distinctive look of the magazine. She is just beginning work on the pilot episode of their first wedding-based reality TV show when Diana lands the rights for them to film one of the most glamorous weddings of the year. But there's a pretty big catch--the weekend will reunite Corey with an old flame. The one who got away. The one who incinerated her heart several years before.

But she's halfway through with book that’s called The Wonder of Us. It is the modern-day version of the Westmoreland Dynasty.

Check out an interview with Judith McNaught.
https://ew.com/books/2018/06/07/judit...

Judy | 761 comments Judith McNaught is one of my favorite authors, too. I hadn't read this book before, so was glad that it was picked as a BOTM. I enjoyed it. It is very representative of the romance reads of that time period and was McNaught's second book to be published (1984). Nora Roberts published her first book in 1981 and Linda Howard in 1982, so they all got their start at about the same time. I consider all of them to be prolific writers.

message 6: by Eve (last edited Aug 16, 2018 11:45AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eve (everf) | 816 comments Glad you got a chance to read it Judy :)
Have to check out JMN's first book Tender Triumph
PS: its admirable that Nora Roberts and Linda Howard still have motivation to write new books.

message 7: by Anita (last edited Sep 22, 2018 10:52AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1597 comments Late getting this ebook from the library. Of course, I couldn't be bothered reading it from the paperback I've got. LOL! Angst and alpha A-Hole hero, Judith McNaught style and I do mean style. Very few authors can make me swallow that combination, but JMN has such a flair and real style that I'm reading it and waiting to see what Lauren does to that Jerk, Nick.

message 8: by Eve (last edited Sep 22, 2018 11:01PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eve (everf) | 816 comments Anita, better later than never ;)
Nick was perfect example of A-Hole hero, living by double standards. That kind of guys seemed to be norm in the 80s romance book :D

message 9: by Eve (last edited Sep 23, 2018 01:00AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eve (everf) | 816 comments BTW: The Sweetest Thing publication date was October 2018, now its January 2019. This is reworked version of years ago published book, and even then the publication date gets delayed and delayed...

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1597 comments I noticed that! What the what? This is not a new book. It is just a re-issue of previously published material.