Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon discussion

For the Blogless > Rachida's Read-A-Thon Progress

Comments Showing 1-50 of 119 (119 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Rachida (new)

Rachida | 92 comments Hi! I'm so excited! And also very tired since the Reverse Readathon started at 2am here lol.

message 2: by Rachida (new)

Rachida | 92 comments OPENING SURVEY

1. What fine part of the world are you reading from today?
The Netherlands :)

2. Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to?
I really want to finish Let It Snow. Especially with the heat wave here I need something to remind me of the wonderful magic that is the snow.

3. Which snack are you most looking forward to?
Delicious ice cold smoothies!

4. Tell us a little something about yourself!
- I love playing the piano but I never learned to read sheet music
- I'm a huge Marvel nerd
- Bounty chocolates are my life
- I'm one of the few lucky people who learned to make Argan oil. A technique passed through generations in Morocco. It has so many health benefits that it's also known as "the liquid gold" (yes I'm very proud of my heritage).

5. This is our VERY first Reverse Readathon! How does it feel in your time zone?
It begins at 2am in my time zone, which is not the best time to start anything other than dreaming. But that's just me lol.

message 3: by Jana (new)

Jana Eichhorn | 165 comments Oh man, you couldn't get me to start ANYTHING at 2 am - way to go! Happy reading!!

message 4: by Rachida (new)

Rachida | 92 comments Jana wrote: "Oh man, you couldn't get me to start ANYTHING at 2 am - way to go! Happy reading!!"

Thank you! I'm pretty proud of myself haha.

message 5: by Rachida (last edited Jul 29, 2018 02:24AM) (new)

Rachida | 92 comments TRACKING

Hour 1 (2am)
Let It Snow by John Green - 58 pages

Hour 2 (3am)
Let It Snow - 26 pages

Hour 3 (4am)
Let It Snow - 40 pages

Hour 4 (5am)
Let It Snow - 17 pages - Finished
That was a pretty fun read! The book was fast-paced but I read sooo slow. I really need to sleep now!

Hour 5 - 8 = Sleep

Hour 9 (10am)
When Allah Made Malcolm X Smile The Man, The Minister, The Shining Black Prince by Raymond Sturgis - 120 pages - Finished

Hour 10 - 12 = Life

Hour 13 (2pm)
To All the Boys I've Loved Before (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #1) by Jenny Han - 23 pages

Hour 14 (3pm)
To All the Boys I've Loved Before - 55 pages

Hour 15 (4pm)
To All the Boys I've Loved Before - 31 pages

Hour 16 - 21 = Life

Hour 22 (11pm)
Captain Marvel, Volume 1 In Pursuit of Flight by Kelly Sue DeConnick - 136 pages

Hour 23 - 24 = Sleep

Total: 506 pages

message 6: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1761 comments *Rachida wrote: "2. Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to?
I really want to finish Let It Snow. Especially with the heat wave here I need something to remind me of the wonderful magic that is the snow..."

It was a cute book! Light and fluffy!

"5. This is our VERY first Reverse Readathon! How does it feel in your time zone?
It begins at 2am in my time zone, which is not the best time to start anything other than dreaming. But that's just me lol."

Props to you for starting at your starting time, I was definitely snoozing at 2am my time. lol.

"- I'm one of the few lucky people who learned to make Argan oil. A technique passed through generations in Morocco. It has so many health benefits that it's also known as "the liquid gold" (yes I'm very proud of my heritage)."

That is so cool!! Argan oil is awesome stuff, so useful and good for you inside and out. Do you cook with it too?

Good luck!

message 7: by Rachida (new)

Rachida | 92 comments Elyse wrote: "*Rachida wrote: "2. Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to?
I really want to finish Let It Snow. Especially with the heat wave here I need something to remind me of the wonderful ..."

I really need more light and fluffy books! It’s too hot to focus on a fantasy lol. And recommendations?😁

Thank you! I had no distractions whatsoever so it was totally worth it haha.

No it shouldn’t really be used for high temperature cooking because it breaks down the important enzymes in the oil. I moslty use it for my salads and sometimes I’ll add a little to the rice. But I try not to use a lot because pure argan oil is pretty rare. If it weren’t for my mom who’s able to bring a little every year from her hometown, i’ll only be able to buy Argan that is diluted. After the hype started it’s legal to call it “pure” even if there’s only 10% Argan in it.

message 8: by Rachida (new)

Rachida | 92 comments MID-EVENT SURVEY

1. What are you reading right now?
To All the Boys I've Loved Before (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #1) by Jenny Han

2. How many books have you so far?
2: Let It Snow by John Green & When Allah Made Malcolm X Smile The Man, The Minister, The Shining Black Prince by Raymond Sturgis

3. Whatbook are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-Thon?
I want to read as much of To All the Boys I've Loved Before as possible. I’m a pretty slow reader so any progress would be great!

4. Have you had many interruptions? How did you deal with those?
I’m pretty good at staying away from chatty people today so no distractions for me :D Reading while everyone was sleeping also helped a lot lol

5. What surprises you most about the Reverse Readathon so far?
That we have a wonderful community❤️

message 9: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1761 comments You're off to a good start with light, fluffy books! To All The Boys is a great trilogy! And the Netflix movie looks adorable! Jenny Han, Morgan Matson, Jessi Kirby are great at light authors. Also The Selection series by Kiera Cass!

message 10: by Rachida (new)

Rachida | 92 comments Elyse wrote: "You're off to a good start with light, fluffy books! To All The Boys is a great trilogy! And the Netflix movie looks adorable! Jenny Han, Morgan Matson, Jessi Kirby are great at light authors. Also..."

Thank you! (My TBR just doubled in size lol)

message 11: by Rachida (new)

Rachida | 92 comments CLOSING SURVEY

1. Which hour was most daunting for you?
When I remembered I had other responsibilities lol.

2. Tell us ALLLLL the books you read!
Let It Snow by John Green & When Allah Made Malcolm X Smile The Man, The Minister, The Shining Black Prince by Raymond Sturgis & Captain Marvel, Volume 1 In Pursuit of Flight by Kelly Sue DeConnick & part of To All the Boys I've Loved Before (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #1) by Jenny Han

3. Which books would you recommend to other Read-a-thoners?
I really liked to read light past-paced books like Let it snow & To all the boys I've loved before. But I really wanted to take a break and read something else. So I would also recommend to read a comic book when you feel like that. Basically you should just read what makes you feel good. :) Like some people use readathons to start an intimidating book. That's also a great idea!

4. How did you feel about this first-ever Reverse Readathon? Should we do it again?
You should definitely do this again! It was so much fun!!

5. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? Would you be interested in volunteering to help organize and prep in October?
I'M IN!!!

message 12: by Rachida (new)

Rachida | 92 comments It's that time of the year again!! I have a lot to do this weekend but I still hope to get some reading done :D

message 13: by Rachida (last edited Oct 20, 2018 12:44PM) (new)

Rachida | 92 comments TRACKING

Hour 1 (2pm) - Helping my mom redecorate her living room
Hour 2 (3pm) - Helping my mom redecorate her living room
Hour 3 (4pm) - Helping my mom redecorate her living room
Hour 4 (5pm) - The Great Gatsby
Hour 5 (6pm) - Dinner
Hour 6 (7pm) - Exit West
Hour 7 (8pm) - Babysit
Hour 8 (9pm)
Hour 9 (10pm)
Hour 10 (11pm)
Hour 11 (12am)
Hour 12 (1am)
Hour 13 (2am)
Hour 14 (3am)
Hour 15 (4am)
Hour 16 (5am)
Hour 17 (6am)
Hour 18 (7am)
Hour 19 (8am)
Hour 20 (9am)
Hour 21 (10am)
Hour 22 (11am)
Hour 23 (12pm)
Hour 24 (1pm)

message 14: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1761 comments Welcome back! What are you planning to read?

message 15: by Rachida (last edited Oct 19, 2018 10:22AM) (new)

Rachida | 92 comments Elyse wrote: "Welcome back! What are you planning to read?"

Thank you! I have no idea yet! The only thing I can come up with is Captain Marvel vol 2 since I read vol 1 last readathon lol.
What are your reading plans?

Wait I'll check your thread :D

message 16: by Rachida (new)

Rachida | 92 comments BINGO

D
■Participate in 5 hourly post on Goodreads
■Read for a total of 8 hours
■Read 250 pages
■Post on the “Currently Reading” thread
■Read a book with a male protagonist

E1
■Read a short story or graphic novel or manga
■Eat a healthy snack
■Listen to 2 hours of an audio book
■Read 500 pages
■Read in 3 different Spots (one must be out of the House)

W
■Cheer on other readers for 30 minutes
■Read at least 100 pages of a physical book
■Read something you consider spooky (can be short)
■Do a 60 minute reading sprint

E2
■Read a book in a series
■Participate in 4 mini challenges
■Read a book with a beautiful cover
■Upload a picture on social media with #readathon
■Eat/Drink junk food

Y
■Read more than one book
■Read a book with a female protagonist
■Post on the “What’s On Your Plate” thread
■Get up and move around for 30 minutes
■Read a book with a person on the cover

message 17: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 74 comments Good luck!!

message 18: by Rachida (new)

Rachida | 92 comments Maddison wrote: "Good luck!!"

Thank you! <3

message 19: by Rachida (new)

Rachida | 92 comments OPENING SURVEY: Getting to Know You

The Netherlands

I honestly have no idea what to read omg :')

Oreoooooo!

I named my cat Loki :)

5. If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to?
Well I wish I was free the whole weekend so I could actually do some reading.. I just helped my mom redecorate her living room and now I that I'm home I have to make dinner, eat and hopefully read a bit before my nephew will be here. I'm babysitting :)

message 20: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1761 comments Rachida wrote: "5. If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to?
Well I wish I was free the whole weekend so I could actually do some reading.. I just helped my mom redecorate her living room and now I that I'm home I have to make dinner, eat and hopefully read a bit before my nephew will be here. I'm babysitting :)..."

How old is your nephew? Can he read with you or can you read to him? It all counts! ;) Good luck!

message 21: by Rachida (new)

Rachida | 92 comments Elyse wrote: "Rachida wrote: "5. If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to?
Well I wish I wa..."

He's 10 months old. It's actually a good idea to read to him! Thanks!

message 22: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1761 comments Rachida wrote: "He's 10 months old. It's actually a good idea to read to him! Thanks!..."

Awwww little!! I have a 1 y/o nephew and a 1.5 y/o niece! And older ones but two littles!

message 23: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) | 1031 comments Rachida wrote: "Well I wish I was free the whole weekend so I could actually do some reading.. I just helped my mom redecorate her living room and now I that I'm home I have to make dinner, eat and hopefully read a bit before my nephew will be here. I'm babysitting :).."

Greetings from the Netherlands!
Wishing you good luck with your reading & have fun babysitting!

message 24: by Rachida (new)

Rachida | 92 comments Susy wrote: "Rachida wrote: "Well I wish I was free the whole weekend so I could actually do some reading.. I just helped my mom redecorate her living room and now I that I'm home I have to make dinner, eat and..."

Hi!! Thank you!! How is your readathon going?? I hope better than mine lol. Good luck with the last few hours :)

message 25: by Rachida (new)

Rachida | 92 comments Elyse wrote: "Rachida wrote: "He's 10 months old. It's actually a good idea to read to him! Thanks!..."

Awwww little!! I have a 1 y/o nephew and a 1.5 y/o niece! And older ones but two littles!"

Ahh so cute! I love hanging out with all the little kids in my family. They say and do the funniest things :')

message 26: by Rachida (new)

Rachida | 92 comments I FAILED THIS READATHON SO HARD :')
Babysitting turned into a sleepover and I've been too tired to even pick up a book. I'm really sad I missed out on all the fun today but hopefully I can do this readathon (and bingo!) again soon when I'm free all day. Maybe I can even convince some people to join me lol.

message 27: by Angie (new)

Angie | 159 comments Rachida wrote: "I FAILED THIS READATHON SO HARD :')
Babysitting turned into a sleepover and I've been too tired to even pick up a book. I'm really sad I missed out on all the fun today but hopefully I can do this ..."

Dont' worry about it! Sometimes things just come up and mess with reading time.... there's always the next read-a-thon in spring! ;-)

message 28: by Rachida (new)

Rachida | 92 comments Thanks! I can't wait for the next one!

message 29: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1761 comments Great job, Rachida! Any reading is good! :) And there is always next time!

message 30: by Rachida (new)

Rachida | 92 comments Let's give it another shot lol.

message 31: by Rachida (last edited Aug 02, 2019 07:40PM) (new)

Rachida | 92 comments Bingo

■ Read a hyped book or rated 4 stars on GR = We Should All Be Feminists
■Wear something backwards =
■Read a book with an animal on the cover =
■Read 2 books = We Should All Be Feminists & De kleine prins

■Read under the covers =
■Read out loud (to your pet, friend, or yourself) =
■Share a food or drink recipe (GR, Twitter, IG) = 2 drink recipes "snacks and recipes" thread
■Read a book with no illustrations = We Should All Be Feminists

■Pick a TBR book blindfolded =
■Take a break and watch a TV show book adaptation =
■Read a book with your least favorite color on the cover = De kleine prins yellow
■Read when it's dark outside = We Should All Be Feminists

■Read a book that was free (borrowed, gifted, library etc.) =
■Read 250 pages =
■A book with a person's name in the title = De kleine prins
■Comment on a GR post = Hour 1, Snacks and Recipes

message 32: by Rachida (last edited Aug 02, 2019 07:29PM) (new)

Rachida | 92 comments Reverse readathon tracker

Start: Saturday August 3rd at 2am (02:00 uur)
End: Sunday August 4th at 1am (01:00 uur)

Hour 1 - Instagram, Twitter, Goodreads, We Should All Be Feminists
Hour 2 - Instagram, Twitter, Goodreads, We Should All Be Feminists (finished), De kleine prins
Hour 3 - Instagram, Twitter, De kleine prins (finished), Sleeping Giants
Hour 4 -
Hour 5 -
Hour 6 -
Hour 7 -
Hour 8 -
Hour 9 -
Hour 10 -
Hour 11 -
Hour 12 -
Hour 13 -
Hour 14 -
Hour 15 -
Hour 16 -
Hour 17 -
Hour 18 -
Hour 19 -
Hour 20 -
Hour 21 -
Hour 22 -
Hour 23 -
Hour 24 -

message 33: by Rachida (last edited Aug 02, 2019 07:28PM) (new)

Rachida | 92 comments TBR
A Game of Thrones The Graphic Novel, Volume Four by Daniel Abraham Saga, Vol. 3 by Brian K. Vaughan Paper Girls, Vol. 3 by Brian K. Vaughan We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie De kleine prins by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry Sleeping Giants (Themis Files, #1) by Sylvain Neuvel

A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel, Volume Four (208 pages, issues 19-24)
Saga, Vol. 3 (144 pages)
Paper Girls, Vol. 3 (128 pages)
We Should All Be Feminists (52 pages, 45m)
De kleine prins (95 pages, 1u)
Sleeping Giants (320 pages, 8,5u)

CURRENTLY READING
Sleeping Giants (Themis Files, #1) by Sylvain Neuvel

FINISHED
We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie De kleine prins by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

message 34: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 504 comments We Should All Be Feminists is perfect for Readathon. Short, but great. Good luck!

message 35: by Rachida (new)

Rachida | 92 comments Ann A wrote: "We Should All Be Feminists is perfect for Readathon. Short, but great. Good luck!"

Thanks!! Hope it's good :)

message 36: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1761 comments Sagaaaaa ❤❤❤

message 37: by Rachida (last edited Oct 25, 2019 12:16PM) (new)

Rachida | 92 comments DEWEY'S 24 HOUR READATHON
Oct 26 2019 14u - Oct 27 2019 14u

http://www.24hourreadathon.com/

TO DO
- Babysit my nephew
- Fix macbook (replace hard drive cable)
- Clean kitchen
- Laundry

FOOD
- Banana
- Cucumber & bell peppers
- Crispbread
- Salmon salade
- Popcorn
- Iced lemonade
- Vanilla ice coffee
- Chai spice tea

message 39: by Rachida (last edited Oct 27, 2019 06:25AM) (new)

Rachida | 92 comments <3

TRACKING
14:00 (1): Go to Starbucks, got there a bit late, Animal Farm 1-23=23p
15:00 (2): Animal Farm 24-48=25p
16:00 (3): Play with kids
17:00 (4): Play with kids, opening survey, Animal Farm 49-50=2p (can't read too busy)
18:00 (5): Participate in the #ThisIsMyQuoteChallenge, Dinner
19:00 (6): 10min stretch with the kids, twitter update, bring kids to bed, clean living room
20:00 (7): Animal Farm 51-95=45p (uit), cheer readers on @ twitter
21:00 (8): Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Promise, Part 3 1-80=80p, update GR
22:00 (9): Participate in @readathon reading sprint, Dead Until Dark 1-20=20p, update GR
23:00 (10): Dead Until Dark 21-73=53p, Read 1 hour straight.
00:00 (11): Update GR, post @ twitter, getting slumpy and tired
01:00 (12): Reveal Me 1-43=43p
02:00 (13): Reveal Me 44-86=43p (uit), Read 1 hour straight, update GR, update notebook, mid-event survey.
02:00 (14): Tidy-up living room, go to bed
03:00 (15): Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Search, Part 1 1-80=80p (uit), update GR, Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Search, Part 2 1-26=26p
04:00 (16): Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Search, Part 2 27-75=49p, Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Search, Part 3 1-80=80p
05:00 (17): update GR, post an update on twitter, fell asleep around 5:30
06:00 (18): sleeping
07:00 (19): sleeping
08:00 (20): sleeping
09:00 (21): wake up, get dressed, update GR, The Arrangements 1-16=16p
10:00 (22): added read pages to database, breakfast (crispbread), watch The Haunted Mansion
11:00 (23): Clean bedroom
12:00 (24): Play with kids
13:00 (25): 1984 1-10=10p, sooo tired haha, update GR & Twitter

FINISHED
Animal Farm by George Orwell Avatar The Last Airbender The Promise, Part 3 (The Promise, #3) by Gene Luen Yang Reveal Me (Shatter Me #5.5) by Tahereh Mafi Avatar The Last Airbender The Search, Part 1 (The Search, #1) by Gene Luen Yang Avatar The Last Airbender The Search, Part 2 (The Search, #2) by Gene Luen Yang Avatar The Last Airbender The Search, Part 3 (The Search, #3) by Gene Luen Yang The Arrangements by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Total Pages = 595

message 40: by Rachida (last edited Oct 27, 2019 06:25AM) (new)

Rachida | 92 comments <3

BINGO :)
[✔️][✔️][✔️][✔️][✔️] 1
[✔️][✔️][✔️][✔️][✔️] 2
[✔️][✔️][✔️][✔️][✔️] 3
[✔️][✔️][✔️][✔️][✔️] 4
[✔️][✔️][✔️][✔️][✔️] 5

Rij 1
[✔️] Read a book that contains the letter “D” for Deweys = Dead Until Dark
[✔️] Read a book in 3 different spaces = Couch, Starbucks, Armchair
[✔️] Read for 1 hour straight two times = ✔️✔️
[✔️] Read a book with a supernatural element = Dead Until Dark
[✔️] Read a book in a costume = Ms. Marvel costume lol

Rij 2
[✔️] Read 2 different formats = Paperback & E-book
[✔️] Read 50 pages straight = ATLA: The Promise part 3
[✔️] Read to your pet = I read from Dead Until Dark and he got up and left.. Not a fan of vampires I guess
[✔️] Read a new book = Reveal Me
[✔️] Take a break... watch/ listen to something spooky for 30 min = The Haunted Mansion

Rij 3
[✔️] Read a book not set in your country = Dead Until Dark
[✔️] Read a book with the lights off... try not to fall asleep = ATLA: The Search part 1
[✔️] Free space
[✔️] Eat a healthy snack/meal = Salmon Salade
[✔️] Read a book with a character around your age = Sookie Stackhouse (Dead Until Dark) is 25

Rij 4
[✔️] Post a comment on GR/ Twitter/ Insta = Goodreads & Twitter
[✔️] Read from 2 different genres = Classic & Paranormal
[✔️] Take a break and stretch for 10 min = with the kids
[✔️] Read more than 150 pages = 595 total
[✔️] Participate in a challenge = #ThisIsMyQuoteChallenge

Rij 5
[✔️] Indulge your favorite snack = Iced pumpkin spice latte
[✔️] Cheer readers on! = On twitter :)
[✔️] Read 25 pages from 3 different books = Animal Farm & Dead Until Dark & Reveal Me
[✔️] Read a book with a dark/spooky cover = Animal Farm
[✔️] Complete 1 entire book (start to finish) = Animal Farm

message 41: by Amy (new)

Amy | 181 comments WOW! May I borrow your Bingo layout? What a great way to post that here!

message 42: by Rachida (new)

Rachida | 92 comments Yes of course! :D

message 43: by Rachida (new)

Rachida | 92 comments OPENING SURVEY: Getting to Know You

The Netherlands

I really want to read and finish Reveal Me

Can't wait to eat my salmon salade.

I just noticed that I had to babysit my nephew last year too lol.

5. If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to?
I planned my readathon a lot better this time! I'm most looking forward to going to starbucks and get a delicious drink :)

message 44: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1761 comments I hit up Starbucks today! Got a caramel macchiato. Mmm!!

message 45: by Rachida (new)

Rachida | 92 comments Delicious!! I should make it a Readathon tradition to get at least one Starbucks drink during Deweys! Lol

message 46: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1761 comments Rachida wrote: "Delicious!! I should make it a Readathon tradition to get at least one Starbucks drink during Deweys! Lol"

haha yes that would be a great tradition!

message 47: by Rachida (new)

Rachida | 92 comments BINGO!! :D

message 48: by Rachida (new)

Rachida | 92 comments BINGO AGAIN!! :D

message 49: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 504 comments Wow! You're a bingoing machine!

message 50: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 122 comments Animal Farm is a good short but intense book for this. Good choice!

« previous 1 3