Madam, want to talk about author Mary Stewart? discussion

The Wicked Day (Arthurian Saga, #4)
This topic is about The Wicked Day
Mary's Arthurian Series > The Wicked Day - Book I (The Boy from the Sea)

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽, Moderator (new)

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ | 1048 comments The usual rules apply with respect to spoilers. Have fun!

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 271 comments Hi I'm a little overloaded with reading, but should be ready to start tomorrow. :)

debbicat *made of stardust* (cr8zycat) | 425 comments Same with me Carol. Hopefully the next few days.

Bobbie | 180 comments I am on Chapter 5 and was hooked immediately, must quicker than with the trilogy. I think this is going to be very enjoyable.

debbicat *made of stardust* (cr8zycat) | 425 comments I did start today. Curiousity got to me! Wow! What a beginning!

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 271 comments Enchantress debbicat ☮ wrote: "I did start today. Curiousity got to me! Wow! What a beginning!"

Yes very good start. I'm just about to start Chapter 3.

message 7: by Hana (new) - added it

Hana | 316 comments I'm just getting started with this. I love the scene with the young boy, Mordred rescuing another boy on the cliffs--he certainly has no lack of courage, skill and level-headedness. Even for professional climbers with modern gear these cliffs are scary.

message 8: by Hana (new) - added it

Hana | 316 comments This is a modern climbing team scaling "The Castle":

message 9: by Hana (new) - added it

Hana | 316 comments A Peregrine Falcon nest on a cliff. Peregrine's are the world fastest animal. I can well imagine any falconer wanting one of these awesome birds.

message 10: by Hana (new) - added it

Hana | 316 comments I, and the pictures, are back where they belong. I accidentally posted them in the Book II thread where I had no business being since I'm still reading Book I. I love how MS develops Mordred's character over these first chapters. He is clearly a young man of high courage but his early upbringing by the fisherman and his wife encouraged him to be a loner. Then ch 6 (view spoiler)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 271 comments Hana wrote: "A Peregrine Falcon nest on a cliff. Peregrine's are the world fastest animal. I can well imagine any falconer wanting one of these awesome birds. "

Oh he (the preegrine) is so beautiful.

Just looking at those cliffs makes me feel sick!

I'm just about to start Chapter 5. (view spoiler)

Bobbie | 180 comments Thanks for the pictures. I love Scotland and have a daughter-in-law from there. She and my son made a trip to the tip of Scotland, to John O'Groats and the Orkneys are above that. Must be very cold on the Orkneys.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 271 comments I'm up to the start of Chapter 11 now. In Chapter 9 (view spoiler)

message 14: by Hana (new) - added it

Hana | 316 comments I just checked Wikipedia and the Orkney's aren't actually that cold (at least compared to New England!) The average low in February is 1.7 C (35.1 F). The big weather problem is the gale force winds--an average of 52 hours each winter, with terrifying waves, of course. The other tough aspect of winter is the long nights--the sun rises at 9 am and sets at 3 pm on the shortest days.

message 15: by Hana (new) - added it

Hana | 316 comments This is a fun site about the Orkney Islands from a native: http://www.orkneyjar.com/tradition/in...

message 16: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments Hana wrote: "I just checked Wikipedia and the Orkney's aren't actually that cold (at least compared to New England!) The average low in February is 1.7 C (35.1 F). The big weather problem is the gale force wind..."

I would be more than happy to spend the summers there, even if it included winters, at this point...

message 17: by Hana (new) - added it

Hana | 316 comments Me too, Karlyne!

message 18: by Hana (new) - added it

Hana | 316 comments I'll second Carol on Morgause!

message 19: by Hana (new) - added it

Hana | 316 comments Mary Stewart's action sequences are always brilliant. Ch. 11 (view spoiler)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 271 comments & many years ago I was on one of the Orkney Islands (would have to look on a map to remember which one) So lovely & unspoilt.

debbicat *made of stardust* (cr8zycat) | 425 comments Starting ch 14. I’m
On the phone. Will have more time tomorrow to look at spoilers and comment accordingly.

Bobbie | 180 comments I've finished Book I and moving on to the next. This is very absorbing.

message 23: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments I got the book at the library today and have just finished the prologue. Merlin's eyes opening up and staring into Morgause's while she is " seeing" him in her secret pool - brrrrr!

message 24: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments Ok, so just finished this section and, again, I'm finding Mordred very likeable, not the sneaky, magic-dabbling boy I seem to remember from other re-tellings. This will, of course, create some very different scenarios, and I can't wait to see what twists are in store.

And Morgause! Evil to her core, but also a bit stupid? She's completely arrogant and self-assured - except for the moments fear creeps in. But she's just dumb enough to not listen to those moments.

message 25: by Hana (new) - added it

Hana | 316 comments That scene in the prologue really was chilling!

Such an interesting idea about Morgause being rather stupid. Her evil magic that can poison or bind a person to her is her one trick--and, as they say, if the only tool you have is a hammer everything looks like a nail.

message 26: by Hana (new) - added it

Hana | 316 comments Just going back over my notes and thinking about Karlyne's comment on Morgause being a bit stupid. Chapters 12 and 13 in Book I has a good example of that. (view spoiler)

message 27: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments Hana wrote: "Just going back over my notes and thinking about Karlyne's comment on Morgause being a bit stupid. Chapters 12 and 13 in Book I has a good example of that. [spoilers removed]"

She's a really good example of a woman who thinks she's brilliant, but in reality is not. What's the old adage? Be careful you don't cut yourself on the sharpness of your wit?

message 28: by Hana (new) - added it

Hana | 316 comments Hahaha! She doesn't have much in the way of emotional IQ.

message 29: by Hana (new) - added it

Hana | 316 comments Nimue is entirely different--but that post belongs over in Book II :)