Challenge Corner discussion

A Thousand Splendid Suns
This topic is about A Thousand Splendid Suns
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book of the Month Archives! > A Thousand Splendid Suns - August Book of the Month

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Felicia, Head of Team Quarterly & BOTM (new)

Felicia | 14903 comments Mod
A Thousand Splendid Suns is a breathtaking story set against the volatile events of Afghanistan's last thirty years—from the Soviet invasion to the reign of the Taliban to post-Taliban rebuilding—that puts the violence, fear, hope, and faith of this country in intimate, human terms. It is a tale of two generations of characters brought jarringly together by the tragic sweep of war, where personal lives—the struggle to survive, raise a family, find happiness—are inextricable from the history playing out around them.

Propelled by the same storytelling instinct that made The Kite Runner a beloved classic, A Thousand Splendid Suns is at once a remarkable chronicle of three decades of Afghan history and a deeply moving account of family and friendship. It is a striking, heart-wrenching novel of an unforgiving time, an unlikely friendship, and an indestructible love—a stunning accomplishment.

Mayonn I just ordered my copy from Amazon. Excited to begin reading it. :-)

message 4: by Christine (new) - added it

Christine Marshall | 78 comments This is gonna be a hard one for me to get into, I am usually into mystery and suspense; I just bought my kindle ebook copy and read the first twenty pages... It seems to be a hard to follow the customs there will be quite a few dictionary look ups for me. It will be a challenge but I am up for it!

Marissa | 1109 comments Part One
(view spoiler)

Charley Girl (charleygirl9) | 680 comments Christine wrote: "This is gonna be a hard one for me to get into, I am usually into mystery and suspense; I just bought my kindle ebook copy and read the first twenty pages... It seems to be a hard to follow the cus..."

I'm big into mystery and thrillers. I'm going to start now. I hope it just takes a bit to get into it.

message 7: by Christine (new) - added it

Christine Marshall | 78 comments Like a compass needle that points north, a man’s accusing finger always finds a woman. Always. You remember that, Mariam.”

Hosseini, Khaled. A Thousand Splendid Suns (p. 7). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. Could there be a truer statement in the affairs of women in that part of the world? We are so lucky, here in the United States to be able to even speak what is right, before both men and women...

message 8: by Christine (new) - added it

Christine Marshall | 78 comments Jinn- a supernatural set of creatures below angels or demons, of Muslim Culture... this is my first book of learning of a different culture and religion than mine, so this will be a very interesting journey... so far it seems as if Miriam has had quite the terrible life.

message 9: by Marissa (last edited Aug 04, 2018 07:58PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Marissa | 1109 comments Part Two
(view spoiler)

Marissa | 1109 comments Part Three
(view spoiler)

message 11: by Marissa (last edited Aug 05, 2018 10:55AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Marissa | 1109 comments Part Four/Finished
(view spoiler)

Charley Girl (charleygirl9) | 680 comments Christine wrote: "Like a compass needle that points north, a man’s accusing finger always finds a woman. Always. You remember that, Mariam.”

Hosseini, Khaled. A Thousand Splendid Suns (p. 7). Penguin Publishing Gro..."

Nanna seems a bit pessimistic, right?

Mayonn "...Where I come from, a woman's face is her husband's business only. I want you to remember that. Do you understand?"
Hosseini, Khaled. A Thousand Splendid Suns (p. 63).

An unsettling quote...

Charley Girl (charleygirl9) | 680 comments 12% (view spoiler)

message 15: by Charley Girl (last edited Aug 14, 2018 10:23AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Charley Girl (charleygirl9) | 680 comments 19% (view spoiler)

Charley Girl (charleygirl9) | 680 comments 41% (view spoiler)

Caroline | 1727 comments Part One
(view spoiler)

Charley Girl (charleygirl9) | 680 comments Finished. (view spoiler)

Charley Girl (charleygirl9) | 680 comments Caroline wrote: "Part One

It was sad that Mariam didn't make friends with the other women! I think her life would be better if she had, since now she basically only talks to her husband and he is awful to her! The..."

Agreed! Why pebbles? I so wanted Mariam to become friends with someone!

Caroline | 1727 comments Part Two
(view spoiler)

Caroline | 1727 comments Part Three
(view spoiler)

@Cristina (chapter 30)
(view spoiler)

Caroline | 1727 comments Part Four
(view spoiler)

Mayonn When you don't want a book to end and you're reading the last few pages very slowly... That's me today, have about six more pages left to finish the book and I just don't want it to end. It is such a good read!!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.