Art Lovers discussion

Guess Who (by artist bio) > Guess Who!?!---Francis Bacon

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather, Moderator (last edited Jul 26, 2018 08:38PM) (new)

Heather | 8396 comments __________ was born in a nursing home...His father...was born in Adelaide, South Australia, to an English father and an Australian mother.

_______ had an older brother, two younger sisters, and a younger brother. He was brought up by the family's nanny, Jessie Lightfoot, from Cornwall, known as 'Nanny Lightfoot', a mother figure who remained close to him until her death.

As a child _________ was shy and enjoyed dressing up. This, coupled with his effeminate manner, upset his father. A story emerged of his father having had _______ horsewhipped by their grooms...At a fancy-dress party, _________ dressed as a flapper with an Eton crop, beaded dress, lipstick, high heels, and a long cigarette holder...._________was thrown out of Straffan Lodge following an incident in which his father found him admiring himself in front of a large mirror draped in his mother's underwear.

While holidaying in Madrid _________ was admitted to the Handmaids of Maria, a private clinic, where he was cared for by Sister Mercedes. His chronic asthma, which had plagued him all his life, had developed into a respiratory condition and he could not talk or breathe very well. He died of a heart attack.

___________ was a figurative painter known for his bold, grotesque, emotionally charged, raw imagery. He is best known for his depictions of popes, crucifixions and portraits of close friends. His abstracted figures are typically isolated in geometrical cage like spaces, set against flat, nondescript backgrounds.

_________ took up painting late in life, having drifted as an interior decorator, bon vivant and gambler. He said that his artistic career was delayed because he spent too long looking for subject matter that could sustain his interest.

In person, ___________ was highly engaging and charismatic, articulate, well-read and openly gay. He was a prolific artist, but nonetheless spent many of the evenings of his middle age eating, drinking and gambling.

Since his death his reputation and market value have grown steadily, and his work is among the most acclaimed, expensive and sought-after.

In [year] his [painting] set the world record as the most expensive piece of art sold at auction.

Who Am I?

(view spoiler)

message 2: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8396 comments Clue: Had like-minded friends such as Lucian Freud (though the two fell out in the mid-1970s, for reasons neither ever explained), John Deakin, Muriel Belcher, Henrietta Moraes, Daniel Farson, Tom Baker, and Jeffrey Bernard.

message 3: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 930 comments Bacon?

message 4: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8396 comments You got it Geoffrey!! Good job!

message 5: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 930 comments The hint that gave it away was the Pope. I never knew he was a bon vivant. I would have thought him to be an extremely serious, studio recluse. Wow!

I respect FB´s work more than any other´s of the 20th c. Although he is not my favorite painter, I feel that his command of the brush and vision rises above his peers.

message 6: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 930 comments I feel the same about Louise Nevelson. I believe her to be the most brilliant of all 20th c. sculptors but she is not my favorite. Her command of how to juxtapose shapes is nothing short of phenomenal, but I prefer the work of Elizabeth Murray, Edward Kowal and Brancusi.