Play Book Tag discussion

The Last Watchman of Old Cairo
This topic is about The Last Watchman of Old Cairo
Archive: Other Books > The Last Watchman of Old Cairo by Michael David Lukas - 4 stars - Decathalon Buddy Read

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Booknblues (last edited Jul 26, 2018 02:00PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Booknblues | 5769 comments Michael David Lukas, tell the reader "The story of the al-Raqb family was inspired by a conversation I had on an airplane with a Bengali Muslim woman whose family served for generations as watchmen of a synagogue in Kolkata." The Al Raqb family are the watchman of the Ibn Ezra Synagogue in Old Cairo. They have been guarding the synagogue for centuries.

The Last Watchman Of Old Cairo: A Novel tells the story of the Al Raqb family from the first watchman Ali to today telling the story of Joseph, the son of the last watchman.

I found this to be an enjoyable historical novel in which I picked up some intriguing information.

Jgrace | 2815 comments Well said. I'm really glad that you made me aware of this book.

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8519 comments Some of us really loved it!

Booknblues | 5769 comments Amy, I'm so glad some of us loved it!

Writing the review was like pulling teeth for me, so it wasn't my best effort, but I wanted this decathlon challenge to count.