Support for Indie Authors discussion

Writing Process & Programs > I need title help please!!

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by V.K. (new)

V.K. Tritschler (vktritschler) | 31 comments OK, so writing the book is part of the process. And editing is the next. But now, dear reader, I have reached one of the hardest parts of all - the dreaded book naming. Like naming a child, it comes with both anxiety to get it right, and several false starts. So this time I am asking for your voice to help me please! Here is the book synopsis - take a read and drop me a line with your suggestions!

Samantha has arrived in Australia with one specific task in mind. She wants to find herself a rich husband and live comfortably and quietly from now on. But if the rude greeting from the handsome but filthy airport guy was anything to go by, this was going to be tough. Unable to work in her trained field of law, she takes on a private investigation job for a family who are beginning to believe that their new business manager not be the guru he seems. If only their son wasn't the same guy she met at the airport, things might be less complicated.

Any suggestions??

message 2: by L.T. (new)

L.T. Anderson (ltanderson) | 2 comments Hi V.K.
This sounds good, but what is the genre? RomCom, Drama, Thriller, Dark Satire, Romance?

message 3: by A. J. Deschene (new)

A. J. Deschene (ajdeschene) | 58 comments V. K.:
I don't know much about the way your story is going to go beyond the synopsis, but here goes:

Real Diamond Rings
Riches Down Under
To Catch a Millionaire
To Marry a Millionaire
He Was Rich, She Couldn't Resist
Diamond a Dozen
Million Dollar Question
(meaning marriage, the "o" could be an engagement ring on the cover)

That's all I can think of for now, I might add more later.
One of my suggestions is to just sit down and write every title that comes into your head. Some will be absolute garbage, but, with persistence, you might find one worth keeping. It works for me a lot of times.

Anyway, hope this helps!
description

message 4: by Junkomi (new)

Junkomi Eno | 28 comments

Oddly enough I find that it is easy to come up with titles for a book. (the problem is usually never finishing them or starting them.)

As far as a title goes...without really knowing the genre I can only guess as to a few titles that could be nice. With that synopsis the only thing I can title of is this book being a comedy or some sort of romantic comedy. So, the few title ideas in my head here may not be what you are going for but:

A Diamond in the Rough

Uh...okay, yeah, my brain just kind of does not have anything else then that. Most of the titles I came up with in my head would be too long for a standard novel. Sorry, I tried ^-^;

message 5: by P.S. (new)

P.S. Winn (goodreadscompswinn) | 10 comments Riches to rags

message 6: by V.K. (new)

V.K. Tritschler (vktritschler) | 31 comments A. J. Deschene wrote: "V. K.:
I don't know much about the way your story is going to go beyond the synopsis, but here goes:

Real Diamond Rings
Riches Down Under
To Catch a Millionaire
To Marry a Millionaire
He Was Rich,..."

Yeah! Thank you this is a BIG help :)

message 7: by V.K. (new)

V.K. Tritschler (vktritschler) | 31 comments P.S. wrote: "Riches to rags" Thank you!

message 8: by V.K. (new)

V.K. Tritschler (vktritschler) | 31 comments L.T. wrote: "Hi V.K.
This sounds good, but what is the genre? RomCom, Drama, Thriller, Dark Satire, Romance?"

Its a Romantic Suspence :)

message 9: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Murrell | 367 comments Foreign Relations

message 10: by V.K. (new)

V.K. Tritschler (vktritschler) | 31 comments Phillip wrote: "Foreign Relations"

Good one - thanks!

message 11: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Murrell | 367 comments V.K. wrote: "Phillip wrote: "Foreign Relations"

Good one - thanks!"

You’re welcome.

message 12: by Curtis (new)

Curtis Florence | 2 comments "Love down under"
"The aussie boss"

message 13: by J.N. (new)

J.N. Bedout (jndebedout) | 115 comments Life in the Gutter (y'know, since she has to do odd jobs and deal with criminal elements to get by...)

The Sparkling Game

The Huntress

Empire of Tears

message 14: by J.N. (new)

J.N. Bedout (jndebedout) | 115 comments One more... not sure the relevancy of any of them...

Heart of Glass

message 15: by L.T. (new)

L.T. Anderson (ltanderson) | 2 comments Taking a stab at what might be in the story:

The Samantha Charade
One Step Beau Monde
All's Fair Down Under
Better Safe Than Samantha
Blather, Prince, Repeat (sorry, couldn't resist)

message 16: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 1103 comments I have the same question, what is the genre. Her life does sound messy, which is good, so "Law and Disorder."

message 17: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Walker (jetplague) | 33 comments The Airport Aussie

This Girl and That Guy

What Happens Down Under...

Private Eye, Filthy Guy

Richie Retch

Under The Glass

Land Of The Rich

Private Eyed

message 18: by Viv (new)

Viv Zicari (atticusfinch99) | 1 comments I am drawn to her name, Samantha, I would imagine the reader might be intrigued to find out who Samantha is and what is her story.

message 19: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Beverly (writesistah) | 53 comments How about this: Imposters.

Both of the main characters seem to be portraying a false impression of themselves. And I'm partial to one word titles.

message 20: by V.K. (new)

V.K. Tritschler (vktritschler) | 31 comments These are amazing.... Thank you so much for the inspiration!!

message 21: by V.K. (new)

V.K. Tritschler (vktritschler) | 31 comments L.T. wrote: "Taking a stab at what might be in the story:

The Samantha Charade
One Step Beau Monde
All's Fair Down Under
Better Safe Than Samantha
Blather, Prince, Repeat (sorry, couldn't resist)"
LOL...

message 22: by Angelina (new)

Angelina Souren (angelinasouren) | 5 comments Viv wrote: "I am drawn to her name, Samantha, I would imagine the reader might be intrigued to find out who Samantha is and what is her story."

Yes, so was I. I found myself thinking along the lines of "Samantha on the prowl" (LOL)

message 23: by Frank (new)

Frank Grimes (voyager950) | 8 comments Hello, I am a new INDIE author and started writing a fiction novel and haven't even considered the title yet. I'm halfway done with the novel. When is the best time to start planning and researching a title? I heard several different answers,- wait till the end, do it at the beginning, and just write and the title may come to you. Any advice from any of you that have already published?

message 24: by Kaylee (new)

Kaylee Dolat | 91 comments Frank wrote: "Hello, I am a new INDIE author and started writing a fiction novel and haven't even considered the title yet. I'm halfway done with the novel. When is the best time to start planning and researchin..."

For one of my books, the title was right there by the first chapter. I knew what it was going to be named and how the whole story would go. For the other ones, I had to wait until about halfway through and then it was random title generators and "what fits here?" and testing about two dozen different titles on beta readers that had read the book.

Some books you'll have it right away. Some books will keep you up all night trying out names. Find what works for you.

message 25: by Frank (new)

Frank Grimes (voyager950) | 8 comments Thanks, Kaylee, I have started using a couple different random title generators. You mentioned beta readers, I have heard that before, I know what they are but where do you find them?

message 26: by Kaylee (new)

Kaylee Dolat | 91 comments Frank wrote: "Thanks, Kaylee, I have started using a couple different random title generators. You mentioned beta readers, I have heard that before, I know what they are but where do you find them?"

I have two that are friends. One of those two is an English Major as well so she does rough edits for me while she reads.

I would start in your friends circle. My beta readers will read over my scripts in exchange for free signed copies when the books released. Plus, a lot of my beta readers just enjoy seeing the process from raw material to book material. Not a lot of people can say that they get to experience that or that their friend is an author.

If you can't find anyone in your friends circle, check with people you trust. First and foremost make sure the beta reader is someone you trust or maybe a friend of a friend that can vouch for them.

Personally, I prefer starting with friends and family. It feels more comfortable, they know you so know how you take criticism, and they won't tell you "it's great! A masterpiece!" if it isn't.

message 27: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4310 comments Mod
Frank wrote: "When is the best time to start planning and researching a title?"

Sometime between the moment you first come up with a story idea and your publishing date.

Really, it's not something I would ever force or expect to have at any certain time. It'll come when it comes.

message 28: by William (new)

William Wolf | 2 comments Coming up with titles is fun and difficult all at the same time! Your story sounds intriguing and the first title that popped into my head was Conflict Diamond.

Really like a lot of the other suggestions too!

message 29: by Leon (new)

Leon Jane | 8 comments Hi V.K. I have a few novels in progress and usually have a name for them straight away, or something that I call the file name which is usually close to the mark. When a novel idea comes to mind I usually explore all the name possibilities for it at the same time. I even look for ideas for naming sequels for it.

This thread is a bit old and you probably have a name for your novel, but how about:

Mile High Millionaire
Excess Baggage
Mile High Gold Digger
Filthy Rich
Runway Love

message 30: by David (new)

David Wimsett | 16 comments From your possible titles, I am assuming you are writing a romance novel. The titles Excess Baggage, Filthy Rich and Runaway Love have all been used in other books and could cause confusion. Mile High Millionaire has a close match to another book named Mile High on a Millionaire, but it might work. There are no books I can find listed with the title Mile High Gold Digger. I think that either Mile High title would get people's attention. They both imply romantic encounters and money.

message 31: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4310 comments Mod
I would never worry about other books having the title I want to use. It's been done numerous times. Search for the title Night Shift and see.

message 32: by Mannie, Living life large and hard (new)

Mannie Willies | 5 comments Mod
Dwayne wrote: "I would never worry about other books having the title I want to use. It's been done numerous times. Search for the title Night Shift and see."

Yeah it's hard to find something not used before!

message 33: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 335 comments Notwithstanding that, I try to make the effort. If you want to be found by the Amazon search engine, you have to be a little distinctive. I put the title "Troubles" on one of my early ones, and if you put that into Amazon, you don't find it, as anything that sells better that can be associated in any way with "trouble" comes first.

message 34: by Karen (new)

Karen Elizabeth | 15 comments The Self-Indulgent Schemes of Samantha

message 35: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 335 comments There won't be too many others with that title!