Year-long NaNo discussion

Grace M. Morris > Outlines and Updates

Comments Showing 1-50 of 224 (224 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 457 comments Hello everyone!

I'm a little new at sharing my process.... (This is a little scary, I'm not going to lie.)

So I have been having my daily word count as 1,000 to 2,000 words. But I would love to up it to 5,000 words a day.

In real life though, I am not sure when that is going to happen, as I am working on some new life goals. =)

And though I said daily what I really mean is daily writing for one week then edits the next then writing and so on. And sometimes it is a little longer than that. =p Basically I can't stand unedited words too long. I need to be able to read and understand what I have written. Plus life gets in the way sometimes.

Right now my biggest project is the Team Vergate series.

I have published the books:

Before (book 0)
The Exile (book 1)
Planet Chaos (book 2)

And my WIP is Glass Worlds (book 3). Which is right now on the first draft with 16,475 words. =D (which is not the end of the book.... :,(

And Glass Worlds is right now on the back burner.....

Instead I am working on character interviews, the outline, history, and other info for the Team Vergate series. (which an idea but not too exact word count of all that together is 112,099.... But I will say that some it is repeats of interview questions and some of the background history was copied and paste in parts, but most of those words aren't.

I am thinking about later adding in some snippets from my outline..... But, we will see what happens as the outline is mostly for my eyes and I tend not to edit it too much, so we will see. (I am thinking about braving it though! =D)

message 2: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Phew.....

My, my, Sounds intriguing! But I totally feel you on the "life gets in the way" part.... same for me. I wish you luck!

message 3: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 457 comments Hannah Schuck wrote: "Phew.....

My, my, Sounds intriguing! But I totally feel you on the "life gets in the way" part.... same for me. I wish you luck!"

Thank you Hannah! =)

Well, the nice part of life getting in the way, is you will always have inspiration for future stories. =) It works sometimes for me anyways.

message 4: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 457 comments So I decided to post a snippet from my outline *hides in a corner* Hope you guys like it.

Clayton goes into the kitchen and got a loaf of bread throwing it on the ground towards them. He says, "Help yourself to any food on the ground." He points to the worn-out couch in the corner. "Feet off the couch. And the bathroom is two doors from the right. Keep the water in the tub for me, ya? I like a chilling bath. Don't touch anything, or something might blow up. Enjoy your stay." He charges his rifle and gets on a heavy coat. "I'm going hunting."

message 5: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Yes the inspiration is always good.... but I do hate being away from my stories.

Oh my.... Clayton does not sound nice. -_- ...... I. Don't. Like. This. Guy.

message 6: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 457 comments Hannah Schuck wrote: "Yes the inspiration is always good.... but I do hate being away from my stories.

Oh my.... Clayton does not sound nice. -_- ...... I. Don't. Like. This. Guy."

So do I. Even when I walk away from my stories for a few minutes I tend to think about them. My fingers are always itching to write them. I'm pretty sure that even on days when I am suffering through writers block and can't think of a word to write, my fingers are still itching to write stories. ;)

And yes Clayton... Hehehe. Yes, he definitely has a mean-streak. He does have a lovable side. He just happens to show his meanness a little better at times. *Grins*

message 7: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 457 comments I'm working on editing my outline right now to make it more readable, so no word count today. But here is today's snippet from the Team Vergate outline:

"So I was never good enough for you to marry, but he is?"

Beth glares at him, "He gave me soup, you gave me a crown, what can I say?"

message 8: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Oh my.... this is interesting.

Clayton.... a one - eyed bully...... ( don't ask where that came from.... ) I shall never like him ( unless he gets rid of that evil streak ) *folds arms across chest* Beth though..... I like her....

message 9: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 457 comments Hannah Schuck wrote: "Oh my.... this is interesting.

Clayton.... a one - eyed bully...... ( don't ask where that came from.... ) I shall never like him ( unless he gets rid of that evil streak ) *folds arms across che..."

Hmm, Clayton.... A one-eyed bully.... *makes mental note*

And yes, Beth! I like her too. *smiles* Though I'm probably just a little bias as I like most of my characters even the bad ones because *does evil laugh*. To be honest I was unsure about Beth at first, she was one of the characters that grew on me before I really began to like her. *shrugs*

message 10: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 457 comments So here is today's snippet, and yeah, I know, I'm not doing a great job at showing Clayton's lovable side. Oops. *Makes mental note, does Clayton still have a lovable side or did I make that up? I know I have a good scene of him somewhere. lol*

"Hey, Asha, I can't remember, do you like chocolate?"

Clayton yells in the background, "Stay away from my kid!"

Fritz freezes.

message 11: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Haha! Yeah.... I love all of my characters as well ( even the bad guys..... okay somewhat of the bad guys.... ) I also have some characters that I probably should start liking more.

Oh.... I like the name Asha! I feel sorry for her though....

message 12: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 457 comments Hannah Schuck wrote: "Haha! Yeah.... I love all of my characters as well ( even the bad guys..... okay somewhat of the bad guys.... ) I also have some characters that I probably should start liking more.

Oh.... I like ..."

I love Asha's name to. Her name actually means "hope". So whenever I look at her name I think, "she is the hope who will rise from the ashes". But, yes.... There is times I feel sorry for her. *Wipes tear from eye* Fritz was only trying to give her chocolate! That mean old, one-eyed bully Clayton anyways!

(I did find some lovable scenes of Clayton in my much too big outline, but spoilers! Though I also found some of them in character interviews. *Swipes sweat from forehead* When all the scenes I found of he was him doing something bad, I was really beginning to worry, lol.)

message 13: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 457 comments Today's snippet:

Fritz held out his hand to be shook, "Friends?"

Clayton grabs Fritz's hand, but instead of shaking it he shoves Fritz into the wall and holds his knife at his throat, "We will never be friends, Fritzerstein. I would rather kill you first in your sleep when you least expect it than be friends with you."

Clayton lets go of him and walks off.

"Thanks for the warning, I'll work on sleeping with my eyes open." Fritz said.

message 14: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Aww that's beautiful!! Yes.... chocolate!! Never hold a girl back from chocolate! Chocolate..... *dreams about it*

Oh that's good..... although Me Thinks I still don't like him. Beth - Asha - Fritz .... those are fine people. :)

Yep.... I'm all for Fritz! *laughs hysterically* *wips away tears* Oh man I love this guy..... haha

message 15: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 457 comments *Dreams with Hannah* hehe I can't ever have enough chocolate! I would have probably would have tried to take the chocolate when Clayton wasn't looking, but that's just me. 😂

Aww, I love Fritz so much too! I always have so much fun writing anything with Fritz in it. I know authors/parents aren't supposed to have favorites, BUT, Fritz makes it on the favorite list along side the character Princess who is first met in the second book. But those two are my babies! *Pats characters on heads*

message 16: by Grace (last edited Jul 30, 2018 05:05AM) (new)

Grace Morris | 457 comments So here is today's snippet:

"Princess, hey Princess. I need you to wake up!"

(The others awaken around the same time as Princess.).

"What?"

"I'm pretty sure that they are cannibals! One just tried to eat me! Do you think they are infested with diseases? Because, well, I really don't want to get some Terran disease." Fritz said.

Alvan looks at him, "You got bitten by a Terran?"

"Don't look at me like that! Yes, I got bitten by some ill-minded Terran!"

"How long have we been out?" Alvan asked.

"Long enough for me to get bitten!"

Princess looks at the bite and scratch marks. "He doesn't look all too great, but nothing vital seems to be damaged."

"Was that the good news?"

"So where are these cannibals now?" Alvan asked.

"In the ship."

"You let them stay on the ship!?!" Alvan yells.

"What else is I supposed to do with them!?! The one is dangerous!"

Fritz goes to show them the Terran. He is hiding behind Princess. (The girl is a little calmer but is breathing hard and is scratched and bruise from her run-in with Fritz.)

"Knock it off Fritz! She's blind." Princess said.

"I know that! But she tried to eat me!" Fritz pushes Princess a little closer. "You're the doctor, you go see if she's infected with diseases, so I'll know how much longer I'll live."

Princess glares at Fritz. "How about you try to talk to her."

"Me? Why me? You're closer."

"You're honestly not going to tell me that you're afraid of a blind girl, are you?"

"Me? Afraid of a blind girl? No, I'm afraid of a blind girl who bites. Never in my life with all the violence I have witnessed, have I ever witnessed anyone trying to bite another human being, let alone having my hand on the fang side."

"Well, Fritz you're more acquainted with her."

"Just because she bit me, doesn't make us any more acquainted than you are right now. I just happen to know how lovely and how good in health her teeth are."

message 17: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Oh man he cracks me up! *laughs hysterically* Fritz - Fritz .... *shakes head*

Might I suggest something or would that be offensive to you?

message 18: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 457 comments Hannah Schuck wrote: "Oh man he cracks me up! *laughs hysterically* Fritz - Fritz .... *shakes head*

Might I suggest something or would that be offensive to you?"

Don't worry Hannah, there will be no offense taken. I would love to hear your opinions and suggestions. *Leans in closer to hear* What do you have to suggest?

message 19: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Well I have noticed a pattern in your writing as it is your own and that's a good thing. But maybe if you added more descriptive words onto your sentences it would be a lot easier to imagine. Don't get me wrong your detail is fine! ;) Its on the actual conversations..... are your characters just standing around looking at each other or what are they doing? I hope I have not been offensive but challenging! Sorry if I hurt you,
Hannah

message 20: by Grace (last edited Aug 01, 2018 01:54AM) (new)

Grace Morris | 457 comments Hannah Schuck wrote: "Well I have noticed a pattern in your writing as it is your own and that's a good thing. But maybe if you added more descriptive words onto your sentences it would be a lot easier to imagine. Don't..."

I really appreciate your suggestion Hannah. There's no hard feelings at all. Three of the reasons I post here is because:

a. I put the brakes on publishing for awhile, so I could concentrate on making more content. And I thought this would be a good way for people to know how I'm going.

b. So people could get excited.

and c. To hear what other writers/readers have to say so I can grow as a writer.

And I also joined to read other people's progress on their works. 😉

So I am very grateful for your honesty. Thank you!

Now for the snippets I have been sharing.... Those are from the outline I have been working on for the books, they aren't from the actual drafts themselves.

I don't really have a set way how I write my outlines. Sometimes I will go very simple and go like: so and so event happened that will effect so and so character that will cause this fallout later. Or I will go downright complicated and write everything about that event, everything that will happen to that character, what character(s) will say because of event, and this will be everything that will happen in the fallout.

I'm not sure if anything I just said made sense. lol. (in case in didn't well,
Outline = Planer
Draft = Manuscript
Manuscript = Hopefully a Book Someday
hehehe)

Well, anyway I take that outline and then write a very rough draft that expands everything that has happened in the outline, (including having stiff characters move around a little more.)

I can't really say how many drafts I actually do, but after the first I know I do a lot of rewrites and keep feeling in the blanks. (which I always have a lot of blanks, lol)

I haven't been writing on my book for awhile. You see, umm, this is a very long series and, I thought, that it would be best to figure out how everything in all the books will eventually play out in the grand finale.

So yeah, these snippets are from my outline, so umm, very rough? Once I start getting ready to work on the third book in the series again I will make another thread where I will post snippets from the actual book book. Those snippets, while still rough, should read a little better. 👌

But anyways, thanks again! I am, always worried if my work is up where I want it to be or if it is lacking something (which it usually is). So your honesty is always appreciated, I mean I love to hear what you have to say, don't be shy! 😉

message 21: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 457 comments Working on more character interviews today. 😂

message 22: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Yeah thanks, I am glad I was helpful and not harmful! ;)

Yes that was easier to understand how your books are going and I think I got ya now! 😉 For me I like to just speed ahead and normally everything falls into place. If not then when I edit my draft I will fill in all those important details! It makes it easier for me, but for you *shrugs* do what's best! 😊

Hopefully those character productions come out alright!

message 23: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 457 comments Hannah Schuck wrote: "Yeah thanks, I am glad I was helpful and not harmful! ;)

Yes that was easier to understand how your books are going and I think I got ya now! 😉 For me I like to just speed ahead and normally ever..."

There is no really wrong way to start a novel. I used to speed write all the time with only a tiny outline so I wouldn't get writer's block too often. And I LOVED doing it.

The bigger outline is something new so me. Because all the books of the series I am writing is interconnected someway or another I kept getting lost and kept going: okay, umm, so how will this connect later on? So I started writing this huge outline so I hopefully won't keep forgetting my own plot, lol (I got the idea from all my reading of K. M Weiland's blog). Though I find that I love writing my stories this way as I seem to be a little more organize.

But that's just me, speed writing is wonderful as you get words down and get more of your ideas down on paper. 😉

Yep! Still working on character interviews, but they're coming out great! 😃

message 24: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments That's quite interesting....

message 25: by Grace (last edited Aug 04, 2018 04:37AM) (new)

Grace Morris | 457 comments I really don't know how much I actually got written today.... Maybe a 1,000? It's hard to say with character interviews....

Well, here's a snippet from my outline. =)

"Hey, I didn't kill him, he's just unconscious. I moved him in a different room, because I wasn't sure if you would eat him or not." Fritz said.

"Why would I eat my brother? That's just nasty!"

"I'm glad you think so, because I wholeheartedly think equally of that statement."

message 26: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Fritz..... can I have him!? I would read the book just for Fritz.

message 27: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 457 comments Hannah Schuck wrote: "Fritz..... can I have him!? I would read the book just for Fritz."

Haha, I think Fritz would like that. 😄 Aww, thank you, that is very encouraging!

message 28: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments *mutters* I would like it more.....

Well I like to be encouraging! It's helpful and gives others joy!

message 29: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 457 comments Hannah Schuck wrote: "*mutters* I would like it more.....

Well I like to be encouraging! It's helpful and gives others joy!"

Well, umm, Fritz doesn't really get involve with the story until like, hmm, book 4. I think he is briefly mentioned in book 3, but he doesn't appear...

You have been very encouraging! Your comments always makes me smile when I read them. =D

message 30: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Sad day.... - sigh - I can handle it.

Awww thanks. I try to be encouraging because I know that's what I like. ^.^

message 31: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 457 comments A snippet from my outline.

Fritz smiles, "Fritzerstein Zörli'ck. But everyone just called me Fritz, it's so much easier to say, especially if you happen to be running away from man eating dogs, you will want to be able to yell out something fast."

message 32: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Yeah that's a good idea. -_- If I were running away from man-eating dogs I would tell out, "HELP!!!!!" and nothin else. 😒

message 33: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 457 comments Hannah Schuck wrote: "Yeah that's a good idea. -_- If I were running away from man-eating dogs I would tell out, "HELP!!!!!" and nothin else. 😒"

Yeah, I think I would probably yell "HELP!!!!" in the same situation as well.

Fritz though would probably just argue that he is available to help. And argue that his name "Fritz" and the word "help" both only have one syllable.

But yes.... yelling out "help" would ensure that anyone available would come, lol.

message 34: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 457 comments A snippet from my outline:

Cheng-Chao shouts, "Stay back! We both are carriers of Saevus Haemorrhoidis Morbus!"

Fritz pauses for a moment, "Saevus Haemorr―what?"

"Deadly snake-like parasites that eat the organs out of your body. Surely you're daft if you never heard of it."

Fritz looks at Princess with a panic look on his face, "Perhaps you missed something?"

"No, I didn't miss anything. If there was any snake-like parasites then I would have known about it."

message 35: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Are. You. Serious? Fritzzzzzz don't do anything stupid. *glares*

message 36: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 457 comments Hannah Schuck wrote: "Are. You. Serious? Fritzzzzzz don't do anything stupid. *glares*"

Muahahahaha There's times I really worry about my characters.

message 37: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Hmmm.... and there are times where you don't.

message 38: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 457 comments A snippet from my outline:

"I just didn't know you had family, Fritz." Xenon said.

"How else do you think I was born? In a tube?"

message 39: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments *nods* Fritz has a good point.

message 40: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 457 comments A snippet from my outline. I blanked out minor spoilers, but I had to post this one.

They just stand there for several minutes, Fritz has a horrified disgusted look.

Ling senses something wrong and says, "Fritz, I―"

But Fritz cuts her off and angry says, "Don't ever do that again!" And runs off.

Ling runs after him. "Fritz, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hurt you."

Fritz spins around. "Didn't mean to hurt me? Don't you know how many germs is transmitted through the mouth?"

"Fritz, I―" then she realized that he wasn't kissing back. "That's how the people on ------ show their love towards one another."

"That's disgusting! Dishonoring! I'm not from ------! We were taught never to do what ------ does! What comes from ----, stays on -----! We are taught to bow our heads to one another in love, honor, and respect! Never to taste one's mouth!"

His words sting her. He takes off running again. "Where are you going?"

Fritz speaks without stopping. "To wash out my mouth with soap, to take a shower. Stop following, please." He quickly turns around again and Ling almost bumped into him. "Ling, I think we shouldn't spend time with each other anymore. Someone else will have teach you how to fight. Might I suggest Xenon? He's a little off-balance, but you can learn a thing or two from him."

"But Fritz, you're my friend." Ling is crying.

"I'm not your lover, Ling. It needs to end now, before you get too romantically involved with me. And start lapping me up like a slobbering dog."

message 41: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Awesome!! I totally agree with Fritz!! Although this part could be edited.... lol I'm still laughing, that was awesome!!

message 42: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 457 comments Hannah Schuck wrote: "Awesome!! I totally agree with Fritz!! Although this part could be edited.... lol I'm still laughing, that was awesome!!"

*Slaps hand against forehead* *Sees the errors* *Gulp* Yep, I need to edit it as soon as possible. =)

Thanks though! This is a favorite scene of mine. =D

message 43: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Haha.... that's okay! ^.^ There is plenty of errors in my work too!!

I laughed a lot, but I totally agree with Fritz!! :)

message 44: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 457 comments Hannah Schuck wrote: "Haha.... that's okay! ^.^ There is plenty of errors in my work too!!

I laughed a lot, but I totally agree with Fritz!! :)"

I am about 94% sure that typos and stuff just leap unnoticed into the story hoping to have some part or role. Us writers removes them, we don't add them. Lol

Me too. *contorts face* He doesn't know her well enough yet... Well, doesn't know her medical history and life story and well, basically everything about her. Plus kissing has germs and it's not really in his culture customs or in his personal beliefs to be, umm, well, kissing. Talk about over-stepping boundaries. *laughs* I can't wait to write the real thing here. 😊

message 45: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 457 comments So this will, like, NEVER will get into my books! But when I have no idea what is going on with my plot, my outline, some character, I write a nice little piece like this:

>The planet explodes. The plot explodes. The end, well not really. Megan cries about it, Xenon is shocked. This really doesn't sound good for the overall series. I mean the Perfect's can explode planets now? This might not make it into the book.<

(keyword #ThisWillNeverHappen )

message 46: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Awesome!! Expositions... I love it! *beams*

Poor Fritz...

message 47: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 457 comments Hannah Schuck wrote: "Awesome!! Expositions... I love it! *beams*

Poor Fritz..."

Well, there is explosions in the books, but hopefully not entire planets. lol

Poor Fritz indeed.... 😢

message 48: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 457 comments A snippet from my outline.

"Oh! You're being so fair by agreeing to come alone. Thanks so much! You might as well be my best friend!" Princess said.

The man laughs and says, "Who says we are being fair." And immediately men come from all sides of her.

"Oh, you brought your buddies to say hello! Hello!"

"We're not playing games, Princess."

"Actually, it's queen now."

"Oh, my apologies,
Queen. So the rumors is correct, you got promoted to the Queen of Glass. Isn't glass a little bit too delicate? You drop it and it shatters."

"You're most right -----. Which is why I am collecting the pieces and molding them into diamonds."

"But even if you are the Queen of Diamonds, your precious gems can still be broken."

"Nothing lasts forever, ------. I need your help."

"What do you have in mind?"

"I need a war."

"A war?" He laughs. "You have peace, girl! The first time in ages you have peace! We would think that a queen like you would want peace."

"Not the kind that they have offered."

message 49: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Uh oh..... she is now trading peace for a war. Sounds like her brain is messed up.

message 50: by Grace (last edited Aug 21, 2018 03:30AM) (new)

Grace Morris | 457 comments Hannah Schuck wrote: "Uh oh..... she is now trading peace for a war. Sounds like her brain is messed up."

Yep, she's a little stranger than most. *Grins*

« previous 1 3 4 5