Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes, #1)
This topic is about An Ember in the Ashes
Archived: BOM/SGOM > An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes #1) by Sabaa Tahir (Start date: August 06 2018)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 74 (74 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (last edited Jul 25, 2018 03:56PM) (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments

An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir

Laia is a slave. Elias is a soldier. Neither is free.

Under the Martial Empire, defiance is met with death. Those who do not vow their blood and bodies to the Emperor risk the execution of their loved ones and the destruction of all they hold dear.

It is in this brutal world, inspired by ancient Rome, that Laia lives with her grandparents and older brother. The family ekes out an existence in the Empire’s impoverished backstreets. They do not challenge the Empire. They’ve seen what happens to those who do.

But when Laia’s brother is arrested for treason, Laia is forced to make a decision. In exchange for help from rebels who promise to rescue her brother, she will risk her life to spy for them from within the Empire’s greatest military academy.

There, Laia meets Elias, the school’s finest soldier—and secretly, its most unwilling. Elias wants only to be free of the tyranny he’s being trained to enforce. He and Laia will soon realize that their destinies are intertwined—and that their choices will change the fate of the Empire itself.

Our new series read, please join us :)

message 2: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I'm in.

So many covers, hopefully this means this is great book that's why it's been translated to so many languages!
Mine is the cat one, except the green one I like them all.

message 3: by Ash (new) - added it

Ash (ashesofabookdragon) | 12 comments Ahhhh I’ve been meaning to read this book !! 😍😍😍

Lara | 2335 comments I've been so conflicted about this book, but am really tempted to join. In many ways it's catnip, as I love fantasy, but it also sounds like a lot of recent YA fantasy books that were less satisfactory to me. Since I own the ebook, I'll probably join. Just hoping for a better fit and a heroine who really does use her brain around males and isn't completely unrealistic in her ability to do anything.

message 5: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lets hope so, Lara!

message 6: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I don't read a lot of fantasy - nor YA.... However, they had these in HB at Costco, so I bought the first three. Let's see if they grab me.

message 7: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "I don't read a lot of fantasy - nor YA.... However, they had these in HB at Costco, so I bought the first three. Let's see if they grab me."

Yaaay!!

message 8: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I'm listening to The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1) by Patrick Rothfuss GOD it's boring! I don't understand all the 5 star reviews! There's nothing fantastic about it. I have 10 hours to go (27 hours total). I try to finish it before we start this one.
And the worst thing is that I bought the next one that series too and it's 42 hours!! ***sobs***

message 9: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments ShoSho wrote: "I'm listening to The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1) by Patrick Rothfuss GOD it's boring! I don't understand all the 5 star reviews! There's nothing fantastic about it. I have 10 hours to go (27 hours total). I tr..."

Yes, I got about half way thorough that one, ShoSho. . . then stopped.

message 10: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "ShoSho wrote: "I'm listening to The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1) by Patrick Rothfuss GOD it's boring! I don't understand all the 5 star reviews! There's nothing fantastic about it. I have 10 hours to go (27 hou..."

I wish I had known that! I bought them last year and the return option is not active on them anymore! That was a waste of 2 good credits on Audible!

message 11: by Gisela, Moderator (last edited Aug 02, 2018 05:48PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments I have The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1) by Patrick Rothfuss in my TBR and the second one too...

ETA: I realized my post was incomplete!

I haven’t started the series because I was waiting for book 3.

message 12: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Gisela wrote: "I have The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1) by Patrick Rothfuss in my TBR and the second one too...

ETA: I realized my post was incomplete!

I haven’t started the series because I was waiting for book 3."

Haahaa delete it! I was waiting for magic , action and adventure! Instead I got day to day life of a uni student! It's boooorrrrriiiinnnngggg!

message 13: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments It's a loooooong book, too.

message 14: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I just don't get why it's popular!
Anyway I'll put it on hold start ember on Monday.

message 15: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments I'm ready!

message 16: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I read the first 2 chapters, it's Monday here so I'm good to start, lol

message 17: by Lara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lara | 2335 comments I got the audiobook from the library. When my current book ends I may start this one, even though its a little early.

message 18: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lara wrote: "I got the audiobook from the library. When my current book ends I may start this one, even though its a little early."

Don't worry about being early ,I'm always early! Lol

message 19: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Chapter 8

(view spoiler)

message 20: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited Aug 05, 2018 08:42PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments chapter 11

(view spoiler)

message 21: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Chapter 10
(view spoiler)

message 22: by Lara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lara | 2335 comments ShoSho wrote: "Chapter 8

I agree about them, though one has been more sheltered than the other, by far.

As for world building, I would like more. And that is one of the issues i tend to have with YA books--the authors are often so focused on the main story that the details of the world are not well thought. In this case, (view spoiler).

message 23: by Lara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lara | 2335 comments ShoSho wrote: "chapter 11

I agree that something else is going on related to the mission, (view spoiler).

As for who is and isn't going to make it, I suspect it will be much more complicated than that, though that is what I'd like to see. So far, this is a rather harsh world.

message 24: by Lara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lara | 2335 comments ShoSho wrote: "chapter 10

That is (kind of) answered later on. (view spoiler) However (warning, and even later spoiler) (view spoiler)

message 25: by Lara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lara | 2335 comments Well, as you can see, I started last night and got pretty into the story. It helps that you can listen to audiobooks while doing other things, of course. I made it up to chapter 31. So Iit looks like I'm liking the story more than I expected, though I am somewhat dissatisfied with the world building (view spoiler).

message 26: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Okay, I started this. Only read the first three chapters, but I like it pretty good...so far. Enjoying the characters, but don't like the "over-reliance of sexual violence as a threat" though. **shrugs**

message 27: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lara wrote: "ShoSho wrote: "chapter 11

I agree that something else is going on related to the mission, [spoilers removed].

As for who is and isn't going to make it, I suspect it will be much more complicated ..."

It is such a high price, ridiculously high! Did they know how bad it could get? (view spoiler)

message 28: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Okay, I started this. Only read the first three chapters, but I like it pretty good...so far. Enjoying the characters, but don't like the "over-reliance of sexual violence as a threat" though. **sh..."
I'm on chapter 15 and it's still there. Not happy about this either!

But other than that I'm really liking this.

message 29: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Chapter 17

(view spoiler)

message 30: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments ShoSho wrote: "Chapter 17

?"

Huh apparently they are!

message 31: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments *covering her eyes* I’m starting now.

message 32: by Lara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lara | 2335 comments ShoSho wrote: "ShoSho wrote: "Chapter 17

?"
Huh apparently they are!"

Weird, aren't they?

message 33: by Lara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lara | 2335 comments ShoSho wrote: "Lisa Kay wrote: "Okay, I started this. Only read the first three chapters, but I like it pretty good...so far. Enjoying the characters, but don't like the "over-reliance of sexual violence as a thr..."

Yes, and too many of the women in positions of power seem to be unbothered by it as well. I often feel like it's a too easy solution for authors to show someone is bad, and that applies here to a certain extent as well. (view spoiler)

message 34: by Lara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lara | 2335 comments ShoSho wrote: "It is such a high price, ridiculously high! Did they know how bad it could get?

Yes, they knew very well, as they told her that the previous girl committed suicide because things were so bad, and she was the 3rd or 4th. As things go on, I wonder if her brother would be at all okay with her sacrificing herself in this way. I really question whether he would accept the damage that (potentially) is done to her.

message 35: by Lara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lara | 2335 comments So, about the augurs, (view spoiler)

message 36: by Lara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lara | 2335 comments Two things I'm confused about.

1) From reviews I read a while back, I thought that Laia would become the ember (although I'm still waiting for her to become that reluctant symbol I read about), (view spoiler). So, who is it?

2) I would normally expect Laia and Elias to end up together, and they are attracted, but each is definitely interested in someone else. I hope things don't develop too far this way as I hate love triangles and this would be even worse. I'm two thirds of the way through and still uncertain as Helene is so good for Elias though she's far too rigid in her beliefs. (view spoiler)

message 37: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments The narrators are so good that I’m enjoying this immensely.

message 38: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments Ch. 4
(view spoiler)

message 39: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Gisela wrote: "Ch. 4
[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 40: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Chapter 24
(view spoiler)

message 41: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I'm also confused with the way the romance is going! It seems like a love square rather than a triangle!

message 42: by Lara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lara | 2335 comments ShoSho, you are so right about Ch 24. Lots of developments but no answers.

However, I started getting some answers in Ch 39. And things start getting even more interesting in Ch. 40/41. The augurs really are manipulating things to ensure that Elias has certain experiences. Including he and Laia getting to know each other better.

In the meantime (esp. with the events of Ch 39 & 40), there are too many situations in which the Marshals/Augurs are willing to let their own die when they could have used some other group. I don't get that. Yes, at one point there is the issue of what someone is (not) willing to do, but it doesn't require this amount of carnage. (view spoiler)

message 43: by Lara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lara | 2335 comments ShoSho wrote: "I'm also confused with the way the romance is going! It seems like a love square rather than a triangle!"

Yup.

message 44: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments ShoSho wrote: "Gisela wrote: "Ch. 4
[spoilers removed]"

I don't think she'd mind!!!"

That’s what’s horrible about the whole thing!

message 45: by Gisela, Moderator (last edited Aug 07, 2018 11:53AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments ShoSho wrote: "Chapter 8

I like Elias's narrator better than Laia's.
As for the story, both characters have been frustrating so far! LOL
I'm sure they'll get better, they are weak and unsure now but hopefully a..."

I agree, Laia’s narrator does some of the dialogue so fast that the characters seem to be snapping at each other all the time. I agree that they’re both weak, I’m expecting some growth by the end.

message 46: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lara wrote: "ShoSho wrote: "chapter

That is (kind of) answered later on. [spoilers removed] However (warning, and even later spoiler) [spoilers removed]"

hmm yes, at one point Tristas is saying that the emperor has no male issue. (view spoiler)

message 47: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Chapter 32
(view spoiler)

message 48: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Chapter 38
Eeeepppppp

message 49: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments How far are you?
I'm on chapter 44(view spoiler)

message 50: by Lara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lara | 2335 comments ShoSho wrote: "Lara wrote: "ShoSho wrote: "chapter

That is (kind of) answered later on. [spoilers removed] However (warning, and even later spoiler) [spoilers removed]"

hmm yes, at one point Tristas is saying ..."

I think you're right about the Commandant being the previous female candidate. Although, the fact that there is only and always one was not explained.

« previous 1