You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Chit Chat About Books > Do you add anything to your reading experience?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ~Annaki~ (new)

~Annaki~ (annaki) | 83 comments My friend was just flipping through my Spotify playlists and commented on the fact that I have playlists with Chinese, Japanese, Indian, Arabic, Cuban, etc and so I explained that I use it when I read- besides a nice cup of tea and some nuts or something to snack, I also like to add music to my reading.
So for example now that I am reading Snow Flower and the Secret Fan I listen to traditional Chinese music while I read. And when I read In This House of Brede I listened to benedictine nuns choir and so on.
If I'm reading something that doesn't have a particular cultural/national significance, then I usually listen to either mellow, relaxing jazz (rainy day jazz with no vocals) or nature sounds (forests, birds, babbling brook).

Do you add anything to your reading?

message 2: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14603 comments That's really cool Annaki!

I don't add anything, I read best when it's quiet and music would probably distract me. While reading I do sometimes look up specific places/people/things in books that I want to know more about.

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather Adding to my personal reading enjoyment is a Diet Dr. Pepper (straight from the bottle), my little dog sleeping by my side and a blanket across my legs. Pure joy!

message 4: by ~Annaki~ (new)

~Annaki~ (annaki) | 83 comments Peggy wrote: "That's really cool Annaki!

I don't add anything, I read best when it's quiet and music would probably distract me. While reading I do sometimes look up specific places/people/things in books that ..."

Yes, I also look up information that I want to know more about- and I love books that teach me new things!

My background music is always fairly low and calm, and never with vocals, that would distract me. It is more ambient.

message 5: by ~Annaki~ (new)

~Annaki~ (annaki) | 83 comments Heather wrote: "Adding to my personal reading enjoyment is a Diet Dr. Pepper (straight from the bottle), my little dog sleeping by my side and a blanket across my legs. Pure joy!"

<3

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

That's very cool Annaki! I have never really thought about doing something like this before. I don't usually go in for any background noise as like Peggy I prefer to read without any noise.

I am quite partial to a glass of wine now and again though!

message 7: by ~Annaki~ (new)

~Annaki~ (annaki) | 83 comments Anna wrote: "That's very cool Annaki! I have never really thought about doing something like this before. I don't usually go in for any background noise as like Peggy I prefer to read without any noise.

I am q..."

Cheers! :)

message 8: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 244 comments ~Annaki~ wrote: "My friend was just flipping through my Spotify playlists and commented on the fact that I have playlists with Chinese, Japanese, Indian, Arabic, Cuban, etc and so I explained that I use it when I r..."

I usually read in silence while the cats are napping. This is a great idea though.

When my husband and I go out to eat, we expect to listen to Italian music at Italian restaurants, Mexican music at Mexican restaurants and so on. Therefore, it is logical to do the same with your reading.

message 9: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 887 comments I have used

"Can't help falling in love " for 1 or 2 romances.

Otherwise..nothing much.
In between I do listen to some Song or music mentioned in the book or watch dance types or singers mentioned...or do some Google search or use Google translate ,as required...

message 10: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9423 comments I can't listen to music while I read as I am confined to audiobooks due to reading problems. So, my ears are busy LOL

I do get a little bored just listening though, depending on how much attention a book demands so either do house work, play mindless games or do something artsy.