Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Archive [General] > Year Two Signup

Comments Showing 1-50 of 278 (278 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (last edited Jul 25, 2018 10:18AM) (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
In.

EDIT: IF you're new please put a note that you are and you need a hundred posts to join. Plenty of time to get them in.

message 2: by Lena (new)

Lena In.

message 3: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 16602 comments A 2 month break has me more inclined to participate in a Year 2... I was thinking about skipping next year... or not taking it as seriously...

message 4: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Iain wrote: "A 2 month break has me more inclined to participate in a Year 2... I was thinking about skipping next year... or not taking it as seriously..."

I need the break as well so I hear ya. All the mods were unanimous in wanting the break. The only thing we debated was 2 or 3 months. If people want we would be amenable to rolling it back to September 30th.

message 5: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (vinjii) | 1073 comments I'm in whenever it happens. I'm just reading as usual now...I've stopped overloading myself with buddy reads.

message 6: by Yanique (new)

Yanique Gillana | 914 comments I'm in.

message 7: by Hailee (new)

Hailee | 2600 comments I didn't join in last year because I was uncertain whether I would read enough to contribute significantly to the team score but based of what I have read this year I am now a bit more confident so I'd like to join in for year 2.

As I never filled in the "application form" for year one do I have to do anything besides state my interest in this thread?

message 8: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3611 comments The break is a great idea. At one point I was considering skipping year two but then, like Olivia, I just relaxed and scaled back on the number of BRs I was trying to cram into every month. I've been a much happier reader so I'm up for another go. I'm in.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments IN! I think I'm going to end 2018 having read more books than 2017 and 2016 combined. The challenge is a great motivator for me.

message 10: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments In in in! Not only did that competition made me read more than ever, it helped me get to know the people in this group :)

message 11: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 4107 comments I'm in for year two.

message 12: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 16602 comments Hailee wrote: "I didn't join in last year because I was uncertain whether I would read enough to contribute significantly to the team score but based of what I have read this year I am now a bit more confident so..."

Goodreads says you've read 16000 pages and 40 books this year... + BR points and Challenge points, that's probably 200-300 points for a team... better than 33% of the participants... you should have joined... Ahdam did, and he's been busy film-making and reading slumped...

message 13: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 16602 comments Diana Stormblessed wrote: "IN! I think I'm going to end 2018 having read more books than 2017 and 2016 combined. The challenge is a great motivator for me."

Me, too, almost... it's hard to double down on 60k-70k pages, tho... but I'm trying... 84k and counting...

message 14: by Andorion (new)

Andorion (ruineleint) In, for whenever, though I don't think I will be able to maintain this level of reading. As it is I think I will slacken my pace quite soon.

message 15: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5020 comments I'm in too :)

Em*Greedy* (Iniya) (iniya_n) | 385 comments I am in too .!!

message 17: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments I'm in!

message 18: by Timelord Iain (last edited Jul 25, 2018 09:29AM) (new)

Timelord Iain | 16602 comments Arkadeb wrote: "In, for whenever, though I don't think I will be able to maintain this level of reading. As it is I think I will slacken my pace quite soon."

Quit trying to overtake me... I see your 14,000 pages this month...

<.< ... >.> (This is me watching you)

message 19: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Margret | 3170 comments Mod
In.

message 20: by Hailee (last edited Jul 25, 2018 09:34AM) (new)

Hailee | 2600 comments Iain wrote: "Goodreads says you've read 16000 pages and 40 books this year... + BR points and Challenge points, that's probably 200-300 points for a team... better than 33% of the participants... you should have joined..."

Yeah I kind of regretted not joining once I realised I was reading a lot more than I was expecting to. But last year I read a lot less (I've read more this year already than I read over the whole of 2017) so I was kind of worried about being the weak link on the team. Still better late than never to jump in I suppose and hopefully 2019 will be a better reading year than even 2018 is turning out to be!!

message 21: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7422 comments Mod
Hailee, this is all you need. You definitely meet the criteria. :)

message 22: by Rob (new)

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1913 comments I"m in (and so is Julia)

Now that we have a baseline of how everyone who already participates reads, we'll be able to make the teams much more even (provided everyone re-ups again) and more competitive.

I took a hack at it a month or so back on the team scoreboard page.

message 23: by Andorion (new)

Andorion (ruineleint) Iain wrote: "Arkadeb wrote: "In, for whenever, though I don't think I will be able to maintain this level of reading. As it is I think I will slacken my pace quite soon."

Quit trying to overtake me... I see yo..."

Lol, you have an absolutely huge lead! :D

And besides, if we do the Kate Daniels books, we will be reading the same pages, so you will still be reading.

Though if I do get that vacation in October, it might be binge time...

message 24: by Hailee (new)

Hailee | 2600 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "Hailee, this is all you need. You definitely meet the criteria. :)"

YAY!! Thanks Niki :-)

message 25: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 16602 comments Rob wrote: "I"m in (and so is Julia)

Now that we have a baseline of how everyone who already participates reads, we'll be able to make the teams much more even (provided everyone re-ups again) and more compe..."

I imagine the team leaders will just use the leaderboards to make their "draft picks"...

If they do that tho, the picks will need to be:

Leader 1,2,3,4,4,3,2,1,1,2,3,4,4,3,2,1, etc... otherwise the person going first will always get the readers with the most points... and you end up with a Team Satan that's far ahead :)

message 26: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 16602 comments Arkadeb wrote: "Iain wrote: "Arkadeb wrote: "In, for whenever, though I don't think I will be able to maintain this level of reading. As it is I think I will slacken my pace quite soon."

Quit trying to overtake m..."

I can't read much more than I already do... most of my fluctuation is in work getting in the way of reading, and in spending too much time on goodreads on my days off...

message 27: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Margret | 3170 comments Mod
Also, thank you to all those who really helped us with the spreadsheet (especially Rob) and answering questions for others

message 28: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7422 comments Mod
Iain, I'm pretty sure that's how Scott is planning the draft picks to go.

message 29: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 16602 comments Leaderboard only helps with people that participated this year, anyway... I think the Pages Read page will be the most useful leaderboards... they take into account the day people were added to the competition, so you can see an accurate average of their pages/points per day

message 30: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex | 403 comments I'm in

message 31: by Em Lost In Books (new)

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2385 comments In

message 32: by Slytherpuff (last edited Jul 25, 2018 10:06AM) (new)

Slytherpuff | 328 comments To be honest I'm not sure if I read more during school or summer. I'm in.

To get a better look at pages read

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 33: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 16602 comments Slytherpuff wrote: "To be honest I'm not sure if I read more during school or summer. I'm in.

To get a better look at pages read (Message 373)

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/......"

If you click on the time and date: May 23, 2018 10:23AM, you can get a link to your exact comment: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 34: by Slytherpuff (new)

Slytherpuff | 328 comments Iain wrote: "Slytherpuff wrote: "To be honest I'm not sure if I read more during school or summer. I'm in.

To get a better look at pages read (Message 373)

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/......"

Thank you

message 35: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 16602 comments That thread made me do a tally using the stats page, and I've read 505,000 pages since I started seriously reading again in February 2013... I joined Goodreads in July 2013 to start tracking everything...

message 36: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2150 comments In. Going to get my sister to join too.

message 37: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Iain wrote: "Leader 1,2,3,4,4,3,2,1,1,2,3,4,4,3,2,1, etc... otherwise the person going first will always get the readers with the most points... and you end up with a Team Satan that's far ahead :) .."

We will do a snake draft for the reasons you suggested.

message 38: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

For new people joining read my edit in the top post.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Iain can be his own team.

message 40: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Iain can be his own team."

One of the suggestions thrown around was the top ten from this year take on everybody else. I think that would have been interesting but not really team (forum) building.

message 41: by Timelord Iain (last edited Jul 25, 2018 10:26AM) (new)

Timelord Iain | 16602 comments That could just be a secondary tab in next year's spreadsheet, for science... probably wouldn't be too hard to make... similar to how we tracked the top point score on each team this year as it's own 4 man team versus other teams...

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Scott wrote: "Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Iain can be his own team."

One of the suggestions thrown around was the top ten from this year take on everybody else. I think that would have been interesting but not r..."

Yeah, I don't think that would be as fun. I think the way we have it now, the teams mixed with readers of all levels, is def more fun.

message 43: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2150 comments Why not have the top ten readers become captains and have smaller teams. It would be fun to have more movement in the scoreboard.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Bill wrote: "Why not have the top ten readers become captains and have smaller teams. It would be fun to have more movement in the scoreboard."

Maybe just top 5? 10 teams seem like a lot. I like the feel of the bigger groups.

message 45: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Bill wrote: "Why not have the top ten readers become captains and have smaller teams. It would be fun to have more movement in the scoreboard."

Maybe just top 5? 10 teams seem like a lot. I like t..."

Bill wrote: "Why not have the top ten readers become captains and have smaller teams. It would be fun to have more movement in the scoreboard."

Maybe we'll consider this for year 3.

message 46: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 16602 comments And I'm fine with NOT being a team captain... I have a hard enough time modifying the title/book link to the threads I'm in charge of, never mind a whole team to run...

@Scott: I did a little mock-up using the current year's sheet... looks like the Top 14 and the bottom 50 are within 100 points of one another, at just under 12,000 points each...

message 47: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Iain wrote: "And I'm fine with NOT being a team captain... I have a hard enough time modifying the title/book link to the threads I'm in charge of, never mind a whole team to run...

@Scott: I did a little moc..."

I had done the same the other day. I was the one who suggested it and gave the pros and cons and we all agreed that although fun the cons far outweighed the pros.

message 48: by Bea (new)

Bea | 2052 comments In! :)

message 49: by Lena (new)

Lena A bit of group art would be fun. Kind of like that telephone game. Everyone adds and passes it on. The end would be an unforgettable work of art, lol.

message 50: by Rob (last edited Jul 25, 2018 11:09AM) (new)

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1913 comments Margret wrote: "Also, thank you to all those who really helped us with the spreadsheet (especially Rob) and answering questions for others"

Thanks Marg and Kudos to Iain and Virginie for being fellow spreadsheet geeks.

And yes - definitely a snake draft if the captain's are drafting teams.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6