Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived Threads > Reverse Readathon!

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1693 comments I'm actually pretty excited for this flip! I think that tackling the night *first* might be a little easier for me than doing it at the end of the Readathon. So much reading occurring, I'm kind of burned out by the nighttime. Anyone else feel that way?

message 2: by Devon (new)

Devon (archivist_fox) | 80 comments They started this with the 24in48 last weekend. (Sadly, I was working all weekend and could not participate). I really want to see how it goes for me because I always burn out at 1 or 2 in the morning.

Since I live in the eastern time zone this will be a fun experiment. I know that for one of the Booktubers I watch, the Dewey RAT already starts at nighttime in their timezone. Maybe they will be lucky and get to experience it starting in the day. :)

message 3: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1693 comments Devon wrote: "They started this with the 24in48 last weekend. (Sadly, I was working all weekend and could not participate). I really want to see how it goes for me because I always burn out at 1 or 2 in the morn..."

Yes, I'm on the east coast as well! I bombed the 24in48 so I'm looking for a good redemption this weekend. lol. Plus it's the end of a month-long Readathon I'm doing so it'll be good to get my numbers up.

message 4: by Lupe (new)

Lupe Dominguez (lupedominguez) | 25 comments I haven’t even thought of doing this one so I may or may not participate. In any case, good luck Readathoners!!!

message 5: by Elley (new)

Elley Murray (elleyotter) | 5 comments This is super fun but sadly my husband will be out of town this weekend and I'm home alone with my almost-2 and almost-4 year old sons... So if I stay up all night reading, they're still going to wake up at 7 am Saturday! :/ Though I guess then I can read and watch them and just feel tired all day Saturday, and the 24 hours will end at bedtime on Saturday... Hmm...

message 6: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1693 comments Elley wrote: "This is super fun but sadly my husband will be out of town this weekend and I'm home alone with my almost-2 and almost-4 year old sons... So if I stay up all night reading, they're still going to w..."

lol sounds like a juggling act! Don't burn yourself out! But read to your kiddos at bedtime, it counts! And sneak it in when you can! ;)

Amber (bookstacksamber) (bookstacksamber) | 72 comments This might actually work better for me. It usually runs 7am-7am for me and the sun is already up by then so I just end up staying up until Sunday night. At least with the time change, I'll be able to go to sleep when it's over!

message 8: by Jana (new)

Jana Eichhorn | 161 comments I work on Friday, and I get up at 5 am, so there is NO way I'll be able to do all 24 hours this time around, but that's okay by me. I plan on staying up as late as I can Friday and then hitting the ground running Saturday morning. I'm still looking forward to it!

message 9: by Elley (new)

Elley Murray (elleyotter) | 5 comments Jana wrote: "I work on Friday, and I get up at 5 am, so there is NO way I'll be able to do all 24 hours this time around, but that's okay by me. I plan on staying up as late as I can Friday and then hitting the..."

I also work Friday and wake up at 6 am, so 24 hours of readathon would really be more like 38 hours awake for me... Ouch.

message 10: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1693 comments Me too, work Friday, getting up at 6am but I feel like I'll be able to carry nighttime momentum better than reading alllll day and *then* trying to read all night. If that makes any sense. lol

message 11: by Cirtnecce (new)

Cirtnecce (wwwgoodreadscomcirtnecce) | 9 comments Guys....I am kind of stroked that I read for a change in my daytime, you know my morning world! Only hitch...my brain works better in the night! So we will see how this goes!! Let's READ!

message 12: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) | 863 comments Starting 1AM here, and have family visiting so not sure I'll make it... (especially since I've been unavailable all of last weekend due to the 24in48)

message 13: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 707 comments Elyse wrote: "I'm actually pretty excited for this flip! I think that tackling the night *first* might be a little easier for me than doing it at the end of the Readathon. So much reading occurring, I'm kind of ..."

I wish that it had started a couple hours later as I am still at work when it starts. But other than that, I'm also to be able to tackle the night time first.

message 14: by Carol (new)

Carol Evans | 4 comments I'm looking forward to starting at 8pm here. I get to sleep in on Friday and then I don't have any plans until Sunday morning.

message 15: by Rima (new)

Rima (zibute) I will challenge myself for 24h non-stop reading this time. The only problem, because I'm from Europe, my starting time will be 2am.

message 16: by Ana (new)

Ana (404-equivalent) | 63 comments I have to skip this one sadly but I hope they keep this date and reversed hours. It would be fun to see if starting at night would bring better results for me.

message 17: by Charvi (new)

Charvi (notjustfiction) My starting time is 5:30 am and I won't be able to read for 24 hours but I hope to get in at least 12 hours!

message 18: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 19 comments I don't think either 1am or 1pm is conducive to 24 hour reading! I am not even attempting to start at 1am as I'll have been at work all day and there's no point in starting off too tired to read. I'm just going to start at a sensible time on Saturday morning and read through to 1am Sunday.

Good luck to everyone attempting the full 24 hours though!

message 19: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1 comments My plans for tonight were just cancelled, so I am in! I'll try to do the whole 24 hours, but sleep may overtake me near the beginning, since I have a full day of work today, but I'll get in as much as I can, especially tomorrow!

message 20: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 68 comments Ellie wrote: "I don't think either 1am or 1pm is conducive to 24 hour reading! I am not even attempting to start at 1am as I'll have been at work all day and there's no point in starting off too tired to read. I..."

what i did for #24in48 (which starts at midnight Saturday and runs until Midnight on Monday) - was to take a nap for a couple of hours - then wake up at midnight to read for a couple of hours before going to sleep again - it kind of helped

message 21: by Carla (new)

Carla Simoes (carlasimoes) | 1 comments I will do this one but starting at 8pm in my time zone since the actual time of the readathon here is 1 am saturday to 1 am sunday and i want to try and see if the 8pm works better.

message 22: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Jul 27, 2018 07:58PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | -99 comments I'm having fun. But, I would definitely have preferred it started Saturday night rather than Friday night after a long day.

The lack of notice has actually made it a nice surprise with some quickie, surprise book choices. Kinda like a "popup" readathon. Blew my plans that for next readathon I was going to schedule a mini vacation in a hotel room, though.

Amber (bookstacksamber) (bookstacksamber) | 72 comments Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) wrote: "I'm having fun. But, I would definitely have preferred it started Saturday night rather than Friday night after a long day.

The lack of notice has actually made it a nice surprise with some quick..."

It would have bled into Monday for some people if we'd started that late. I assume that's why it started on Friday night instead.

message 24: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) | 863 comments Amber (bookstacksamber) wrote: "Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) wrote: "I'm having fun. But, I would definitely have preferred it started Saturday night rather than Friday night after a long day.

The lack of notice has actually made it ..."

Yes, for me it would have meant reading until Monday 1 am...😴😴😴

message 25: by Rima (new)

Rima (zibute) 3 books (577 p) done, another 12 hours to go. Sleep is finally catching up with me, but staying strong :)

message 26: by Newly (new)

Newly Wardell | 135 comments this readathon was different for me. it was the most laid back. I was able to catch up on a group read and finish another book. I didn't chat as much but I did find a new favorite reading snack. so mint iced tea and chili lime watermelon is just everything.

message 27: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Jul 29, 2018 07:46AM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | -99 comments Susy wrote: "Yes, for me it would have meant reading until Monday 1 am...😴😴😴 ..." -- referring to if reverse readathon had started 8pm EDT instead of Friday.

So, starting Saturday 3pm EDT instead would mean marathon ended for you 8pm Sunday?

I enjoyed this one. But, I'm not sure from posts I read for which readers it was a convenient time--other than in previous Dewey's seeing posts from some saying the regular start time (presumably Dewey's original time zone?) was inconvenient.

Maybe add a question to fall Dewey's signup (or the opening survey) asking what time zone or start time/day it is for participants. Use that to determine what would be a good start for next reverse readathon -- possibly deciding not solely by the time more convenient for those the reverse readathon was intended to accommodate but also weighing in which time would be the absolute worst for the participation of that group. Or asking what time frames would work for them in next reverse readathon.

(Or maybe before next reverse readathon, there should be a poll asking what times -- maybe in four hour increments choices -- would be do-able/impossible or what day of week and time it would be convenient for participants).

I'm clueless, except from opening surveys that ask and get posted, where everyone participating is from. I'm guessing if a reader works weekends that there wouldn't be a good time for them.

message 28: by Newly (new)

Newly Wardell | 135 comments anyone ever thought of doing a reading relay? I bet that would be super hard to organize.

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | -99 comments Newly wrote: "anyone ever thought of doing a reading relay? I bet that would be super hard to organize."

Do you mean like everyone getting assigned sequential chapters?

message 30: by Newly (new)

Newly Wardell | 135 comments or like an Olympic torch handoff? like 6 to 8 ppl teams speed reading about 100 pages until every member reads at least 300 pages against another team doing exactly the same thing. first team to get all members to 300 pages wins.

message 31: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 19 comments Dee wrote: "what i did for #24in48 (which starts at midnight Saturday and runs until Midnight on Monday) - was to take a nap for a couple of hours - then wake up at midnight to read for a couple of hours before going to sleep again - it kind of helped"

I would have completely scuppered my energy levels on Saturday if I'd done that. I'm just not very good at sleeping on demand. I still read for 18 hours but I was just sad to miss the fun of the start.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.