Writers and Readers discussion

Writers Corner > How does this make you feel . . . . ?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by A. J. Deschene (last edited Jul 25, 2018 10:33AM) (new)

A. J. Deschene (ajdeschene) | 12 comments Hey, Everyone!
I am working on a novel right now and have been for over 2 years, and I hope to publish it in December 2019.

I want a title that will elicit an impulse-click-response in people who see it or at least get them interested in finding out what it's about, so I'm turning to your advice and asking for you honest opinions on the following:
I have compiled a list of titles that complement the story and could possibly be chosen as my permanent title when I finally release the book:

1. Protecting Anna
2. Protecting Anna Kelsington
3. Saving Anna
4. Saving Anna Kelsington
5. The Way of Burning Roses
6. Way of Burning Roses
7. The Way the Roses Burn
8. A Land of Burning Roses
9. The Green Ribbon
10. The Girl with the Green Ribbon
11. Battlecry
12. Anna Kelsington
13. And a Ribbon Sailed in the Wind
14. I Watched Her Cry
15. What Happened to the Birds?
16. And Then She Died
17. Out of the Fire and Into the Flames

What do you think? Which of these titles sounds the best to you? I won't express my personal feelings for the titles because I want your opinions to help guide my final decision.
If you were offered one of these books for free . . . judging by the titles only, which would you choose to take?
description

P. S. I know I didn't reveal much about the book itself, and that's because I want to eliminate as many variables as I can so I know how the title, and only the title, affects your opinions.
I can work on cover/descritption/tagline/blurbs/reviews/etc. at a later date :)

message 2: by Addison (last edited Jul 25, 2018 10:37AM) (new)

Addison | 1 comments Hello, in my opinion and based on your question I would choose

I hope is helpful.

hugs

message 3: by A. J. Deschene (last edited Jul 25, 2018 01:09PM) (new)

A. J. Deschene (ajdeschene) | 12 comments Addison wrote: "Hello, in my opinion and based on your question I would choose

I hope is helpful.

hugs"

Addison:
Thanks, it was pretty helpful!
description

message 4: by A.F. (last edited Jul 26, 2018 09:51AM) (new)

A.F. (scribe77) | 1777 comments Mod
If I could add a bit of advice, in that choosing a title depends not just on the book content, but the genre.

For instance, if you are writing a contemporary romance or mostly romantic book, Saving Anna is a good choice.
If it is perhaps historical fiction (or historical romance), something more formal such as Protecting Anna Kelsington or Saving Anna Kelsington would work better. Or even something a bit lyrical like The Way of Burning Roses.
If it is suspense or PNR or general drama, then something a bit darker, like And Then She Died fits well.

message 5: by P.J. (new)

P.J. Roscoe | 51 comments Saving Anna kelsington jumps out for me, but I think it's so close to 'saving private Ryan' is the reason. Without knowing the genre or any synopsis, I do find it difficult to answer. Good luck with it. Titles are hard x

message 6: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Hanshew | 7 comments A. J. Deschene wrote: "Hey, Everyone!
I am working on a novel right now and have been for over 2 years, and I hope to publish it in December 2019.

I want a title that will elicit an impulse-click-response in people who ..."

Here's some advice from someone who didn't do her homework before publishing her book!

The title can really make or break a story. Before I published my book, I didn't research my title. After it went live, I was devastated to learn that not only did my book share the same title with several other books, but these books were all in the adult/romance genre. While I certainly don't have a problem with this type of story, my book is a dystopian novel. I truly believe that if my book had a different title it would have been received better.

Having said all that, I would say (The) Land of Burning Roses appeals to me and would definitely peak my interest. Good luck to you!!!