Raising Creative Thinkers Network discussion

Creativity education ideas > Encouraging reading to ignite creativity

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (last edited Jul 25, 2018 04:12AM) (new)

Michelle Korenfeld | 18 comments Mod
Very inspiring. I would add that children need to have the opportunity to present the books they have read and the ideas and insights they drew on based on the reading to their friends or family . Or they could express by making a creative educational product of their own choosing. what's important is to encourage reading as stimulus of creative thinking.

https://www.theguardian.com/teacher-n...

message 2: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman Great article. My grandson had fallen behind in second grade with his reading. My son and daughter-in-law saw reading as a chore with him and I knew he didn't enjoy it.
I asked if I could read with him every night. At seven o'clock I would Facetime and we would read a book aloud to each other. He is now in fifth grade, reading above grade level and we still read for that half-hour to forty minutes each night. It's been a rewarding experience on both sides. We end up talking about books and other subjects. He picks the books and we have read a wide variety of fiction and non-fiction, YA as well as adult books that spark his interest.

message 3: by Ada (new)

Ada Brownell | 1 comments That's great!