The Joy Of Travel discussion

Countries > Places You Want to go

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sophia, CO-MOD (new)

Sophia (puffyliquid) | 66 comments Mod
This is a chat where you can discuss places you want visit and see.

message 3: by Sophia, CO-MOD (new)

I really want to see Thailand. I've heard its a beautiful country with lovely people.

message 4: by Sophia, CO-MOD (new)

Amy wrote: "Paris and hawaii"

That's cool. Is there a spicific Spot in hawaii?

Amy (won't be online for a while. sorry to all the groups i'm in!) (mattbatt) | 52 comments Where ever they roast pigs in the ground and host luhows not sure if that's spelt right.

message 6: by Steven, Diamond Cowboy (new)

Steven Walle (stevenwalle) | 13 comments Mod
I would love to visit Greece and Itally, oh and also Affrica.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

There are a few places in Maine I would love to go and although I'm not a traveler due to owning poultry, I do have dreams. I'm very Irish, it takes up a majority of my bloodlines. That considering, I truly want to see Ireland. Then I would love to see the oceanside in Puerto Rico-- it looks gorgeous. Maybe I'd be able to explore one day, but, for now, my cement is Maine.

message 8: by Sophia, CO-MOD (new)

Kaitlyn wrote: "There are a few places in Maine I would love to go and although I'm not a traveler due to owning poultry, I do have dreams. I'm very Irish, it takes up a majority of my bloodlines. That considering..."

I have an uncle that's from Ireland and all the story's he's told me make me want to see it too. It sounds like a wonderful place.

message 9: by Steven, Diamond Cowboy (new)

Sophia wrote: "Kaitlyn wrote: "There are a few places in Maine I would love to go and although I'm not a traveler due to owning poultry, I do have dreams. I'm very Irish, it takes up a majority of my bloodlines. ..."

I have been there my dear. You will love it. The people and culture is great.
Welcome to the group Kaitlyn!

message 10: by Derek (new)

Derek | 18 comments Denmark is the top of my list, currently. Japan is up there. Sweeden as well, since many authors and bands I admire are from there.
Belo Horizonte, Brazil is another place I've got to get to at some point.

message 11: by Derek (new)

Derek | 18 comments Ireland is fantastic. Most of the people there are very outgoing, outspoken, loud, swear a bunch and drink even more. I fit right in.

message 12: by anotherfungurl (new)

anotherfungurl | 4 comments I want to go to US and Canada...

I would include Norway and Sweden but 50/50 I am going to go there next summer...

message 13: by CrabbyPatty (new)

CrabbyPatty I would like to go to Iceland during the Midnight Sun. Italy is a dream of mine, and I have a friend talking about going to Croatia and I'm totally up for the trip. I have an upcoming trip in August to DisneyWorld (we've been there quite a few times) and plans in the winter to go to Palm Springs and maybe Seattle.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Sophia wrote: "Kaitlyn wrote: "There are a few places in Maine I would love to go and although I'm not a traveler due to owning poultry, I do have dreams. I'm very Irish, it takes up a majority of my bloodlines. ..."

That's great! Yes, it does sound like a wonderful place. I hope you can make it there one day. :)

Steven wrote: "Sophia wrote: "Kaitlyn wrote: "There are a few places in Maine I would love to go and although I'm not a traveler due to owning poultry, I do have dreams. I'm very Irish, it takes up a majority of ..."

Thanks, Steven, I appreciate the invite.

Derek wrote: "Ireland is fantastic. Most of the people there are very outgoing, outspoken, loud, swear a bunch and drink even more. I fit right in."

That is too darn funny. I hope you can reunite with your gang sometime! ;)

message 15: by Sophia, CO-MOD (new)

Derek wrote: "Ireland is fantastic. Most of the people there are very outgoing, outspoken, loud, swear a bunch and drink even more. I fit right in."

That sounds awesome! And a lot like my family :D

Amy (won't be online for a while. sorry to all the groups i'm in!) (mattbatt) | 52 comments anotherfungurl wrote: "I want to go to US and Canada...

I would include Norway and Sweden but 50/50 I am going to go there next summer..."

Take it from a true Canadian. You'll love Canada we ate totally welcoming and very polite people.❤️👌🍁

I also really want to got to ice land and Australia as well.

message 17: by Derek (new)

Derek | 18 comments Australia is such a fantastic place. While they do have a pollution problem around the Great Reef, and a few too many sharks off the coastline, I would absolutely recommend going.

message 18: by Jeanette (last edited Jul 26, 2018 07:32AM) (new)

Jeanette (jj5again) | 7 comments I've always wanted to go to New Zealand but I know I put it off too late now. But you have only so many days and I was too busy in my young life to travel.

I'd like to go to Sicily and to England (2 islands)- I was in both so briefly that I didn't get to see a minute fraction. Ireland is beautiful and very laid back. You need to like Guinness. I'm not at all Irish but was raised in a 99% Irish immigrant neightborhood in Chicago. I took Irish dancing lessons and can do a good jig. There are more Irish in NYC and in Chicago than there are in Ireland. It's true. And more Polish than in Warsaw.

No one has suggested the most Eastern parts of Canada. I did that cruise and inland trip both once. It's glorious. From Bar Harbor to Nova Scotia. Highly recommend. You can see the highest tide withdrawals and it is something I remember to this day. Whirlpools and within 10 minutes the boats are all on land in Halifax.

But I'm roaming the USA more at my age now. Closer to doctors I can speak to and I love the drive trips. I'm the passenger. Lucky me. I take my cockatiel and she travels well. I had another named Sydney who also flew under my seat in a special container on ATA for nearly a decade going to AZ or CA or Washington. They were so bird friendly. I miss them. Airplane travel is not as physically easy nor doable for lots of routes or details like that anymore.

Welcome, Sophia. That's a common name in Italia. Which I have been to in 3 or 4 different decades. The walking trip up Ligurian Coast is highly, highly underestimated for fun. I did that one autumn when I was just past 50.

message 19: by Jeanette (new)

Jeanette (jj5again) | 7 comments For the person who wanted to go to Seattle. If you do, do NOT miss the Pike Place Market. And do the food tour. I've been on about 10 of those in various cities or countries, and that Pike Place Market one is way above average. The flower markets there are awesome too. Best I've ever seen- better than Hawaii. There are negatives too. Lots of beggars and that's one of only two places I've ever been nearly tackled for my "take home" restaurant box. Touched and grabbed, not just asked. They also have "on your honor" train or el cars going to the stadium. I had a good laugh with a policeman there about that. It would never work in IL.

message 20: by Jeanette (new)

Jeanette (jj5again) | 7 comments Many of you mention Scandinavian countries. I've been and also to Iceland on a layover. Know that the Scandinavian countries are very, very, very, very expensive. One drink can be as much as an entire meal elsewhere.

message 21: by Sophia, CO-MOD (new)

My gosh! You’ve been to many places!
It sounds like an awesome way to live.
You mentioned my name is a common Italian name, My great grandparents were part italian, and they named their daughter sophia, and so i got named after my grandmother.

message 22: by Jeanette (new)

Jeanette (jj5again) | 7 comments That's entirely Italian to do that, Sophia. It's tradition and in some parts of Italy nearly endemic. The children are named after the grandparents. 1st boy is almost always after the father's father. In my family I am only the very first to have ever broken the mold. But my daughter is Jennifer and her grandmother was Vincenza and they called her Vinjenza or Jenny.

I'm been to Italy many times. And to Germany both before and after the split and rejoining. My Dad is from Idar-Oberstein and his home town is AWESOME. The streets are up and down the mountain. And the church is carved out of the mountain itself near the top. My youngest son went there about 2 years ago and found a guy in the tavern that looked enough like my Dad to be his sibling. We got pictures. The world is small.

message 23: by Jeanette (new)

Jeanette (jj5again) | 7 comments That's entirely Italian to do that, Sophia. It's tradition and in some parts of Italy nearly endemic. The children are named after the grandparents. 1st boy is almost always after the father's father. In my family I am only the very first to have ever broken the mold. But my daughter is Jennifer and her grandmother was Vincenza and they called her Vinjenza or Jenny.

I'm been to Italy many times. And to Germany both before and after the split and rejoining. My Dad is from Idar-Oberstein and his home town is AWESOME. The streets are up and down the mountain. And the church is carved out of the mountain itself near the top. My youngest son went there about 2 years ago and found a guy in the tavern that looked enough like my Dad to be his sibling. We got pictures. The world is small.

message 24: by Sophia, CO-MOD (new)

@Jeanette, yeah, my older brother is named after my father's father, and my older sister after my mother's mother.

That sounds like such a cool town!
I love visiting new places and seeing the architecture. The contrast between places.

Amy (won't be online for a while. sorry to all the groups i'm in!) (mattbatt) | 52 comments Derek wrote: "Australia is such a fantastic place. While they do have a pollution problem around the Great Reef, and a few too many sharks off the coastline, I would absolutely recommend going."

Coolio

message 26: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (tom471) | 25 comments Our wish list(both agree)

Scandinavian Capital cruise--Oslo, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki
Rhine/Moselle river cruise, Amsterdam-Basel
Elbe river cruise, Berlin to Prague
Australia/New Zealand--probably a cruise, but still undecided
South America cruise, Valparaiso to Buenos Aires
Quebec road trip to see covered bridges. My wife is a cb fan. 575 cbs visited so far. See http://www.vermontbridges.com/keating...
One of several cb travelogues that I wrote.

message 27: by Sophia, CO-MOD (new)

@Thomas, cruises are very nice. I've only ever been on a cruise ship, never on an actual cruise. I have been on lots and lots of boats, though. All these places sound awesome!
What cruise, that you have been on, was your favorite?

message 28: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (tom471) | 25 comments Galapagos islands with Celebrity and Antarctica with Hurtiigruten are tied. Liz and I planted trees on our 45th anniversary on Santa Cruz, Galapagos. There is a tree planting picture in my profile.

message 29: by Sophia, CO-MOD (new)

Wow :D

message 30: by Cristina (new)

Cristina Morrison | 6 comments I'm happy to share tips on Paris, Amsterdam and parts of Spain. This year I am making a dream come true by spending 12 days in the Sacred Valley of Peru, visiting Macchu Piccu and exploring the beautiful city of Cusco. I will share when I return!

Amy (won't be online for a while. sorry to all the groups i'm in!) (mattbatt) | 52 comments Please do I want to hear all about Machu piccu

message 32: by Sophia, CO-MOD (new)

Same here!!

message 34: by Samanta (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) CrabbyPatty wrote: "I would like to go to Iceland during the Midnight Sun. Italy is a dream of mine, and I have a friend talking about going to Croatia and I'm totally up for the trip. I have an upcoming trip in Augus..."

CrabbyPatty, do come to Croatia. You'll be most welcome. :)

My dream places are Spain, UK and Ireland (want to see that nature and castles!!), Marocco, Egypt.

Last year I managed to go to my dream place, Andalusia in Spain, and it was WOW! My family from my father's side is said to had come from Seville and so, Andalusia is a dream land for all of us. :)

message 35: by Steven, Diamond Cowboy (new)

I would love to visit the eastern side of Canada, the state of Maine, New Zealand, and Cambodia.

message 36: by Kim (new)

Kim Lee-yuk | 2 comments Bhutan, Ireland, Scotland, New Zealand and Kenya.

message 37: by Sophia, CO-MOD (new)

Steven wrote: "I would love to visit the eastern side of Canada, the state of Maine, New Zealand, and Cambodia."

Cambodia is absolutely beautiful!!

message 38: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (tom471) | 25 comments I grew up in Buffalo and now live north of the city. See what a British tourist writer has to say. https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/tr...

message 39: by Sophia, CO-MOD (new)

Amazing!

message 40: by Steven, Diamond Cowboy (new)

Tokkie the Extroverted Meerkat wrote: "This is a chat where you can discuss places you want visit and see."
I would like to visit New Zealand and the islands and lands of Asia Minor.

message 41: by Sophia, CO-MOD (new)

Steven wrote: "Tokkie the Extroverted Meerkat wrote: "This is a chat where you can discuss places you want visit and see."
I would like to visit New Zealand and the islands and lands of Asia Minor."

Nice! New Zealand is beautiful! I have a friend that is from Turkey, and all the stories he's told me are wonderful. I hope you get to see these places one day.

message 42: by Steven, Diamond Cowboy (new)

Tokkie the Extroverted Meerkat wrote: "Steven wrote: "Tokkie the Extroverted Meerkat wrote: "This is a chat where you can discuss places you want visit and see."
I would like to visit New Zealand and the islands and lands of Asia Minor...."

Thank you dear I will.