Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > New Beta Reader

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Kennedy (jtkennedy222) | 1 comments Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I am here to offer free eyes to new authors looking to get their own works out into the world. I will tell you bedorehand that I have not been a reader my whole life, I only got into reading towards my later years in high school, but I would say that I have a pretty decent open mind toward new stories. I love learninf about new worlds, getting the chance to explore new characters and caring about everything that they do. I would like to give any free time I have to help new authors create their own perfect story that they want the world to read.
Preferably I would like to read Fantasy, more high or epic fantasy as I just love the time period in which most of thr stories take place. Anything apocolyptic I enjoy as well. I love series like Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones if that helps give indication on what stories I enjoy most.
If you would like someone to help try and make your story better I will do my absolute best to help. Please let me know if you have anything you would like me to read. Thank you!
-Jonathan

message 2: by Jinny (new)

Jinny Hawkins | 5 comments Hi! Would you be willing to try out my book? its YA science fiction

message 3: by Thomas (last edited Aug 05, 2018 01:09AM) (new)

Thomas | 23 comments Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for offering to read, it's not easy to find beta readers and feedback is always useful.

Would you be interested in my book, Featherwall? It's fantasy, but low (no active magic, no kings/queens/knights) . A synopsis is below:

Driven through a harsh land by an unkind Mumma and a father laid low, Tad wants nothing more than to heal his father and go back the happy life he remembers--and that means going forward, ever forward, down the road to Featherwall. Slowed by bandits, besieged by heat and hounded by disease, thirst and hunger, Tad finds himself squaring off in a battle of wills with an unexpected opponent: Mumma, who seems content to stop short of their goal.

Finally arriving at the desert town of Featherwall, awestruck by its mile-high wings and mighty water towers, Tad finds his mother lied to him--the highmen cannot heal his father. But where one path closes, another opens: the fabled tears of the winged man, around whose gargantuan wings the town is built, are said to grant any wish. Thousands brave the desert and the bloody festival for a chance to capture those tears and change their lives. Bound by necessity, shackled by poverty and caught up in forces he does not understand, Tad must now risk all to do the same.

If you'd like to see some sample chapters before deciding, just let me know here or at bobriviera79@gmail.com.

Thanks!

message 4: by A (new)

A Holding | 7 comments Hi Jonathan,

Are you still seeking novels to read? If so I have an epic fantasy that takes a somewhat comic spin on many of the ethereal people and creatures we all so love. There's angst riddled teens, psychotic faeries, vegetarian vampires and werefoxes to name just a few. If you're interested let me know and I'll provide some more background. Thanks for your time. Steve.

message 5: by Vartul (new)

Vartul Srivastava | 2 comments Hi, my story is YA Fantasy, and it would be great if you'd give my first chapter a look and tell me what you think. I'm posting a blurb below to help you decide. Either way, what you're doing is really cool. :)

Iri is searching for her god, and Dev is running away from his.

He's been running for a long time. Since he crawled out of the ruins of his house to his brother's body—to his bleached face and broken teeth, the storm swirling in his dead eyes. Iri was forsaken by her god, chased out of her village and abandoned by her mother, yet belief burns bright in her eyes, her faith her only guard against the yawning abyss of grief and madness.

They wander alone, half-dead and lost, before a priest rescues them and takes them in. When Iri accidentally poisons the priest, she and Dev embark on a journey to find the antidote, a quest that takes them through the war-hewn heart of a goddess, through forests that eat memories, through bitter wintry snowstorms and ocean-deep hurricanes, and cities that churn and flicker in a god's troubled dream.

With his gods—the Varai drawing near, Dev can't sleep. Every night, he dreams the same dream. Bleached face, broken teeth. And a ghastly smile, rotted fingers beckoning. Iri finds her faith crumbling before her doubts. She can no longer withstand the weight of her memories and her pain. If only she could break free and fly, perhaps far away.

When the Varai ambush Dev, Iri saves his life, but is taken captive by them. Fearful but determined, he sets out to find the very gods he's been running from all his life, even as Iri discovers that it is her faith that holds her prisoner. To break out, she must forsake her god. She must risk the abyss, and learn to fly.

message 6: by Lizet (new)

Lizet Engelbrecht | 15 comments Hi Jonathan,
Thanks for offering to Betta Read. If you are still available I realy could do with some feedback.
Genre = YA Fantasy
Words = 75000
Title = Trinity; Victory, Friendship or Loyally?
If you are interested contract me. Thanks.
Lizet.darling@yahoo.com
Lizet(dot)darling@yahoo(dot)com

message 7: by Boris (new)

Boris | 11 comments Hi Jonathan,

Are you still looking for works to read? I have a thoroughly reviewed manuscript for an entire series (4 books of 100k words each). It is a historic fantasy set in the late ancient world.

The story is about an orphan girl, Sameerah, raised by steppe nomads. She tries to find her real parents and on this long adventurous journey discovers herself and her ‘destiny’. She is reluctantly joined by a sceptical and bookish scholar that had to flee his homeland and is looking for a missing friend. We also follow a young Sarmatian hunter, a Kurdish prince, a Greek/Scythian warrior queen and even a Roman emperor. It is about love, loyalty, revenge and deceit. There are brutal Roman legionnaires, scheming Babylonian magistrates, exotic Sogdian traders, sensual Sarmatian dancers, mysterious dark priests, faeries, dwarves, monsters and lots of beautiful horses.

Cheers,
Boris

message 8: by Kat (new)

Kat Devitt (kat_devitt_author) | 101 comments Hi! I'm seeking a beta reader for a Gothic ghost story. It's a short piece at only 1,800 words. It's a dark story with measured pace, teasing the reader to the twist ending.

My issue with the story is something feels off. I can't pinpoint what the issue might be, and I hope a beta reader or two can help remedy this. I'm too close to the work, and I need a second pair of eyes,

Please message me here, or email me at katdevittauthor (@) gmail (.) com.

message 9: by Jackie (last edited Oct 13, 2018 11:11PM) (new)

Jackie Blackstone (jackieblackstone) | 9 comments Hello, Jonathan!

My completed 165k high fantasy novel has been enjoyed by alpha readers who were fans of both LotR and Game of Thrones. Although I can’t guarantee you will like it (preferences vary, of course) I think it may be a good fit for you as a beta reader! I’m looking for several betas to read this novel during the month of November, as I cannot afford a professional editor at this time and would appreciate a new perspective on the characters and story.

Check it out if you get a chance, and let me know if you’re available!

message 10: by Neda (new)

Neda Aria Hi Jonathan. Please check my book here: ENARO
If interested message me your email so I can send it to you

message 11: by William (new)

William Walters | 111 comments Newcastle is a 182030-word historical fiction about the Richards family, based on the plantation named Newcastle in South Carolina. The novel follows the family from the period just after the Revolutionary War to the opening days of the Civil War. The slave conversations in the opening chapters are written in Gullah the original slave language translated to English by footnotes.